• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

IRB PLAYER OF THE YEAR - 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.

hawktrain

Ted Thorn (20)
The All Blacks win the NZ team of the year award? Bugger, should've put some money on that at $1.01. Well done to Lord McCaw, his 4th NZ Player of the Year award.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
You don't think it should've gone to the Chiefs?

Look at things from a perspective, Chiefs last year were 10th and won the title this year. NZ finished last year as World Champions and continued that... Chiefs achieved more.

Does Player of the Year also not count Super rugby at all? McCaw missed the majority of the season and wasn't anything special in the remaining games. Seems to me he's a token selection as the AB captain.

hawktrain

Ted Thorn (20)
No, I agree that it should've gone to the Chiefs, or even Canterbury (5 NPC Titles in a row is nothing to sneeze at), but I would imagine that the All Blacks win the team of the year award every year. I think the decision to give it to the AB's is fair though, 12 wins and a draw from 14 games is a hell of a year.

Rennie also unlucky to miss the coaching award, and Colin Clarke, Aaron Cruden and Aaron Smith unlucky to miss out on the Super Rugby POTY, although Conrad Smith did have a great year.

I think McCaw is deserving, he was immense in every game for the AB's, and he was his usual self for the Crusaders. I think nowadays we just get used to guys like him and Carter playing so well. Kieran Read must've been a very close second though, he was consistently great all year.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Can't argue with McCaw getting player of year,thought he great all year again, though funnily enough I not that upset at Carter winning international player ahead of him, although I would of picked Sir Richie for both, they are both picked on different criteria I think, certainly by differnet panels, so as these things are all opinion only, no probs with either.Can understand those that think Read was unlucky too. I perhaps would of liked to see Rennie get Coach award, but only an opinion, and not absolutely sure Smith and Conventry are considered a huge part of Chiefs success (though I assume Rennie picked them as assistants). I also pleased to see Conrad begin to get credit he deserves.

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
If you want to dish out credit for coaches who have done great work I wouldn't rule out Mark Hammett.

Status
Not open for further replies.