• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

If we had lost to South Africa ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scarfman

Knitter of the Scarf
Look, I don't want to bring the vibe down. I mean, I'm super-pumped for the next two days, Foxtel is running smoothly, the boys are coming around, the beers are sitting there waiting for a trip to the petrol station to buy some ice ... basically, it's on!

But.

I can't help thinking what the last week on the forum might have been like if we hadn't beaten RSA. After all, there were several flukey aspects about it, not least of all, Bryce suffering from parallax error whenever RSA had the ball, and Quade making his one and only tackle to save a try.

If we had lost, we'd be looking at just about our worst RWC ever - losses to Ireland and South Africa. And I think we'd be saying that we didn't even look like winning either game - we just didn't have any kind of game plan that was suitable for the day.

It's not all game plan, though, the execution in both games was staggeringly bad. Not turning up in the forwards for the Ireland game, and the Genia-Cooper halves offering absolutely zero in attack against RSA.

Looking at form in any kind fo rational way, you'd tip the Kiwis to win by a long way. A very long way. But they don't have Carter (that's about 8 points) and McCaw is down to one leg (chuck in another 2). My opinion is that even after getting 10 points back from the rugby gods, we're still going to come up a fair way short.

And yet - it's Australia, We're the new French. On the day, we can beat anybody. We saved Eddie Jones's career once, maybe we can do the same for Robbie.

Cardiffblue

Jim Lenehan (48)
The SA supportes on this site would not still be whingeing but instead gloating (probably would still have occupied 70+ pages)

FANATIC

Fred Wood (13)
Look, I don't want to bring the vibe down. I mean, I'm super-pumped for the next two days, Foxtel is running smoothly, the boys are coming around, the beers are sitting there waiting for a trip to the petrol station to buy some ice ... basically, it's on!

But.

I can't help thinking what the last week on the forum might have been like if we hadn't beaten RSA. After all, there were several flukey aspects about it, not least of all, Bryce suffering from parallax error whenever RSA had the ball, and Quade making his one and only tackle to save a try.

If we had lost, we'd be looking at just about our worst RWC ever - losses to Ireland and South Africa. And I think we'd be saying that we didn't even look like winning either game - we just didn't have any kind of game plan that was suitable for the day.

It's not all game plan, though, the execution in both games was staggeringly bad. Not turning up in the forwards for the Ireland game, and the Genia-Cooper halves offering absolutely zero in attack against RSA.

Looking at form in any kind fo rational way, you'd tip the Kiwis to win by a long way. A very long way. But they don't have Carter (that's about 8 points) and McCaw is down to one leg (chuck in another 2). My opinion is that even after getting 10 points back from the rugby gods, we're still going to come up a fair way short.

And yet - it's Australia, We're the new French. On the day, we can beat anybody. We saved Eddie Jones's career once, maybe we can do the same for Robbie.

The Wallabies won, the stats were not with us, but we won on guts, not glory nor tallent.

Enjoy the weekends rugby.

I know everyone is excited and nervous ...
But please don't ever Say; We're the new French, it is offensive.
;)

Cardiffblue

Jim Lenehan (48)
The Wallabies won, the stats were not with us, but we won on guts, not glory nor tallent.

Enjoy the weekends rugby.

I know everyone is excited and nervous ...
But please don't ever Say; We're the new French, it is offensive.
;)

No we are

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)

But.

There would have been outrage and calls for Robbie's head.

He would probably have delayed his return to Aus.

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
The SA supportes on this site would not still be whingeing but instead gloating (probably would still have occupied 70+ pages)

Like the Welsh moral victory threads at Gwlad?

There have been fuckloads of those over the years, that's for sure.

M

max11247

Losing in the quarter finals under any circumstances would have been devastating on so many levels.

That rare outpouring of emotion that Robbie showed at the end of the match spoke bunches. I am glad that we avoided the scenes of the media calling for Robbie's head. This could have been such an ugly week for aussie rugby - I imagine it would have been very similar to what the English are going through now.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
Just one second scarfy.

Not only do you seem to have a television now but you've also signed up to evil rupert's foxtel?

What is the world coming to!

waratahjesus

Greg Davis (50)
im with you scarfie, i think the victory was fantastic, but the fact of the matter is it probably acomplished more to hide the problems the australian team has than credit them.

we suck as a team, we complain that they get ego and forget to turn up yet we as supporters are happy to forget losses for the wins. The amount of times people have mentioned the victory over the All Blacks this year and in Hong Kong only to forget the three losses last year and the crap performance at Eden park has been astonishing.

im supporting the boys 100%, but ive been offended by the press conferences of robbie this week and the press saying his master plan has come off, his shit has stuck to the wall, hopefully it doesnt fall off.

Scarfman

Knitter of the Scarf
I reckon Robbie got it right this week by saying that when people are patting your back, you're not as good as they're saying, and when they're kicking you up the arse, you're not as bad as they're saying.

I reckon the Wallabies are not in great shape. Not as bad as we would have all thought if they hadn't won, but not nearly as good as the Deans masterplan people are saying.

Anyway, New Zealand are at sixes and sevens as well, so we're in with a shot.

(And if we lose we won't see Groucho around here for a while).

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)

But.

And you know what? Deans would have had a good solid job for another 2 years notwithstanding. Funny game.

Groucho

Greg Davis (50)
(And if we lose we won't see Groucho around here for a while).

:lmao: Mate, I was trying to take a gentle lend of you.

Honestly, like I've said many times on here, I'm actually neutral on Deans. I'd support Link the same way.

Go Wallabies!

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
:lmao: Mate, I was trying to take a gentle lend of you.

Honestly, like I've said many times on here, I'm actually neutral on Deans. I'd support Link the same way.

Go Wallabies!

Will Deans be a genius if he gets this team who been mediocre (at best) for 4 year to the final or he wins it?
My view is no: but I doubt that will be the view of the majority.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
For those that dislike deans they think that everyone else is on the bandwagon, even if we just sit on the fence. If you are not with us you are against us sort of thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.