• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Illawarra Rugby 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bruce Ross

Ken Catchpole (46)
It has taken me a few decades to get over my loathing of the Vikings but I am mellowing with age. Up the Shamrocks!

Thanks for your offer to post updates, WCR.

Bruce Ross

Ken Catchpole (46)
Thanks for the update, WCR. It is illustrative of my mellowing that while I am obviously pleased by the result I am less so by the margin. Illawarra Rugby needs both the Vikings and the Shamrocks to be strong. It is the great traditional rivalry in the Illawarra.

Back when I was President of the Shamrocks I would very often spend Tuesday nights going into Wollongong with one or more of my players who had unfairly been sent off by astigmatic referees to represent them before a judicary basically composed of lawyers from the Vikings.

And in the years when the Shamrocks were sponsored by the Shitcarters Arms, aka the Bulli Workers Club, I would have to go to the Club on Sunday mornings to plead the innocence of those of my members who had been misidentified as the perpetrators of whatever mayhem had occurred the night before. I can remember one occasion where I advanced the argument that if the Club didn't want to have a lettuce fight on the dance floor care should be taken that the kitchen door be kept locked.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
The 1st grade side is currently under strength with no less than 8 first choice player's out due to injury and 4 of last year's premiership team jumping ship to the Avondale Wombats who make no secret that they pay for talent.

wreckless

Bob Loudon (25)
The 1st grade side is currently under strength with no less than 8 first choice player's out due to injury and 4 of last year's premiership team jumping ship to the Avondale Wombats who make no secret that they pay for talent.

WCR - name names! That is - name & shame! :). The " Cheque Book Charlies" need to be outed when you see good teams like Tech-Tahs and Shamrocks going so well without any of this "pay for play" crap! I know that Vikings were also accused of paying players but I also know this to untrue!

What is shining through at Vikings, Tech, Shamrocks, Kiama and the others is the number of juniors coming through to fill the line!

I hear that Avondale are having a few problems in the juniors as far as their parents are concerned - any word on this?

wreckless

Bob Loudon (25)
Thanks for the update, WCR. It is illustrative of my mellowing that while I am obviously pleased by the result I am less so by the margin. Illawarra Rugby needs both the Vikings and the Shamrocks to be strong. It is the great traditional rivalry in the Illawarra.

Back when I was President of the Shamrocks I would very often spend Tuesday nights going into Wollongong with one or more of my players who had unfairly been sent off by astigmatic referees to represent them before a judicary basically composed of lawyers from the Vikings.

And in the years when the Shamrocks were sponsored by the Shitcarters Arms, aka the Bulli Workers Club, I would have to go to the Club on Sunday mornings to plead the innocence of those of my members who had been misidentified as the perpetrators of whatever mayhem had occurred the night before. I can remember one occasion where I advanced the argument that if the Club didn't want to have a lettuce fight on the dance floor care should be taken that the kitchen door be kept locked.

Bruce - I too have mellowed over the years and I love this comment! :).

I miss the games at "Knuckleson Park"! I love the fact that Peter FitzSimons " 50 Reasons Why We Still Love Rugby" included Vikings vs. Shamrocks at about no. 38! I love the fact that during Vikings 50th year celebrations ( when Vikings were struggling ) the commemorative game was between the Rocks and the Blueys!

We still hate Shamrocks - but it is a very different thing to be hated and respected than to be hated and despised! ( Avondale )!. I couldn't believe last years Grand Finals when Shammies were cheering on the Blues and the Vikings crowd were loud in support of Shammies in 2nd Grade - I thought I had entered some kind of parallel Universe!!!!

The Rocks are going well at 5- 0 and I hope that the Bluey's can catch up and continue the battle!

Cheers, Wreckless

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
WCR - name names! That is - name & shame! :). The " Cheque Book Charlies" need to be outed when you see good teams like Tech-Tahs and Shamrocks going so well without any of this "pay for play" crap! I know that Vikings were also accused of paying players but I also know this to untrue!

What is shining through at Vikings, Tech, Shamrocks, Kiama and the others is the number of juniors coming through to fill the line!

I hear that Avondale are having a few problems in the juniors as far as their parents are concerned - any word on this?

I've heard about that, evidently a rather ugly incident occurred between parents of Avondale and Wollongong Uni's U13s teams. An investigation is underway with the possibility of police involvement yet to be determined.

As for the "Cheque book Charlies" , I'm new to the club (I actually was a Campbelltown Harlequins junior before moving clubs to fall under Randwick) but they are none to happy about it.

wreckless

Bob Loudon (25)
Wreckless, who are you affiliated with?

The mighty Blueys! You've picked a good club with a lot of tradition & history WCR! :). Universally hated throughout the IDRU - LOL! Enjoy your season - win against Shoalies should be the start of stringing some good results together.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
This thread reads like a great ad for Illawarra rugby.....I love country rugby when I get to see it

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

wreckless

Bob Loudon (25)
IS - might I suggest Vikings vs. Shamrocks June 16th at Vikings Oval in Wollongong if you can make it! :) Always a great day of local club rivalry and just great spirit right through 3 grades!

Or - if you want to see great rugby played at one of the most spectacular scenic grounds on the coast - Kiama vs. Vikings at Kiama Showground on June 2nd! Kiama are also Vikings "traditional rivals" ( like everyone in Illawarra - LMAO ) dating back to the days of Wallabies Geoff Shaw , Gary Grey and Co playing for Kiama! The clubs play each year for the "Black & Blue Trophy" based not on wins but aggregate score.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
IS - might I suggest Vikings vs. Shamrocks June 16th at Vikings Oval in Wollongong if you can make it! :) Always a great day of local club rivalry and just great spirit right through 3 grades!

Or - if you want to see great rugby played at one of the most spectacular scenic grounds on the coast - Kiama vs. Vikings at Kiama Showground on June 2nd! Kiama are also Vikings "traditional rivals" ( like everyone in Illawarra - LMAO ) dating back to the days of Wallabies Geoff Shaw , Gary Grey and Co playing for Kiama! The clubs play each year for the "Black & Blue Trophy" based not on wins but aggregate score.

Have to say that Kiama Showground ( I'll admit that is was a toss up at one stage whether to play for Vikings or Kiama) is my favourite ground from my junior years. Mainly due to the fact I could finish my game(s) and be on the beach thirty seconds later. Vikings Oval has improved a lot, as has Uni's. Both were good hard surfaces to play on in my recent experience.

It's an interesting mentality the whole 'everyone hates us' thing. Experienced it a lot during my time at Randwick, but of course, it their case, it's actually true.

Wreckless, are you WA now? I ask because I notice your icon for UWA Rugby. I hear Neddies are strong once again, how are Uni going? If not for a dramatic change in circumstance I would likely be studying at and playing for the students over in Wa right now.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
This thread reads like a great ad for Illawarra rugby.....I love country rugby when I get to see it

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

It is. It's very social which is everything Rugby should be. I have to admit that it's foreign concept somewhat from my previous experiences where Rugby was a serious venture with no real post game atmosphere. My only experiences of anything similar to this culture are from my brief stint in the Far North Coast competition where we'd train and then have drinks or play then have drinks and if it were an away game, hit every pub on the way back to Lismore Uni (I played for the Golden Rats) to drink some more.

wreckless

Bob Loudon (25)

Bruce, you would love the state of the IDRU now ( with the above comments in mind )! Current IDRU President - Peter Woods ( Viking, lawyer and referee )! His deputy, current IDRU Vice-President - Bert Roodenrys ( former Shamrock President ). The current judiciary chairman is - you guessed it - a lawyer and a former Viking! Can a lettuce fight at the IDRU meetings be far away???? I live in hope!!! Cheers, Wreckless

wreckless

Bob Loudon (25)
Have to say that Kiama Showground ( I'll admit that is was a toss up at one stage whether to play for Vikings or Kiama) is my favourite ground from my junior years. Mainly due to the fact I could finish my game(s) and be on the beach thirty seconds later. Vikings Oval has improved a lot, as has Uni's. Both were good hard surfaces to play on in my recent experience.

It's an interesting mentality the whole 'everyone hates us' thing. Experienced it a lot during my time at Randwick, but of course, it their case, it's actually true.

Wreckless, are you WA now? I ask because I notice your icon for UWA Rugby. I hear Neddies are strong once again, how are Uni going? If not for a dramatic change in circumstance I would likely be studying at and playing for the students over in Wa right now.

Nah WCR - back in the Gong! There used to be quite a connection between Vikings and UWA - half a dozen of us played in the west at UWA in the '80's at various times. It was a great time in my life and I made lifelong friends at UWA - still catch up at tests over here or when travelling on business over there. Of course - that is one of the best things about our game, the friendships made wherever we "ply our trade"!I hope you find this to be the case at Vikings WCR!

Good luck vs. Camden on the weekend - hope the girls enjoy "Ladies Day"!

Wreckless

Bruce Ross

Ken Catchpole (46)
Bruce, you would love the state of the IDRU now ( with the above comments in mind )! Current IDRU President - Peter Woods ( Viking, lawyer and referee )! His deputy, current IDRU Vice-President - Bert Roodenrys ( former Shamrock President ). The current judiciary chairman is - you guessed it - a lawyer and a former Viking! Can a lettuce fight at the IDRU meetings be far away???? I live in hope!!! Cheers, Wreckless

Wreckless, the IDRU boys certainly hang around. Woodsy I remember quite well while Bert and I go back to the late '60s when I was a student at Wollongong University College and he was in admin there. That was before the Shamrocks started up.

Status
Not open for further replies.