• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Ireland NZ Tour 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dismal Pillock

Simon Poidevin (60)
2nd Test Expert Match Analysis:

jpoliticiansdogs(1).jpg

1 G Bower. plopped around a bit but LOL he aint no Porter or Furlong hahahaha ffs
2 Codie Taylor. LOLLL his attacking taps on the 5-metre line where he tapped to himself and just curled up into his shell like a snail and went to ground couldve been the most pathetic self-defeating acts of the entire rugby football match
3 Ofa. just so unenthused. It's a rugby test not a chess test FFS could you please possibly just once possibly get fucking angry at someone?
4 B Retallick. hanging on by a thread. Not just yesterdays man, or last years man, literally last decades man
5 Scrote Barrett. All Blacks tuff guy. LOL. Meanwhile the other team have actual tuff fucker munters like Doris and O'Mahony and Furlong and Porter and....
6 Papalii. didnt do a goddamn thing. I blame Ardie.
7 Cane. LOL Mahony called him a "failed Mccaw" right to his face and he just took it. LIGHTWEIGHT, BUDDY.
8 Ardie. Cool swan dive bro! Smile at camera 4!
9 A.Smith. Stuck behind the wussy pack from 2019 RWC debacle. In 2022.
10 Beaudy. I blame him for NZ playing entire match in their own half
11 Les. Lost. Lost In Space. 2-test AB.
12 Tupeaua. Decided to drop everything
13 Rieko. Made zero inroads.
14 Reece. I think he was playing.
15 Jordie. Also decided to shit the bed all over the park.

Dismal Pillock

Simon Poidevin (60)
Can I just say how fucking relieved I am that after this Ireland series Australia doesn't have to contest the Bledisloe Cup immediately?
Not sure about that.

NZ look utterly ripe for the picking right goddamn now. Still trotting out the exact same 2019 RWC pack failures cos Fozzie's too proud to admit they got it wrong..... 3 years ago. "Give them a second chance, they'll get it right". LOLL.

By the time the Bled rolls around Joe Schmidt will have stepped in as shadow coach and FFSFozzie will be reduced to pointing at training cones when the media cameras are around

KiwiM

Nev Cottrell (35)
Congrats to Ireland. Way too good.

Where do you start with the ABs problems? Tight 5 other than Bower and Barrett sucked. Playing 3 x 7s failed miserably. The ABs have a 10 who can't punt properly, a 12 and a winger who dropped every second ball.

The defence coach who has been there 6 years is a joke and the attacking shape looks to be as predictable and one dimensional as ever.

Not to worry though....they'll just hide behind the cards.......

The fact that this coaching staff (and captain) aren't up to it is staring everyone in the face so now it's just how long does the pain last until they get shit-canned or even worse limp out at the World Cup.

2 Codie Taylor. LOLLL his attacking taps on the 5-metre line where he tapped to himself and just curled up into his shell like a snail and went to ground couldve been the most pathetic self-defeating acts of the entire rugby football match

This made me chuckle. A lot.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
7 Cane. LOL Mahony called him a "failed Mccaw" right to his face and he just took it. LIGHTWEIGHT, BUDDY.
I thought you made that up!

But it's what was picked up on referee Jaco Peyper's microphone that caught the attention.
"Who do you think you are? You're a sh*t Richie McCaw pal," O'Mahony is reported to have told the New Zealand skipper during the altercation.

Dismal Pillock

Simon Poidevin (60)
The fact that this coaching staff (and captain) aren't up to it is staring everyone in the face
Have you had a look at Stuff's rugby comments sections this weekend?

It is an utter, utter bloodbath.

Fozzie and the only no-hopers he could find to be his assistants are getting savaged. JJoseph, T Brown, Razor, Schmidt, Gatland, Rennie and all the rest who said yeah nah not getting that useless loser's cootees all over my CV made the right call
Love the guy. What an absolute old school hard bastard. He's not on his playstation or instagram or doing elaborately-rehearsed wanker handshakes.

Last edited:

Kevin77

Fred Wood (13)
Have you had a look at Stuff's rugby comments sections this weekend?

It is an utter, utter bloodbath.

Fozzie and the only no-hopers he could find to be his assistants are getting savaged. JJoseph, T Brown, Razor, Schmidt, Gatland, Rennie and all the rest who said yeah nah not getting that useless loser's cootees all over my CV made the right call

Love the guy. What an absolute old school hard bastard. He's not on his playstation or instagram or doing elaborately-rehearsed wanker handshakes.
His Instagram is brilliant.
him mowing his lawn and giving gardening tips

Jeffrey

Chris McKivat (8)
2nd Test Expert Match Analysis:

jpoliticiansdogs(1).jpg

1 G Bower. plopped around a bit but LOL he aint no Porter or Furlong hahahaha ffs
3 Ofa. just so unenthused. It's a rugby test not a chess test FFS could you please possibly just once possibly get fucking angry at someone?
4 B Retallick. hanging on by a thread. Not just yesterdays man, or last years man, literally last decades man
5 Scrote Barrett. All Blacks tuff guy. LOL. Meanwhile the other team have actual tuff fucker munters like Doris and O'Mahony and Furlong and Porter and....
6 Papalii. didnt do a goddamn thing. I blame Ardie.
8 Ardie. Cool swan dive bro! Smile at camera 4!
9 A.Smith. Stuck behind the wussy pack from 2019 RWC debacle. In 2022.
10 Beaudy. I blame him for NZ playing entire match in their own half
11 Les. Lost. Lost In Space. 2-test AB.
12 Tupeaua. Decided to drop everything
13 Rieko. Made zero inroads.
14 Reece. I think he was playing.
15 Jordie. Also decided to shit the bed all over the park.
I agree that some of the players weren't great. But

1) the players play within a system and strategy. If we look at the AB attack, there is no strategy. Players generally figure shit out themselves. It's always one-out runners off 10, though this year there is a slight variation of going wider past the first receiver. There is no deception or variety. We just want to go wide ASAP. And yet, our players don't have the physical power to constantly cross the adv line to get quick ball to go wide. Look at the Irish with their 4 forward pod in a diamond formation. You have no idea what is going to happen next. Is it an inside or outside pass? Are they all dummy runners? or will one of them start looping or switching?

2) the replacements are not that inspiring either. Would we want Aidan Ross, Nepo Laulala, Tupou Vai'i, Josh Lord, Akira Ioane, Pita Gus, Folau Fakatava, Caleb Clarke, Jack Goodhue, Stephen Perofeta playing instead?

We're not in a good place. We still lose in the same way as we do in 2019. Teams come to NZ now thinking, yea we can beat them. No one really thought so previously. Ireland. Argentina. If France came over with their A team, they definitely beat us.

Jeffrey

Chris McKivat (8)
Ian Foster has now coached the ABs for 23 games. Out of these 23, 5 are walkovers - USA, Tonga, Italy, and Fiji x 2.
Taking those away, Foster has coached 18 first-class games for the ABs. Out of those 18, he has won 11 (8 of which come against Australia and Argentina).

Foster was coach of the Chiefs from 2004 - 2011. The Chiefs finished mid-table in most years, except 2004 (when they finished 4th) and 2009, when they reached the final. Throughout this time, Foster averaged a 50% winning record.

Immediately after Foster left, the Chiefs won back-to-back titles in 2012 and 2013 under Dave Rennie.

So we lost Rennie to the Wallabies, who have looked the best in quite a while.
We didn't pick Robertson, Gatland, Schmidt, Joseph, who actually win at club level or coach at the highest level of rugby.

But we picked Foster, who had never coached another international team, for the sake of "continuity".

Not does Foster now boast the poorest record of an AB coach since rugby went professional, he hasn't convinced in any way that he actually has a plan of how the ABs are to play. He still talks about the disrupted years of 2020 and 2021, when every other country was affected by Covid. There is still no attacking pattern except a duo forward pod. There is minor change to the defensive line with slightly more line speed. And our first XV, if fully fit and still playing, is remarkably similar to the first XV of 2019.
Does Foster not have something to answer for?
Or hopefully we win test 3, and "we won a tough series at home against a great Irish side", we're looking good, let's get behind the team, and we will build to 2023?

KevinO

Geoff Shaw (53)
It's alright All Black fans,

Wayne Barnes is the ref this week, you will get every 50/50 and we all know he does not like to show the darkness cards.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Ian Foster has now coached the ABs for 23 games. Out of these 23, 5 are walkovers - USA, Tonga, Italy, and Fiji x 2.
Taking those away, Foster has coached 18 first-class games for the ABs. Out of those 18, he has won 11 (8 of which come against Australia and Argentina).

Foster was coach of the Chiefs from 2004 - 2011. The Chiefs finished mid-table in most years, except 2004 (when they finished 4th) and 2009, when they reached the final. Throughout this time, Foster averaged a 50% winning record.

Immediately after Foster left, the Chiefs won back-to-back titles in 2012 and 2013 under Dave Rennie.

So we lost Rennie to the Wallabies, who have looked the best in quite a while.
We didn't pick Robertson, Gatland, Schmidt, Joseph, who actually win at club level or coach at the highest level of rugby.

But we picked Foster, who had never coached another international team, for the sake of "continuity".
We never 'lost' Rennie to Wallabies, he went there before ABs job was open. And while I really like Rennie as a coach, quoting titles won isn't good for arguments, head to head Rennie and Foster have come up against each other in 2 competitions, and Foster's team have won both comps.
I like Rennie from talking to players who have been coached by him, and just think using title results is not the way to decide who should get job.

And would add Foster wasn't picked for continuity, seems Razor stuffed up interview, I recall him saying he stuffed up answers under pressure.

Last edited:

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
It's funny but it's hardly the most creative effort, which is pretty par for rugby, unfortunately. It's certainly not in the same level as "how about I bowl you a piano and see if you can play that". Speaking of, someone should hire Merv Hughes as their sledging mental disintegration coach.

Hehe, yes. It's not Keats or Hemmingway, but one of those hilarious moments that I hope never goes out of the game.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
It's funny but it's hardly the most creative effort, which is pretty par for rugby, unfortunately. It's certainly not in the same level as "how about I bowl you a piano and see if you can play that". Speaking of, someone should hire Merv Hughes as their sledging mental disintegration coach.

Hadn't head that one.

Kevin77

Fred Wood (13)
Plenty of Kiwi analysis on here already so not much to add on them.

It basically feels like;

1st test - Ireland lost their composure in the 15-20 mins before half time and lost the game
2nd test - NZ lost their composure in the 15-20 mins before half time and lost the game

The details obviously break down the why but that's essentially it.

Ireland rattled NZ and they lost their discipline and made errors.
Ireland failed to adapt to the referee in the first test and paid. NZ did the same in the second.

I'm delighted ireland were able to make up for that first test as it really felt they let themselves down in 10-15 minutes which ultimately made for a nasty scoreboard.

The tight five went up a level and played like we know they can. Porter has taken time to settle in on the loosehead side but was immense on Saturday. Sheehan has all the makings of a top class hooker and Furlong showed why he is one of the very best tight head props.
Tadgh Beirne was immense.

I reckon the HIA for Retallick was a big moment too as once he went off the NZ tight five went to pieces. Much the same as the Chicago match once NZ don't have Retallick and Whitelock they become an easier proposition up front.

You'd think with Retallick fully fit, Whitelock back in harness and Savea hopefully available for the full game that All Black pack will be hungry this Saturday.

My hope is Ireland can back it up but if I'm honest I think NZ just won't want to lose a second test at home and that might just be enough.

Status
Not open for further replies.