• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Ideas for NRC

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
Many junior clubs in Sydney hold their presentation days this weekend. A thought for next season, rather than having them at each club, hold them at an NRC/women's 7s comp day.
Think of today's Mac Uni day. Plenty of space for each local club to have a roped off section for their awards, then everyone heads over to watch the games.

Clubs have between 200-400 juniors each, add in the parents, let them watch the game free and you've got a pretty big crowd. Set up a food festival and other activities for kids and you'd have an amazing rugby day out.

Mate, you should put your hat in the ring for head of marketing.

p.Tah

John Thornett (49)
Mate, you should put your hat in the ring for head of marketing.
I was just at a presentation today. There were about 500 people there. Good fun but then it finished and everyone went home. A good captive audience if we could tap into it. The Shute Shield finals has shown us how much families love easily accessible rugby during kid friendly hours.

Edit: In close proximity to Mac Uni you have Norths Pirates, Mosman, Chatswood, Roseville, Lane Cove, Lindfield, West Pymble-Killara, Wahroonga, St Ives, Hornsby, Ryde, North Rocks, Epping, Central Eastwood. Thats a lot of potential spectators.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
I was just at a presentation today. There were about 500 people there. Good fun but then it finished and everyone went home. A good captive audience if we could tap into it. The Shute Shield finals has shown us how much families love easily accessible rugby during kid friendly hours.

Edit: In close proximity to Mac Uni you have Norths Pirates, Mosman, Chatswood, Roseville, Lane Cove, Lindfield, West Pymble-Killara, Wahroonga, St Ives, Hornsby, Ryde, North Rocks, Epping, Central Eastwood. Thats a lot of potential spectators.
Absolutely must take every opportunity like this - hopefully organisers consider this next year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Gees it highlights rugby's struggles and challenges for the NRC...as even with Fiji games can't get any reporting of results in Sydney papers....not even in the results section....

Tragic.......

southsider

Arch Winning (36)
Many junior clubs in Sydney hold their presentation days this weekend. A thought for next season, rather than having them at each club, hold them at an NRC/women's 7s comp day.
Think of today's Mac Uni day. Plenty of space for each local club to have a roped off section for their awards, then everyone heads over to watch the games.

Clubs have between 200-400 juniors each, add in the parents, let them watch the game free and you've got a pretty big crowd. Set up a food festival and other activities for kids and you'd have an amazing rugby day out.

Granted I haven't been to a junior preso in a while but last one from memory went for over an hour, you going to have 200-400 kids plus parents standing around for that long? Parking would be a nightmare and I don't think there would be enough flat surface available for all those clubs to hold their presentations add in that many clubs have formal or informal arrangements with local establishments.......nice idea in theory but logistically not even a little bit viable

p.Tah

John Thornett (49)
Granted I haven't been to a junior preso in a while but last one from memory went for over an hour, you going to have 200-400 kids plus parents standing around for that long? Parking would be a nightmare and I don't think there would be enough flat surface available for all those clubs to hold their presentations add in that many clubs have formal or informal arrangements with local establishments...nice idea in theory but logistically not even a little bit viable
I've attended two different club presentations this weekend. Presso goes for 30 mins the other 1.5hrs is parents drinking and kids running around. I'm not sure why holding something with multiple clubs is not possible. We have this many kids/parents at gala days. Not sure why logistics would be much different. Plenty of parking at Macquarie Uni and room for presentations.

southsider

Arch Winning (36)
I've attended two different club presentations this weekend. Presso goes for 30 mins the other 1.5hrs is parents drinking and kids running around. I'm not sure why holding something with multiple clubs is not possible. We have this many kids/parents at gala days. Not sure why logistics would be much different. Plenty of parking at Macquarie Uni and room for presentations.

Cmon a gala day is different, you can walk around, talk etc etc preso you're expected to sit there and be reasonably quiet.

Mate they ran out of parking at mac today....you can go the metered parking on campus if you want and lose an arm and a leg paying for it or you can open up the other footy field for free parking but oh shit there's goes that "plenty of "free space" you had to fit however many different footy clubs on

Trust me I work in university sport, it's a lovely idea but this massive amount of space and free parking you think there is just isn't there

p.Tah

John Thornett (49)
Cmon a gala day is different, you can walk around, talk etc etc preso you're expected to sit there and be reasonably quiet.

Mate they ran out of parking at mac today..you can go the metered parking on campus if you want and lose an arm and a leg paying for it or you can open up the other footy field for free parking but oh shit there's goes that "plenty of "free space" you had to fit however many different footy clubs on

Trust me I work in university sport, it's a lovely idea but this massive amount of space and free parking you think there is just isn't there
Acres of space isn't required and parking can be sorted when working with the Uni. They've hosted music festivals with many more spectators and cars than what we're talking about. Anyway we can agree to disagree regarding space and parking,

In event management nothing is impossible with money and time. This initiative doesn't need money and they're got plenty of time to work with stakeholders if they wanted to do it.

If it's a good idea, just do it. That philosophy has served me well to date. Logistics can be challenging at times but rarely insurmountable.

The only deal breaker is, do the clubs actually want to do it.

Rebel man

Peter Johnson (47)
Are there any apps that let me follow the scores of the NRC live? Why is Aus Rugby so bad when it comes to apps?

Micheal

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
What I want to see at the NRC GF, as pre-game and half-time entertainment is:

+ A 100m sprint race, with each team electing their fastest player to represent them. You could have 1 timer per player on the 40, 60, 80 and 100m lines to see who's the fastest over what intervals; and

+ A strong-man competition. You could easily set this up on the oval with overhead press, chin ups, farmers walks, bench press, vertical leap, dead lifts etc.

I think the fans would genuinely be really interested to know who is the fastest / strongest of all the players, but also, quite oddly, I also think it'd help to serve to further develop our players / increase professionalism.

Why?

If you can reward those who win in a somewhat meaningful way, you're encouraging players to invest in their own S&C.

More importantly, however, if you're a 16-17 year old school boy player who wants to make it as a professional you may see Lopeti Timani benching 5x180kg and reflect on the fact that you're only capable of doing 5x90kg.

The solution? Get in the fucking gym.

Maybe we'd develop some non-powderpuff tight 5 players as a result.

Clarence

Stan Wickham (3)
I would actually flip the above on its head to make it somewhat more marketable.

e.g.
100m sprint race - Props only.
Strong-man relay - Smallest 5 players (by weight). Use obscure methods like single leg squats, muscle ups or even stick in a plank off.
Drop goal horse
Longest line out

It's not hard to think up some new ways to make it interesting.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Some new laws for 2019:

Law: The introduction of an infringement (penalty and free-kick) limit for teams. Once a team has reached the limit, a mandatory yellow card is given to the last offending player as a team sanction
Recommendation: To approve for closed trials at NRC in Australia.

Law: The awarding of a goal line drop-out to the defending team when an attacking player, who brings the ball into in-goal, is held up.
Recommendation: To approve for closed trials at NRC in Australia.

https://www.rugby.com.au/news/2019/06/29/world-rugby-laws-trials
I don't like either of these laws to be honest, for the first law theres going to be some ludicrous situations when players will be yellow carded for minor penalties. I understand the intent, but given the lack of consistency in officiating it brings the offical into the game even more then they already are.
On the second law, again I don't like this one as we're now rewarding defending teams where I think the focus should be on rewards attacking teams.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Adam, do you know what happens in subsequent free kick/penalty situations? Is a player YCed every time a team offends beyond the limit? If so, that would be ludicrous.

I see an argument that says good, strong defense should also be rewarded but maybe the goal line drop out is going a bit too far. Perhaps stick with the 5m scrum but give the feed to the defending side.

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
I like the idea of further codifying "Team Yellows" in general, but because they actually create a numerical advantage themselves rather than multiples leading to numerical advantage (in individual games) or suspensions (across seasons) I can't help but feel it's better to be left to individual discretion.

Goal line drop outs are quite strange, and in a general sense I'm somewhat opposed to them. But if WR (World Rugby) is looking from a perspective of "fewer set pieces", a restart does make sense, since making it a scrum would cause 2 set pieces (Defending Scrum -> Attacking Lineout) in 95% of cases.

Interested to see the specifics around the drop out though? I'd assume it was just a 22 restart at the goal line? Or is it more like the conventional restart? And if so, where does the ball have to travel to and/or where can the "defenders" play without being offside?

Eyes and Ears

Bob Davidson (42)
It will be interesting to see if penalty advantage situations are counted and also what happens if the xth penalty is also a foul play card?

The Honey Badger

Jim Lenehan (48)
I hate anything in the rules that morphs the game towards league.

Goal line drop outs are not Rugby.

WTF was wrong with the 5 meter attacking scrum?

Absolutely beautiful part of the game.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
I like the idea of further codifying "Team Yellows" in general, but because they actually create a numerical advantage themselves rather than multiples leading to numerical advantage (in individual games) or suspensions (across seasons) I can't help but feel it's better to be left to individual discretion.

Goal line drop outs are quite strange, and in a general sense I'm somewhat opposed to them. But if WR (World Rugby) is looking from a perspective of "fewer set pieces", a restart does make sense, since making it a scrum would cause 2 set pieces (Defending Scrum -> Attacking Lineout) in 95% of cases.

Interested to see the specifics around the drop out though? I'd assume it was just a 22 restart at the goal line? Or is it more like the conventional restart? And if so, where does the ball have to travel to and/or where can the "defenders" play without being offside?

I would expect the goal line drop out distance and direction to be entirely at the discretion of the kicker. Players would need to be behind the goal line to be onside at the time of the kick.