• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

If Robbie goes who should replace him as Wallabies coach?

Who should be the Wallabies coach?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ghibli

Ted Thorn (20)
It always amuses me when this old furphy comes up in association with this subject. Jake White's only coaching experience before being successful with the Boks was as the SA Under-21 coach, and as a schoolboy rugby coach, so please, lets not hear any more of how important previous "Test" level experience is. It effectively means that our only candidates are White, Bob Dwyer, Clive Woodward, Rod MacQueen and Graham Henry.

Regardless of how good JW is (and I think he is a very good coach), our national team must never again be coached by a foreigner. It states, as it has done for the last 5 years, that Australia cannot produce a competent Rugby Union coach.

Agree 100%.
Please leave White with the Brumbies.

Ghibli

Ted Thorn (20)
PS: in my opinion, the aversity to having a foreign coach becomes an issue when the team performances are mediocre.
If a foreign coach took the Wobs to win the World Cup, probably it would not really be an issue.

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
I personally have no problem with a foreign coach but I've seen the discontent that it creates in a lot of fans. So I've swapped sides and I now believe we aren't ready for another foreigner and won't be for a long time.

Sent using Tapatalk

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
I have no problem with a foreign coach. I don't think the nationality makes any real difference, if they coach the team right. Choose the best available at the time. If 2 are much of a muchness, choose the Aussie, but if the clearly better candidate is from elsewhere, I have no issue with them.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
We have a Foreign Head of State. We have a female Welshman as PM. What is more she is from SA. The Representative of our Foreign Head of State is a Queensland Foreigner. The Boss of BHP is a Foreigner. Telstra's boss for a while (Ziggy Switalphabet) was a foreigner. QANTAS is run by a foreigner. Socceroos thrive on being run by foreigners.

Shouldn't we be OK with foreigners running things around here.

GaffaCHinO

Peter Sullivan (51)
We have a Foreign Head of State. We have a female Welshman as PM. What is more she is from SA. The Representative of our Foreign Head of State is a Queensland Foreigner. The Boss of BHP is a Foreigner. Telstra's boss for a while (Ziggy Switalphabet) was a foreigner. QANTAS is run by a foreigner. Socceroos thrive on being run by foreigners.

Dont forget the aus cricket team.

Sent from my GT-I9300T using Tapatalk 2

Richo

John Thornett (49)
In principle there's nothing with a foreign coach. Personally, I don't give a toss. But I do sincerely believe that in this particular instance -- post-Robbie -- we have to have an Australian coach. It's not necessarily that Robbie has been bad (although I'm not a fan), but that there is a strong perception that the Wallabies no longer play in the smart, adventurous Australian tradition. From a PR perspective, I think an Australian has to be appointed -- and commit to bringing back smart, innovative, disciplined rugby.

thierry dusautoir

Alan Cameron (40)
Whoever the next guy is will have to be australian just from a PR point of view at least but persoanlly i just want someone who can help us monster the all blacks.

Whether they be Australian, Kiwi or citizen of the Democratic Republic of Congo.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Heaven help us if an Australian is appointed to the position, and they commit to bringing back smart, innovative, disciplined rugby, and this doesn't happen.

We will only be able to blame the residual effect of Dingo for this for a short period after the Messiah is appointed.

MajorlyRagerly

Trevor Allan (34)
Head coach: Jake White. Assistanc coach: Wayne Bennett.

You'd win everything you were capable of & your losses would truly only be teams that are better than you.

I don't think McKenzie is your man at all - not sure why, just a hunch.

D

daz

Funny. Jake White is always at the front of my brain when I think of Deans being replaced. Which means I am thinking of Jake an awful lot, lately.

I have nothing against Link. In fact I would be happy to have him lead our national team. I just have this sneaky suspicion that Jake White is actually a better candidate and what's more, will actually get the job done.

Roundawhile

Billy Sheehan (19)
I just wanted to throw this out there Roundawhile. I wouldn't read a whole lot into the results of the "Should Deans Go" thread. For this simple reason, that I didn't even venture into that thread until this one popped up. I'm not a Deans supporter, but I'm not yet at calling for him to be sacked. It is my opinion that the people that want him sacked, believe so quite passionately and will most definitely go in there and post their view that he should go. Those that don't want him sacked (or like me, don't have an opinion either way) seem to tire very quickly of the "sack Deans now" sentiment and tend not to comment. There are quite a few prominent contributors to this forum that are noticeably absent from that thread.

So whilst the overwhelming view coming out of the "Should Deans Go" thread is that he should, I don't think it is representative of the GaGR community as a whole, but then again you probably are aware of this. It doesn't mean that this topic isn't a worthwhile discussion - it is. More so that people shouldn't hold the view that the support for Deans to be sacked is total and I get the impression that some people do.

Just my 2c. Continue. ;)

I understand your sentiment Scoey, and yes the number of prominent members who abstained from posting was certainly interesting.

My real reason for posting these two threads is to try to keep the discussions in one (two) places.

It seems that a lot of other threads seem to degenerate into 'I hate RD' or 'RD has to go', etc. And that gets very tiring.

By having these threads I hope it will allow other discussions to stay on track.

Wishful thinking, I know, but I am mostly an optimist :)

Brumbieman

Dick Tooth (41)

Well, QANTAS is up the shitter, the Socceroo's are not even on par with a champions league team, Telstra is a bit shit, the government is in a shitstorm, and our cricket team is also a shadow of its former glory.

If foreign leadership is the common factor in all of them, I say we grab out pitchforks and sawn offs and have ourselves a good old fashioned foreigners harvest! Yee haw!

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Head coach: Jake White. Assistanc coach: Wayne Bennett.

You'd win everything you were capable of & your losses would truly only be teams that are better than you.

I don't think McKenzie is your man at all - not sure why, just a hunch.
The half-time sound-bite interviews would never be the same again. Tumbleweeds and rusty signs swingin' in the breeze.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
My Mum. couldn't do worse.

Then again, after looking at:

Maybe we have Deans all wrong. Either way this article by Campese leaves me in the untenable position of supporting a fool.
Don't feel bad Schaden this is what Campo said a few years back
(David Campese wrote:

Campese said the influence of his former Test foe Robbie Deans, and the departure of veterans such as George Gregan, had transformed the Wallabies on and off the field. "You can sense there's a real change in the atmosphere of the Wallabies this year, a more relaxed feeling and you can see that in the way they play," he said.

"The burdens have lifted off the players and they are enjoying their rugby. There's no baggage."

Campese said the Cape Town rejection had not fazed him, nor affected his intention to speak his mind on the Wallabies. "There were some people who didn't like to hear what needed to be said at the time," he said.

"It's been pleasing to see the Wallabies being so successful this year under Robbie Deans and his direction to run the footy and to let guys back themselves. I've always thought these guys were the dark horses for the Tri-Nations and their win at the weekend confirmed that.")
Though to fair to Campo, I know an awful lot of Wallaby supporters thought Deans was 'Bees Knees' in those days, certainly a lot of my mates were rubbishing me when I said I didn't think he was a great coach, or actually what I said and still do is he a poor selector. mind you all those mates now always knew Deans was no good:rolleyes:

REDinCPT

Sydney Middleton (9)
Robbie Deans said:
happy to have [Campese] back, too, by the way...It's great David's passionate about the game still and in particular the Wallabies jersey, but I really don't want to comment any further...People are entitled to their opinion and as I've said many times before it's part of the territory.

piss weak!

can we please get a coach who will tell campo to go and get fucked when he runs off at the mouth?

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
Don't feel bad Schaden this is what Campo said a few years back
(David Campese wrote:

Campese said the influence of his former Test foe Robbie Deans, and the departure of veterans such as George Gregan, had transformed the Wallabies on and off the field. "You can sense there's a real change in the atmosphere of the Wallabies this year, a more relaxed feeling and you can see that in the way they play," he said.

"The burdens have lifted off the players and they are enjoying their rugby. There's no baggage."

Campese said the Cape Town rejection had not fazed him, nor affected his intention to speak his mind on the Wallabies. "There were some people who didn't like to hear what needed to be said at the time," he said.

"It's been pleasing to see the Wallabies being so successful this year under Robbie Deans and his direction to run the footy and to let guys back themselves. I've always thought these guys were the dark horses for the Tri-Nations and their win at the weekend confirmed that.")
Though to fair to Campo, I know an awful lot of Wallaby supporters thought Deans was 'Bees Knees' in those days, certainly a lot of my mates were rubbishing me when I said I didn't think he was a great coach, or actually what I said and still do is he a poor selector. mind you all those mates now always knew Deans was no good:rolleyes:
This type of argument comes up all the time and frankly it's bullshit. Just because someone states something in the past doesn't mean it's true today.

Sent using Tapatalk

D

daz

This type of argument comes up all the time and frankly it's bullshit. Just because someone states something in the past doesn't mean it's true today.

Sent using Tapatalk

Very true. My son used to violently rebel when broccoli was served during dinner time when he was a little kid. Now he is much older he enjoys broccoli.

The broccoli hasn't changed; just his opinion.

;)

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I'd have no problem with a foreign coach if it was someone like Jake White.

In his first year at the Brumbies he introduced regularly successful driving mauls, good aggressive counter rucking, safety under the high ball, and smart kicking.........

Imagine if the Wallabies could do that?

Status
Not open for further replies.