• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

HSBC Womens Sevens R5 - Clermont

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
Tim Walsh has chosen his strongest team for the final tournament of the season, in Clermont.

Ellia Green and Evania Pelite have returned from injury and so has co-captain Sharni Williams who was crocked in the opening round at Dubai in December.

The squad: Shannon Parry, Sharni Williams, Nicole Beck, Tiana Penitani, Emma Tonegato, Evania Pelite, Charlotte Caslick, Chloe Dalton, Amy Turner, Emilee Cherry, Ellia Green, Alicia Quirk. 13th player: Georgie Friedrichs.

Pencil that team in for the Rio Olympics. I have mentioned before that the Dubai squad would be the team for Rio, barring the possibility of Penitani making it (because she was injured before Dubai) and it may work out that way.

Though Williams and Green will be short of a gallop the Aussies will have a strong chance of winning the Cup in Clermont with that team - and have to finish only sixth to get enough points to win the Series.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Great to see Sharni Williams playing her first tournament for a long while.

Along with Shannon Parry, the two of them really provide the team with a physical edge.

So, who's right, Tim Walsh or Andy Friend?

Might be a workload thing. The men are playing their 10th tournament this weekend and the women are playing their 5th.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Great to see Sharni Williams playing her first tournament for a long while.

Along with Shannon Parry, the two of them really provide the team with a physical edge.

Might be a workload thing. The men are playing their 10th tournament this weekend and the women are playing their 5th.

Two and a half months or thereabouts to get over any workload issues. I don't believe the likes of Jenkins, Clark, Myers and Killingworth have been overplayed lately anyway.

Have to say I like the approach Walsh has taken with the Women's team.

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
So, who's right, Tim Walsh or Andy Friend?

Maybe its the difference between being the number one team and the number 6 team. Walsh is looking to bed in his best team for the Olympics, Friend is searching for a nugget that might get him a medal in a mountain of slag.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Aussie women have pretty much got the title sewn up, 12 points clear which I think means they'd have to lose every match & NZ win all theirs.

1. Australia 76
2. New Zealand 64
3. England 60
4. Canada 54
5. France 48

Full standings here:

http://www.worldrugby.org/womens-sevens-series/standings

Pool A: England, Spain, USA, Kenya
Pool B: New Zealand, Canada, Russia, Japan
Pool C: Australia, France, Fiji, Ireland

Fixture list here:

http://www.worldrugby.org/womens-sevens-series/stage/1640/match/

As I've mentioned a coupla times, wifey & I are friends of Amy Turner's mum & stepdad so I'm really pleased to see her in the 12 & hoping she's there in Rio: Lenore & Pete have worked their butts off to get there so I'd hate to see them go all that way & not get to see Amy win a medal (still can't get Lenore to confirm who she'll be going for if its a trans-Tasman GF :)).

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)
Aussie women have pretty much got the title sewn up, 12 points clear which I think means they'd have to lose every match & NZ win all theirs.

1. Australia 76
2. New Zealand 64
3. England 60
4. Canada 54
5. France 48

Full standings here:

http://www.worldrugby.org/womens-sevens-series/standings

Pool A: England, Spain, USA, Kenya
Pool B: New Zealand, Canada, Russia, Japan
Pool C: Australia, France, Fiji, Ireland

Fixture list here:

http://www.worldrugby.org/womens-sevens-series/stage/1640/match/

As I've mentioned a coupla times, wifey & I are friends of Amy Turner's mum & stepdad so I'm really pleased to see her in the 12 & hoping she's there in Rio: Lenore & Pete have worked their butts off to get there so I'd hate to see them go all that way & not get to see Amy win a medal (still can't get Lenore to confirm who she'll be going for if its a trans-Tasman GF :)).

For you....and a lovely story:

http://www.sbs.com.au/topics/zela/a...er-amy-turner-looking-different-kind-gold-rio

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)
The ongoing success of the Australian women's rugby 7s team, a wonderful advertisement for:

- innovative thinking re how to build a balanced, skilful team from a near-zero start point

- based upon 'open world' recruiting of female talent that invited Anybody and Everybody to have a go at 7s which led to

- Australia's rich vein of sporting talent turning up from all walks of personal background and athletic experience and finding out how much fun rugby 7s could be meaning

- Australian rugby for once broke out of its microcosmic niches and largely privileged geographic areas and opened its arms to every place whilst also

- hiring a really competent and highly motivated HC and leaving him alone to develop the team and prove his and their skill.

So, the team's success is no co-incidence. Maybe this is the way all Australian rugby needs to develop, or at least to extract from this the very best components of what the success of our women's team has yielded up for our viewing pleasure.

Congratulations ARU. For once.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
You can also search it on YouTube to get the live stream. Seems to work better for me there than in the embedded format on their page (something to do with Chrome).

Jagman

Trevor Allan (34)
Is anyone actually streaming this. Trying to get it on my phone and there's no obvious video from the website.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ChargerWA

Mark Loane (55)
I couldn't get it on the World Rugby website. I followed Pfitzys advice and it came straight through on YouTube.

Huge congrats to the Aussie Women. Love that they didn't overcelbrate the World Series win. They look like a sharp unit who are looking at the big picture.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Australia 35-0 Spain.

Is anyone actually streaming this. Trying to get it on my phone and there's no obvious video from the website.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Streaming chews up too much data for me so I'm relying on the live scoring from WR (World Rugby)'s website.

Status
Not open for further replies.