• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Ideas for NRC

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
BR, tries are worth 5, conversions 3 and PGs/DGs 2.

With no-one going for any of the latter in the vast majority of games, the 1 point margin is simply harder to achieve.

The only way I can currently think of is that if one side has at least 3 tries, of which 3 are unconverted, and the other side has one fewer try, but 2 more conversions.

Whereas the multiples of 5, 3 and 7 far more regularly create 1 point gaps, or the nearly equally exciting 2 point gap, as a single kick can still win the match.

Thanks H35. Just had an all time massive brain explosion. But still, I think it would work better if the conversion was only 2 points as well. Try = odd, converted try = odd, penalty/field goal = even. Greater scope for the scores to be able to alternate on a late goal.

Ozee316

Ward Prentice (10)
The problem is THAT NSWRU Board members will be drawn from Shute Shield club Boards. This inbred situation us why NSWRU is standing by and doing nothing - because the Shute Shield clubs have been protesting their relegation to '4th tier' status and want to sabotage the NRC. It's like a union strike.

Ozee316

Ward Prentice (10)
The reality is that the ARU has had to intervene. It would be nice to see Brumbies help out with NSW Country but we'll see. If the other two 'East' and 'West' Sydney teams come under more direct ARU management in coming years this may not be a bad thing. The NRC let's face it is going to go from strength to strength and will be a major drawcard for aspiring players, coaches and fans in coming years with full support of the ARU and broadcasters. There will be international interest in the games before long as the competition enters it's 5th year

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
The reality is that the ARU has had to intervene. It would be nice to see Brumbies help out with NSW Country but we'll see. If the other two 'East' and 'West' Sydney teams come under more direct ARU management in coming years this may not be a bad thing. The NRC let's face it is going to go from strength to strength and will be a major drawcard for aspiring players, coaches and fans in coming years with full support of the ARU and broadcasters. There will be international interest in the games before long as the competition enters it's 5th year
Bit of work to do to get there but Nrc vital missing pathway cog and at national level that has been missing

Caputo

Billy Sheehan (19)
With the Rams taking so long to fill out their squad I would like G&G to help.
Scrap the Sydney teams chosen and have it done as an online draft.

Sydney North Harbour Rays - Chosen by Dave Beat
Greater Western Rams - Chosen by Lindommer
NSW Country - Chosen by either Braveheart, Gnostic or Cyclopath.

Squad Size 35 - 20 Forwards 6 Props 3 Hookers 5 Locks 6 Back Rowers - 15 Backs 3 Half Backs and 2 for all other positions.

Set number of Under 20 players 5 in each squad.

See if the distribution of talent might be different.

Here are some players not chosen yet Sandell, Vunipolo Fifita, Hugh Roach, or Nick Kellaway.

I might be interesting the order of the picks. Whether all the NSW players go first or main positions THP then Hooker etc

MACCA

Ron Walden (29)
NRC ??? its invisible ATM. Am wondering whether the NRC was forced on Fox by the ARU as part of the rugby rights deal and, whilst Fox has taken it on, it has done so without any enthusiasm. There seems to be bugger all promotional effort happening - people I speak to ask me if it is on and when I tell them yes, they ask why it isn't promoted.
Interestingly, understand Channel 7 procured 75% of the total national viewers for the Waratahs matches with the Shute Shield broadcast from NSW alone. Fox may well be smart to tap the potential of grassroots rugby.
My message to Fox & the powers that run rugby - promote the NRC!

Shadow

Sydney Middleton (9)
Last year during the NRC i was flicking through the Telegraph looking for any news on the upcoming NRC games.
I started from the backpage and kept flicking through the pages and found s tiny article on the page next to the advertising for brothels and massage parlours.
That showed me how much the written press think about the NRC.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
NRC ??? its invisible ATM. Am wondering whether the NRC was forced on Fox by the ARU as part of the rugby rights deal and, whilst Fox has taken it on, it has done so without any enthusiasm. There seems to be bugger all promotional effort happening - people I speak to ask me if it is on and when I tell them yes, they ask why it isn't promoted.
Interestingly, understand Channel 7 procured 75% of the total national viewers for the Waratahs matches with the Shute Shield broadcast from NSW alone. Fox may well be smart to tap the potential of grassroots rugby.
My message to Fox & the powers that run rugby - promote the NRC!
The nrc would have to be one of the worst promoted national competitions. Who would have a clue outside those who visit these sort of threads this competition is on and about to start next week.

Gees nrl, A-league and afl must be so threatened by rugby! (I can see the fits of laughter on that one).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
Agree with the marketing and promotion commentary above

Who's responsibility is it.
Fox?
ARU?
NSWRU?
Or Franchise?
I would hope that if a story presents itself to a franchise a franchise jumps on board and helps as well rather than expect one of the layers above to be responsible.

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
With the Rams taking so long to fill out their squad I would like G&G to help.
Scrap the Sydney teams chosen and have it done as an online draft.

Sydney North Harbour Rays - Chosen by Dave Beat
Greater Western Rams - Chosen by Lindommer
NSW Country - Chosen by either Braveheart, Gnostic or Cyclopath.

Squad Size 35 - 20 Forwards 6 Props 3 Hookers 5 Locks 6 Back Rowers - 15 Backs 3 Half Backs and 2 for all other positions.

Set number of Under 20 players 5 in each squad.

See if the distribution of talent might be different.

Here are some players not chosen yet Sandell, Vunipolo Fifita, Hugh Roach, or Nick Kellaway.

I might be interesting the order of the picks. Whether all the NSW players go first or main positions THP then Hooker etc

Not following, let me know though and I'll have a crack.

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
Similar for me, haven't watched enough Shute Shield to comment. But thanks for the sentiment.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Got to say enjoying more NRC games over the weekend on fox sports....as the streaming bit less enticing and now enough games on to watch just those on foxsports. Also probably good move to can Thursday night games as not developed enough comp to probably get much traction for mid week games.

Also I think the move to drop a NSW team has been a good move as now have 3 decent and competitive NSW sides which makes for more interesting competition.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
yes and I was a stars supporter but was still vocal they needed to go as also being effectively backed by only 1 shute shield side (Balmains subbies token partner) meant wrong model and indeed just made it too hard for NSW to be competitive with 4 sides.

I am ok going to Rams games at Concord as close enough and taking mates who live in the inner west to next weeks game. Plus uni supporters now get a game to watch at Sydney Uni itself so all probably a win win.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Like the idea - but lets not have 9 teams again as bye did not really work. Make it 8 or 10 teams and if not ready to have 2 sides added wait until we are.

Not sure if we could put two teams in next year - maybe the year after....

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
Yeah, right number for teams in Oz.

But we can still add that Fijian side next year, right?

Why not? Completely different talent pool in terms of where they source their players. The Fijian team should be pretty interesting. Do they go with one of their provincial sides or do they enter the Warriors? The former could be interesting but the latter could be frightening.