• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

IRB U/20 Tournament and Oz Squad

Status
Not open for further replies.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
England look very impressive. The class between them and us is so evident. The running, passing, kicking, tackling and united attack of the breakdown is so much better. Did we just have a dud year..

England 7-0

Although the winger was clearly in touch. Poor refereeing.

Bruwheresmycar

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
Nice try. After watching NZ's modified haka i almost want England to win. I wonder how much time is left for rugby between choreographing that thing...

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
England's captain, #8 Alex Gray looks about 12 but is one heck of a player.

Poor Kiwis, try disallowed by the TMO for a foot in touch...

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Well done Kiwis. Too good.

I was very impressed by England's 8, 2, 7, 10 and back 3. Ford is one for the future.

I still can't get over the skills these two sides showed compared to Aus. Made 10% of the handling errors Aus did with smooth passes that went to the man.

Riptide

Dave Cowper (27)
That was a very high quality game. England's lack of killer instinct let them down at the death when all the momentum was on their side. Thought the English tight-head, loosehead 7, 8, 9, 10 and 15 were very good. Kiwis didnt look as effective with Sailli moving in from wing to 13 instead of Robertson.

brumsfan

Sydney Middleton (9)
Nice reward for Hooper getting singled out by Nucifora as one of the players of the under 20's tournament, I thought his TV games were outstanding and hear that he was just as good when captain against Fiji. Apart from his running game and general play, his hits on the Kiwi prop and the cover tackle were highlights.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
He is a wonderful player. Oz Rugby is blessed to have such quality young 7s like Gill and Hooper coming through - also Colby F, who is a different kind of player but very bloody good at it.

No chest beating who is better thank you - this was an Aussie post.

T

tranquility

Lee, in regards to one of your other posts about the Siliva and the backup spot at the Ponies.

I think Siliva deserves to play super footy next year and I think he will, he could be a safer version of TPN and Moore is the perfect bloke to learn from.

I think if they need another hard head (and they will) just sign a bloke from the Shute (as they have done this year) as the third rake and use as required.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
I have just written on the subject in the Brumbies thread. When I saw Siliva in both of his years in the Oz U/20s and for the Force As, when they were back east before the Super season, he struck me as a skills type of hooker that needed to add some hard-nosed play to his game. Nothing untoward in that: the same applied to Fitzpatrick at the same age and applies to a lot of young players and especially tight five forwards.

I'm sure it will come. It is better that a player is born with it like a Pocock, TPN or even the other U/20 hooker, the younger Roach, or Quirk, but many, many players acquire the attribute. He will have to.

Not to the point but this was one priceless benefit of the ARC: seeing which players were developing as hard-nosed players and comparing them to others of the same age. But it is an old song I sing.

Status
Not open for further replies.