• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

IRB Rankings post RWC2011

Status
Not open for further replies.

FANATIC

Fred Wood (13)
Just say via Twitts that

Wallabies sitting on 2nd

Wales on 8th

Now even the most one eyed Wallaby supporter has to know that this just don't seem to sit right.

waratahjesus

Greg Davis (50)
is there a link to them somewhere, i gave up trying to understand them a long time ago.

when does the draw for RWC2015 get done, its a few years out isnt it?

FANATIC

Fred Wood (13)
I clearly do not understand the IRB ranking system.

If we beat a team who is ranked higher than us do we go up...ergo...lesser team we go down?

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Just say via Twitts that

Wallabies sitting on 2nd

Wales on 8th

Now even the most one eyed Wallaby supporter has to know that this just don't seem to sit right.

One of the silly nuances of the rating system is that there is no bonus for making the semi finals of the RWC for Wales as the results are based on each individual game.

Whilst Wales won their quarter final, they then lost the semi and the third vs fourth playoff. Effectively, they are no better off than the teams that lost in the quarter final.

FANATIC

Fred Wood (13)
I know I have a soft spot for the Welsh but this just does not seem fair.
but since when have the IRB been fair.... :)angryfire: over french fine)

Crow

Jimmy Flynn (14)
I clearly do not understand the IRB ranking system.
If we beat a team who is ranked higher than us do we go up...ergo...lesser team we go down?
Points are exchanged on the basis of the difference in points. Beat a higher ranked team and get lots of points, a lower ranked team and get a few points, a much lower team (e.g. Aus vs. Scotland, or NZ vs. England) and you don't get any.

Wales dropped because they lost to France, who was ranked below them. Because the teams are so condensed in the 5-8 positions, any change at all will make a major difference to your standing.

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
An alternative system (Roon Ba):
Code:
1 	New Zealand        5236 	
2 	Australia 	   5073 	
3 	South Africa       5028 	
4 	Wales   	   4967 	
5 	France 	           4965 	
6 	England   	   4901 	
7 	Ireland 	   4885 	
8 	Argentina 	   4798