• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

International Team of Round 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

REDinCPT

Sydney Middleton (9)
The Australian sites only seem to do Aussie teams of the week. I'd like to see an international team of the week so i took it upon myself...

15. Kamana
14. Mitchell
13. Horne
12. Coleman
11. Ranger
10. O'Conner
9. Cowin
8. Brown
7. Braid
6. Horwill
5. Franco van der Merwe
4. Bakkeis
3. Jannie du Plessis
2. Mealamu
1. The Beast

Finsbury Girl

Trevor Allan (34)
The Australian sites only seem to do Aussie teams of the week. I'd like to see an international team of the week so i took it upon myself...

15. Kamana
14. Mitchell
13. Horne
12. Coleman
11. Ranger
10. O'Conner
9. Cowin
8. Brown
7. Braid
6. Horwill
5. Franco van der Merwe
4. Bakkeis
3. Jannie du Plessis
2. Mealamu
1. The Beast

I'd have Dagg at fullback, Kaino @ blindside breakaway and Read at number 8.

Reddy!

Bob Davidson (42)
To be honest, I don't think that many people are too bothered to watch inter-conference games from other countries, therefore it makes it hard to comment on a team like this.

REDinCPT

Sydney Middleton (9)
To be honest, I don't think that many people are too bothered to watch inter-conference games from other countries, therefore it makes it hard to comment on a team like this.

fair comment as this is the direction that super rugby is heading. shame, the international competition is what i liked most about super rugby but i guess i am in the minority. personally, i would have liked to have seen less teams playing each other in a full home and away season, although the travel would have been extremely tough on the South African teams.

lincoln

Bob Loudon (25)
For what its worth Pl.n.t R.gby had this team

15 Kurtley Beale (Waratahs): He wasn't happy with just one try against the Rebels, so picked up two.

14 Tim Nanai-Williams (Chiefs): Ok, he may have fluffed a try-scoring opportunity with the line at his mercy but he did everything else right. The way he bounced off random tacklers with ease showed some real game-breaking qualities. Was unlucky not to get that final kick of the match to salvage his side a losing bonus point.

13 Rob Horne (Waratahs): A solid return to the playing field for the Waratahs centre who showed superb vision on attack which played a big part in setting up tries for his team-mates as well as bagging one himself.

12 Robbie Coleman (Brumbies): The Aussie U20 star ensured he will hold the Brumbies number twelve jersey for a long time after a memorable starting debut at Canberra Stadium against the Chiefs, which saw him get the better of legends and veterans in the form of Tana Umaga and Mils Muliaina respectively with a stand-out performance.

11 Drew Mitchell (Waratahs): Every time Mitchell gets the ball, he scores! Crossed over twice against the Rebels and is without a doubt the in-form winger in Australia at the moment.

10 James O'Connor (Force): A brilliant performance from the Wallabies youngster, who scored every point for the Force against the Reds and showed he can add fly-half to inside centre, full-back and wing on his list of skills.

9 Jano Vermaak (Lions): The quick-thinking Lions number nine was a thorn in the Bulls side throughout the match. while his sniping runs had the huge Springbok-laden Bulls pack gasping for air.

8 Kieran Read (Crusaders): His side may have lost, but the Crusaders number eight didn't do his reputation any harm.

7 Phil Waugh (Waratahs): He was everywhere for the Waratahs, added his name to the scoresheet and led from the front with aplomb.

6 Adam Thomson (Highlanders): The discarded All Black really put his hand up against the Hurricanes and was the heartbeat in a resurgent Highlanders side that pulled off the first upset of the round in Wellington.

5 Franco van der Merwe (Lions): Tireless to watch as the new Lions skipper threw his massive frame all over the Johannesburg pitch. Showed brilliant leadership skills in the Lions second-half revival, but couldn't finish off with a win.

4 Bakkies Botha (Bulls): While his opposite number was trying desperately to save his pride from defeat, the Bok lock was causing damage the only way he knows how.

3 Jannie du Plessis (Sharks): Hooker Bismarck du Plessis may have crossed the whitewash, but his older brother did a lot of work getting him there.

2 Keven Mealamu (Blues): The stout Blues skipper showed composure, coolness and some clinical finishing when the game went on the line.

1 Gurthro Steenkamp (Bulls): When he wasn't rumbling his way past Lions' defenders, he was stopping them. The Bok prop put in an unbelievable seventeen tackles for his team!

Cutter

Nicholas Shehadie (39)

I think you'd be surprised. I watched one full game last week and it was the Blues v Crusaders.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
That was a generous selection of Oz players by Planet Rugby as they are usually done by SAffers - and the Tahs got a big representation for how they played against a crap team. You'd think there would be more players from the Blues and Saders.

I thought that FdP had a great comeback game though, and might have got in. Didn't think that Beale would have been rated so high; but that Kamana fellow was great from the bench and nearly won the game. Didn't notice that he went to fullback though. What a good acquisition.

Yeah, yours truly watches them all and has only missed a handful since 1996 when my recording stuffed up a few times and I missed the replay as well.

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
I thought that FdP had a great comeback game though, and might have got in.

According to Fantasy, FdP made four tackles and missed five. Ended with a game score of -7 which ruined my round and caused Moses to miss first place by a whisker. Both raters can't be right, though I hesitate to identify you as the guilty party.

While I often fast forward through some of the drier parts of the SA games, I too try to watch most games. Super rugby turns me into a hermit for about 4 months.

waratahjesus

Greg Davis (50)
i dont get why O'connor is getting so much priase. He scored all his teams points sure, but they were penalty goals and a runaway try after qld f'd up. as a 10 he didnt control his backline at all well. he played like a centre which he is. his distribution saw him hold onto the ball and run into contact more than he actually linked with any player. i just dont get the universal love for him.

im not saying he played badly, just he didnt have a good game playing flyhalf.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
According to Fantasy, FdP made four tackles and missed five. Ended with a game score of -7 which ruined my round and caused Moses to miss first place by a whisker. Both raters can't be right, though I hesitate to identify you as the guilty party.

While I often fast forward through some of the drier parts of the SA games, I too try to watch most games. Super rugby turns me into a hermit for about 4 months.

Fantasy doesn't reward brains only activity.

I doesn't reward FDP for being in the right spot at the right time again and again, and the ability to throw great passes to exactly the right spot and option, again and again.

He is the best 9 in the comp by far, he just reads the game so well, covers so many kicks, and then kicks so well; and his passes to the monster Bulls backrowers (and the right backrower) on the advantage is formidable.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
i dont get why O'connor is getting so much priase. He scored all his teams points sure, but they were penalty goals and a runaway try after qld f'd up. as a 10 he didnt control his backline at all well. he played like a centre which he is. his distribution saw him hold onto the ball and run into contact more than he actually linked with any player. i just dont get the universal love for him.

Yeah JOC (James O'Connor) just did what he could have done from any spot.

Bullrush

John Hipwell (52)
Fantasy Rugby Team of the Week:

Jamie McIntosh
Tony Woodcock
Keven Mealamu
Romana Graham
Mark Reddish
Victor Vito
Adam Thomson
Jerome Kaino
Jimmy Cowan
Kurtley Beale
Robbie Coleman
Waylon Murray
Drew Mitchell
Sean Maitland
Sitiveni Sivivatu

Fantasy doesn't reward brains only activity.

Activity is far more likely to win games than brains are....the two are obviously intrinsically linked but my brains are always telling my body to perform activities on the field that it simply won't do.....like to keep running....lmao.

It's the activity of these players and the level of competence at which they perform those activities, that leads to results.

11 players from NZ, 3 from AUS and 1 from SA

spectator

Bob Davidson (42)

Jamie McIntosh
Tony Woodcock
Keven Mealamu
Romana Graham
Mark Reddish
Victor Vito
Adam Thomson
Jerome Kaino
Jimmy Cowan
Kurtley Beale
Robbie Coleman
Waylon Murray
Drew Mitchell
Sean Maitland
Sitiveni Sivivatu

Activity is far more likely to win games than brains are....the two are obviously intrinsically linked but my brains are always telling my body to perform activities on the field that it simply won't do.....like to keep running....lmao.

Just how many brains do you have Bullrush? :)

REDinCPT

Sydney Middleton (9)

did any no10 play better than him?
barnes had a good game but it is difficult to judge him in such a one sided game.

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)

Jamie McIntosh
Tony Woodcock
Keven Mealamu
Romana Graham
Mark Reddish
Victor Vito
Adam Thomson
Jerome Kaino
Jimmy Cowan
Kurtley Beale
Robbie Coleman
Waylon Murray
Drew Mitchell
Sean Maitland
Sitiveni Sivivatu

11 players from NZ, 3 from AUS and 1 from SA

This doesn't seem to reflect reality. Was the quality of rugby played in NZ streets ahead of anywhere else? And were the Saffers all so bad that only one no-name made the top team? This is not the same Super rugby I was watching. There seems to be a problem of statistical bias somewhere.

Now if those 11 players were all Crusaders and Blues I could understand, that was an absolute ball-tearer of a match and neither side deserved to lose. The quality of play was exceptional. But Graham, Reddish and Vito is stretching credibility a bit. Coleman played well for half an hour. Sivivatu looked like he was carrying a bit of condition like Rupeni Caucau has done in France. Cowan was useful I admit, but you would never mention his name in the same sentence as FdP (I know I just did). However, four playes are from the Hurricanes/Highlanders match, which was dire! This is my first go at fantasy football and I am struggling to get my head around it.

Back to the drawing board for me. By round 4 I have to bench/transfer about 7 players and I have to try and choose players who are crap or average but will score lots of points. Lots of time spent to get a really poor result in week 1, I think Rod McQueen and I have got something in common.

Status
Not open for further replies.