• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Investment in 7s

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
http://www.theaustralian.com.au/new...corporate-circle/story-e6frg7o6-1226023530106

This could, if handled correctly be a very good thing not just for 7s but for rugby in this country in general (although it isn't likely to help improve our forward play).

A GROUP of 15 businessmen headed by former Myer chairman Bill Wavish and television presenter David Koch is negotiating with the Australian Rugby Union to buy into the Australian seven-a-side program in the lead-up to the 2016 Rio de Janeiro Olympics.

Wavish yesterday told The Australian the businessmen, who he described as rugby aficionados and tragics, were not interested in taking over the abridged version of the game, but simply wanted to ensure Australia was well placed to exploit the opportunities opening up following the admission of sevens, both men's and women's, to the Olympic Games program.

Empire

Syd Malcolm (24)
Anything that would increase the ARU 7's contracts up from $15k or so wouldn't hurt....

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
On that subject I read an article in the SMH yesterday about the fact that NSW's bid for the Australian Sevens round was so poorly put together that it was completely dismissed by the Hong Kong Sevens guys who decide the host. Looks to be between QLD, VIC and SA.

If you didn't hate the NSW government before...

Stu Wilsons Gloves

Stan Wickham (3)
I'd prefer it to stay in Adelaide.

I concur with that, but Melbourne and GC would be pretty good as well. I actually think the aussie leg should be played the weekend before or after the NZ leg, you could build a lot of momentum off that.

As for private equity being involved in the Aus 7's programme, it's a good idea. The less those bumblers from the ARU have to do with things the better.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
The ARU express their desire to maintain control but you have to think if enough interest in genrated they may look to cut it loose and leave it to this consortium to run. Sevens is going professional on a international scale and this move could not only improve our copetitiveness but dramatically alter our standings. Interesting that they see growth opportunities in Asia. I bet they'll be looking hard at the Asia Sevens Series that was laucnhed last year.

T

TOCC

From a legal standpoint, the 7's side will have to remain under ARU control as they are the authorised body(by the IRB) to provide representative sides from Australia.
I say let it happen, the ARU in reality doesn't have much to lose, 7's is a emerging market and the ARU isn't in a position financially to invest capital expenditure to develop this market.

Ive said it in the past and il say it again, its only a matter of time before there is a rationalisation of the 7's rugby market within Australia, its quickly developing into a marketable product and there are several smaller unions and organisations out there who have already tapped into investors. What i mean is, that we currently have tournaments like the Gold Coast 7's, Darwins Hottest 7's, Noosa 7's and the Central Coast 7's all operating independantly, with a few more to pop up over the next couple of years. What we need to do, is interlink these into some kind of Australian 7's tournament, ie:

Similar to the IRB 7's it can rotate between hosting cities, potentially New Zealand and/or Singapore might want to get involved. There are already regular 7's sides showing up at the tournament's across Australia so it would just be a matter of building on that. Hopefully in the long term someone like ONE HD jumps on board, but in the short term, we can hope that the investors and sponsorship provides enough prize money which will encourage further investment by the teams participating.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
From a legal standpoint, the 7's side will have to remain under ARU control as they are the authorised body(by the IRB) to provide representative sides from Australia.
I say let it happen, the ARU in reality doesn't have much to lose, 7's is a emerging market and the ARU isn't in a position financially to invest capital expenditure to develop this market.

Ive said it in the past and il say it again, its only a matter of time before there is a rationalisation of the 7's rugby market within Australia, its quickly developing into a marketable product and there are several smaller unions and organisations out there who have already tapped into investors. What i mean is, that we currently have tournaments like the Gold Coast 7's, Darwins Hottest 7's, Noosa 7's and the Central Coast 7's all operating independantly, with a few more to pop up over the next couple of years. What we need to do, is interlink these into some kind of Australian 7's tournament, ie:

Similar to the IRB 7's it can rotate between hosting cities, potentially New Zealand and/or Singapore might want to get involved. There are already regular 7's sides showing up at the tournament's across Australia so it would just be a matter of building on that. Hopefully in the long term someone like ONE HD jumps on board, but in the short term, we can hope that the investors and sponsorship provides enough prize money which will encourage further investment by the teams participating.

I agree there is effectively a National Circuit in waiting evolving but as I mentioned above further in the article they mentioned Asia. The Asian circuit is only new but has growth potential and needs a group as such to take interest. I would not be surprised in the least to see an Australian leg emerge in that circuit and the Aus National team begin to feature heavily. While a National Circuit would be good, they are only really showing interest in the National team which indicates they are thinking that any future competition will be regional.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
Sunnybank are pumping a bit of money into a 7's program at the moment. They run a womens 7's comp at the moment and have sent teams to most of the big 7's tournaments here. Also won the plate at the Singapore 7's last year.

Status
Not open for further replies.