• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Is it time to change the name of the Waratahs?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stands

Jimmy Flynn (14)
With the dismal crowd performances of the last few years and the below expectations performance of the team over a longer period, it is time to re brand the team?

If it is time to re-brand, what possible names could be used for the NSW team?

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
No. It isn't.

No it isn't. The intrusion of marketing flakes into every form of commercial life and their demand for constant change, even of the good things, is a curse on our society. The Tahs are not a brand that needs to be refreshed. They are a team with a long and proud tradition that just needs to put a good couple of years together to get the crowds back. Good play matters. Good players matter. Good coaching matters. Those things will bring the supporters back, re-branding never will.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
No it isn't. The intrusion of marketing flakes into every form of commercial life and their demand for constant change, even of the good things, is a curse on our society. The Tahs are not a brand that needs to be refreshed. They are a team with a long and proud tradition that just needs to put a good couple of years together to get the crowds back. Good play matters. Good players matter. Good coaching matters. Those things will bring the supporters back, re-branding never will.
You expanded beautifully on my somewhat glib answer. Spot on. Although the crowd was only 15,000 on Friday, the noise and atmosphere was streets ahead of last year. Positive steps on the points above are getting interest back.

Groucho

Greg Davis (50)
With the dismal crowd performances of the last few years and the below expectations performance of the team over a longer period, it is time to re brand the team?

If it is time to re-brand, what possible names could be used for the NSW team?

NSW

Athilnaur

Arch Winning (36)
Talking about marketing concepts in the boardroom when discussing the management of the club is fine, indeed desirable, but taking it outside that realm is missing the fundamental USP of any club in elite sport - an immediate and personal connection. You do not have a personal connection with your fans when you describe yourself as a product or a brand.

So no.

BDA

Peter Johnson (47)
I agree win the comments above. One only has to look at the QLD Reds, a team that was in dire financial straits in 2009, to know what it takes to turn a club around. An entertaining and above all successful team will bring in the crowds.

The Waratahs brand use to be a powerhouse of provincial rugby. They were always finals contenders. The tahs can re-establish their brand with better performances.

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
Fans need to harden up and go watch them. It is more a reflection of the fans than the franchise.

Tahs have increased memberships which suggests the marketing is fine and working. What are they meant to do next? Abduct fans at gun point and force them to attend the games. I'm sorry in advance for stereotyping all Tah fans but eat a bag of cement and harden up.

The only other hinderence I can see that cops flack from time to time is the venue. The location and the facilities. Maybe a trip to the SFS is not worth the entry cost. In this situation the fan has also got to be respected as a consumer also.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
The venue itself is not so bad. But when you have 2 stadia within a stone's throw of each other, and both can hold 40,000 plus playing at the same time, on a Friday night, in an area that gets congested easily, it gets problematic.
We get a lot of Friday night games. Might not be the best option.
Anyway, the crowds are getting more involved. If the team keeps getting better, they'll build. And the pubs available after are pretty good...

p.Tah

John Thornett (49)
You do not have a personal connection with your fans when you describe yourself as a product or a brand.
Not having a go at your post Ath. I have a real bug bear when people refer to rugby as a product. JON did this a lot. There is nothing tangible about a rugby experience. Therefore from a marketing perspective a night out at the rugby is not a product, the teams are offering us a service. For the last few years the Tahs have forgotten that this is what they are offering, a service.
It seems they have twigged. This year the offering is entertaining. I'm enjoying it.

No need to rebrand.

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
Over two years ago I posted the Tragedy of the Modern Waratahs. There is nothing wrong with the "brand". As others have posted I hate that terminology. The Tahs are a club, a Province, a following, a tribe even.

I honestly believe what I wrote back was true to a large degree, and we are seeing many of the changes now, but nowhere, not ever was a re-badging an option. The Tribe would be dead, scattered and only chance would see them attach to a new "brand".

The problems of the last decade with the politics, the mismanagement and finally the percentage Rugby of Hickey and Foley which all the statistics said was great and they were winning plenty (except when it mattered) is still causing Chieka nightmares even though the only thing he had to do with it was to not be selected for NSW as a player and go overseas to coach after guiding Randwick to a couple of Premierships. Chieka didn't have the luxury of inheriting a beautiful backline that was already cutting teams to pieces even as their pack imploded and they didn't defend worth talking about. And he didn't have the luxury of being able to pick a great number of his team for his first year in the job. Who did Chieka get to sign apart from Folau and Betham that weren't already in the wider squad?

The fact is Chieka inherited 99% of a side that has underperformed for the better part of 5 years or more. With all that comes a steady drain on the membership and casual following of the Tahs to the point the most populous and biggest Rugby state regularly struggles to match crowds with the least populous Super Rugby states. It will take the rest of this year with some scintillating performances, win or lose, to start getting those heads to turn back. Have we seen that, yet? We have seen 40 minutes on Friday night of perhaps the best Rugby the Tahs have played in nearly a decade in IMO. Others will argue that they have played better, but for mine that was their best because of the structures and for the intent that they were playing. Now if they can play like that for 60 to 70 minutes of each game, then win or lose they will start getting fans back.

Richo

John Thornett (49)
Fans need to harden up and go watch them. It is more a reflection of the fans than the franchise.

Tahs have increased memberships which suggests the marketing is fine and working. What are they meant to do next? Abduct fans at gun point and force them to attend the games. I'm sorry in advance for stereotyping all Tah fans but eat a bag of cement and harden up.

The only other hinderence I can see that cops flack from time to time is the venue. The location and the facilities. Maybe a trip to the SFS is not worth the entry cost. In this situation the fan has also got to be respected as a consumer also.

I agree to an extent. My group is there every week, unless something personal forces us out. But there are plenty of "members" who supposedly sit around us and are never, ever seen.

On the other hand, Sydney is a phenomenally competitive sports market. Two AFL teams, A-League, nine NRL teams... That is just a tough, tough market -- and that's only the sport. Sydney is supporting 13 professional teams across four sports. "Harden up" is true of the members and so on, but for a lot of fans there are just plenty of other options.

Exciting play and winning games. That's all that matters.

Athilnaur

Arch Winning (36)
Not having a go at your post Ath. I have a real bug bear when people refer to rugby as a product. JON did this a lot. There is nothing tangible about a rugby experience. Therefore from a marketing perspective a night out at the rugby is not a product, the teams are offering us a service. For the last few years the Tahs have forgotten that this is what they are offering, a service.
It seems they have twigged. This year the offering is entertaining. I'm enjoying it.

No need to rebrand.

No offence taken, though I would differ on the definition, almost all tangible products have at their core intangibles that define the brand, and good services marketers strive to tangibilise their service.

Irrelevant as I think we all agree marketing speak takes away the specialness of being a fan of our club or team. And I suspect many that talk in those terms in the sports entertainment area don't actually have a good grip on what a product or brand is!

But back to rugby.

Badger

Bill McLean (32)
If you want another brand from NSW in Super Rugby, then have another franchise.

Otherwise, hands off the Waratahs! IIRR, it is one of two teams which existed before Super Rugby and has been around longer than most, if not all, of us and will be around for many more years. A few bad seasons doesn't mean you just throw out over 100 years of traditional and history.

I have a real bug bear when people refer to rugby as a product. JON did this a lot.

It also irks me when the CEO refers to people who go to games as customers.

http://www.couriermail.com.au/sport...uburbs-of-sydney/story-fn8t7efs-1226602786298

I'm a Waratahs fan or supporter, if you prefer. But don't call me a Waratahs customer! Seriously? :mad:

Status
Not open for further replies.