• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

ISA 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wood Rat

Alfred Walker (16)
Ignore it and it will go away
This association deserves continued attention as it is not a closed shop. As well as serving some committed schools with well developed rugby union programs it also caters to schools with smaller rugby programs in three divisions across New South Wales.

I am sure trials are starting at the schools and being late March thoughts will be cast to preparation for June long weekend tournaments

the bulldog

Stan Wickham (3)
Having just spent the best part of three years with my son at kinross in orange i have to agree with the op that the isa is a brilliant rugby tournament and definitely lacks recognition against the powerhouses of gps and cas, its a shame to say though that i too will know have to post in the cas thread with my son having started boarding at knox this year.

i'll pop my head in every now again and will even try and post up some match updates with next weeks trial vs stannies

Wrecka

Bob McCowan (2)
Having just spent the best part of three years with my son at kinross in orange i have to agree with the op that the isa is a brilliant rugby tournament and definitely lacks recognition against the powerhouses of gps and cas, its a shame to say though that i too will know have to post in the cas thread with my son having started boarding at knox this year.

i'll pop my head in every now again and will even try and post up some match updates with next weeks trial vs stannies
I cannot agree more. The kudos affordedthis competition is farcical compared to CAS. Having watched the more established schools compete against both GPS and CAS schools over the past decade there is greater depth in USA especially at open levels. Whilst there may not be the history involved in the comp it may well be the future especially if the game is grow.

sarcophilus

Charlie Fox (21)
with Sydney's projected population growth there will be a new school built every week. This code will wither on the vine if it remains caught up by two associations that insist that only 12 schools are fit for rugby.
If we are lucky we will have caught the botrytis early enough for a sweet desert wine, leave it much longer and it will only be good for vinegar.

there are great opportunities for expansion out there they just need cultivating. The ISA has the right philosophy to facilitate this.

CatchnPass

Vay Wilson (31)
Gents, the 2017 CAS and GPS threads are each 40 pages long and this one has 4 entries having been started only last Friday. This suggests that even ISA supporters, or those that ought to be, are largely disinterested. If the ISA comp is to flourish, it will require at a minimum greater support and promotion from its core constituency.

The Honey Badger

Jim Lenehan (48)
Woodrat, well done for staring the thread.

HJ you are slipping.

Think Green and Gold need to buy a small ad in the ISA schools match day programs. As I don't think too many of those school communities know anything about this place.

Maybe a few from St Augs, Shane Smelts where are you?

S

sweetchilli philli

Does anyone have any BOLD predictions for the upcoming ISA season?
I personally think it will be Oakhill's year (yet again) but wish the boys from Bathurst would finally bring home some silverware to show for the hard work they and the coaching staff have been putting in.
I also think the table will finish up
1. Oakhill
2. Stannies
3. Augies
4. Kinross
5. Pats
6. Pius/Gregs
Also does anyone know about any preseason fixtures?

Rugbybloke123

Herbert Moran (7)
I think that it is Augustines to lose with such a number of U16 representatives last year moving onto opens they will almost be unstoppable against any team (CAS,GPS) included.
Oakhill will struggle having lost so many Opens players from last year and their U16s not having a great season.
St Pats will have potential as always but its whether they can pull it together, yet with a few returning players and the number of yr11s in 2nds last year they could have few surprises in store.
Kinross i don't know much about but the boys from orange always seem to play smart, tough, fair rugby so they are always a threat. The fact that they beat Auggies both times last year proves this.
Stannies again i don't know much but losing some key players of their 2016 1st team will hurt however I know they have players returning which will be handy.
Pius i hate to say but i think they really will struggle this year as they are struggling to field 2 teams an age group (but hopefully I'm wrong)
Greg are always a major surprise and can do anything as seen with their victories over St Pats and Auggies in the final rounds of last year.

L.D

Stan Wickham (3)
Thank god someone has finally created a 2017 page, I agree with the general consensus of the comments on this thread, ISA needs more support as it has great potential to be a flourishing rugby competition (reminder that ISA def. CAS 39-38 last year) but is seemingly being neglected by CAS and GPS. Personally, I'd like to see a total revamp of the whole schoolboy rugby system but I don't think it will be happening anytime soon as many are so preoccupied with "tradition." Back to the point, as an old boy of Pats I'm always interested to see how they are faring and was a bit worried that there wouldn't be a page. Big ups to Wood Rat for picking up the reigns from Hugh Jarse. While I'm not new to reading up on the various forums of G&GR I am new to posting, it would be very good to see a supporter from each of the schools to keep this forum updated so others able to keep up with the competition, there is still a strong contingency of support for rugby in this association, but it needs a helping hand starting with us, the supporters.

It will be very interesting to see how Pats go this year, they could be an interesting surprise packet I believe if coaches can get it right with a few returning players and a year 12 cohort that went well throughout the younger age groups. I think Oakhill may have the biggest shoes to fill with an array of opens players leaving at the end of last year. Augustines are still the team to beat I believe, strong as always. Stannies will also be strong this year, with a good bunch of returning players and a good age group. My views about Kinross, Pius and Greg's are all pretty similar to rugbybloke.

Does anybody know if Pius are playing Div. 1 this year? How is the competition format going to look?

Shane Smeltz

Fred Wood (13)
Woodrat, well done for staring the thread.

Maybe a few from St Augs, Shane Smelts where are you?

The HB I've been a bit distracted with all the difficulty getting in and out of the Beaches lately - the new hospital is going up fast and the surrounding roadworks are driving everyone nuts 24hrs a day....Not to mention the Wakehurst Parkway keeps getting closed lately with the rain making it hard to travel back and forth from Rat Park at Narrabeen and the ground closures are making regular training a challenge.

However I can report that the St Augs teams are looking strong, apart from the 2016 NSW 1 and 2 cohort Yr 12 school finishers the (6 I think it was?) U16 NSW players have all returned and are stronger and fitter than ever. Most are in the 1sts.

Despite the lack of interest in the ISA comp I will boldly predict some boys to make NSW 1 and 2, and probably some of them will be last year's U16 (same as last year's NSW 1 had one previous year's U16 in the team). Some boys are in Yr 11 so have even one more year to make Aus Schoolboys next year.

The Honey Badger

Jim Lenehan (48)
The HB I've been a bit distracted with all the difficulty getting in and out of the Beaches lately - the new hospital is going up fast and the surrounding roadworks are driving everyone nuts 24hrs a day..Not to mention the Wakehurst Parkway keeps getting closed lately with the rain making it hard to travel back and forth from Rat Park at Narrabeen and the ground closures are making regular training a challenge.

However I can report that the St Augs teams are looking strong, apart from the 2016 NSW 1 and 2 cohort Yr 12 school finishers the (6 I think it was?) U16 NSW players have all returned and are stronger and fitter than ever. Most are in the 1sts.

Despite the lack of interest in the ISA comp I will boldly predict some boys to make NSW 1 and 2, and probably some of them will be last year's U16 (same as last year's NSW 1 had one previous U16 in the team). Some boys are in Yr 11 so have even one more year to make Aus Schoolboys next year.
Shane, what names should we be looking out for as red hot prospects for making high rep honours?

I

insideball23

Pius trial games: 25th march Sydney Boys High, (All Pius Opens teams won comprehensively)
April 1 : Aloys
April 29 : Pius v Gregs playoff for div 1 spot

Status
Not open for further replies.