• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

ISA 2019

Central Best

Chris McKivat (8)
Cheers Oak Wood thanks for getting things started.
Boys in Bathurst have been training hard but a little early to suggest who might be getting a Guernsey. Auggies, Oaks and Stannies all had very competitive under 15s last year so might see a sprinkling of those players in the 1st XV outfits for 2019.
The sooner the schoolboy rugby begins the better, it might take our mind off the national side. Stannies have trials against Barker, Trinity, Shore, Kings and Riverview before the start of the ISA on June 1st.

O

Oak_Wood

A big 10-4 CB! Oakhill have Knox, Barker, Joeys, Riverview, Scots, Trinity & Shore, then we play Pius in week 2 of the ISA! Concur with your sentiments, the sooner the schoolboy rugby begins the better....

AllCatsandNoPussy

Bob McCowan (2)
Personally, I'll be quite interested in the performance of Pat's at Strathfield in the upcoming ISA season.

After a very disappointing, though not surprising, season last year I can only hope that the boys from Breen return to this season well drilled, disciplined and optimistic. Using past performance as an indicator, I'll be honest in saying I'm not expecting too much from the 1's this year. Despite this, I'm very happy for them to prove me wrong; in fact, I'm sure they might be able to.

With the combined experience of the 2018 year 11 students who played 1's last year (expecting these same students will play 1's in what is now their final year at the college) and the much needed injection of players from the 2018 16 A's squad (arguably one of the strongest teams in the ISA last year) hopefully St Pat's can field some quality players capable of some quality rugby in 2019.

I can testify to the fact that the boys from Breen have been working hard in the gym to build their strength, and on the field to nail the fundamental skills that underpin rugby that they were missing last year. Despite this, I have no real point of reference to their progression as compared to the likes of other schools who have strong and thriving rugby programs and so these marked improvements to the boys from Pats might be nothing compared the likes of players from other ISA schools. However, I'm optimistic that their pre-season training has helped them refine and strengthen their skills.

Pats should start the season strong with a trial against Sydney Grammar at home on April 6. An almost guaranteed win in the first round should give the boys a much needed boost in their confidence, however they must be wary of any complacency or hubris that seeps through the cracks of their humility. This is because in the ensuing weeks the boys will face tough competition from the likes of Knox (Away April 27), Trinity (Away May 4), SHORE (Away May 11), Aloys (Home May 18), Riverview (Venue TBE May 25).

The ISA season will kick off for Pats against Auggies (Away June 1).

The ISA season for the Pat's boys will continue into round 2, for whom their competition and venue is TBC. Round 3 will see Pats playing Oakhill (Home June 22).

The Pat's 1's and 2's as well as the 16 A's will also have a trial against Barker in the school hols (Away July 20), and then face off against Kinross for Round 4 (Home July 27), Gregs (Away August 3), Pius (Home August 10) and finally Stannies (Away August 17).

I'm also quite excited to see how Pius 1's perform this year after a pleasantly surprising performance in the 16 A's competition last year. Will be great to see the lads from Pius and the lads from Pats face-off on Breen. It should be a great game to remember as traditional rivals go head to head in tough contest.

Looking forward to the season ahead, should be a lot of fun for everyone.

O

Oak_Wood

Personally, I'll be quite interested in the performance of Pat's at Strathfield in the upcoming ISA season.

After a very disappointing, though not surprising, season last year I can only hope that the boys from Breen return to this season well drilled, disciplined and optimistic. Using past performance as an indicator, I'll be honest in saying I'm not expecting too much from the 1's this year. Despite this, I'm very happy for them to prove me wrong; in fact, I'm sure they might be able to.

With the combined experience of the 2018 year 11 students who played 1's last year (expecting these same students will play 1's in what is now their final year at the college) and the much needed injection of players from the 2018 16 A's squad (arguably one of the strongest teams in the ISA last year) hopefully St Pat's can field some quality players capable of some quality rugby in 2019.

I can testify to the fact that the boys from Breen have been working hard in the gym to build their strength, and on the field to nail the fundamental skills that underpin rugby that they were missing last year. Despite this, I have no real point of reference to their progression as compared to the likes of other schools who have strong and thriving rugby programs and so these marked improvements to the boys from Pats might be nothing compared the likes of players from other ISA schools. However, I'm optimistic that their pre-season training has helped them refine and strengthen their skills.

Pats should start the season strong with a trial against Sydney Grammar at home on April 6. An almost guaranteed win in the first round should give the boys a much needed boost in their confidence, however they must be wary of any complacency or hubris that seeps through the cracks of their humility. This is because in the ensuing weeks the boys will face tough competition from the likes of Knox (Away April 27), Trinity (Away May 4), SHORE (Away May 11), Aloys (Home May 18), Riverview (Venue TBE May 25).

The ISA season will kick off for Pats against Auggies (Away June 1).

The ISA season for the Pat's boys will continue into round 2, for whom their competition and venue is TBC. Round 3 will see Pats playing Oakhill (Home June 22).

The Pat's 1's and 2's as well as the 16 A's will also have a trial against Barker in the school hols (Away July 20), and then face off against Kinross for Round 4 (Home July 27), Gregs (Away August 3), Pius (Home August 10) and finally Stannies (Away August 17).

I'm also quite excited to see how Pius 1's perform this year after a pleasantly surprising performance in the 16 A's competition last year. Will be great to see the lads from Pius and the lads from Pats face-off on Breen. It should be a great game to remember as traditional rivals go head to head in tough contest.

Looking forward to the season ahead, should be a lot of fun for everyone.

HI AC&NP, thanks for kicking things off with your contribution. I too hope that St Pat's are competitive this season as a strong competition bodes well for all schools! Good luck in your trails and vs. Auggies! See you in round 3 of the ISA comp!

DaSchmooze

Johnnie Wallace (23)
Saw tat Pius is advertising for a 1st XV coach - an external provider or contractor, not a teaching staff member.

This is the way to go. Schools who persist with the 'teaching staff must coach" model take note - you want english teachers teaching english and rugby coaches coaching rugby. If it turns out that an English teacher can and wants to coach Rugby that's awesome, but forcing inexperienced staff to take a sport they neither love or have any experience in is old world thinking and elicits predictable results.

Good luck to Pius this year - it will be very interesting to see how they track.

RugbyTears

Chris McKivat (8)
"English teachers who wants to coach rugby" like Mr Papahatzis, Mr Melville, Mr Wisemantel, Mr Burke etc etc haven't done too badly in the last decade. Issue is not who coaches the 1st XV …. it is finding the right people to coach 13As to 13Ds . Pius has some real talent in year 11 and they will be in the mix this year & next year.

Lebron I’ve heard reports that the team is looking good for this season they had a disappointing season in 2018 losing every game by a fair amount except for the last game against Greg’s but with a new year11 coming through the ranks looks to be an interesting year can’t wait

Ya Boy

Frank Row (1)
I think Auggies are premiership favourites. They have 2 Aus Schools players returning and their Year 11 cohort A side has never lost.

Rich_E

Ron Walden (29)
Scots 7s are on again

Saturday 6 April 2019 - see pic below.

I believe Stannies, TAS, RKS from Fiji (last year's winners), Scots, a NSW Development team, Shore and others are competing.

I will share full list of schools competing when I know.

Rich_E

Ron Walden (29)
IMG_4515.jpg

Bob McGuire

Frank Nicholson (4)
Who's your tip for this season Bob?
After further analysis of the past 16A’s season and also last years teams, St Pius and Augustine’s are looking strong throughout the ranks. Although Stannies are always a force to be reckoned with. Anyone else have any predictions?

Dottie

Frank Row (1)
I know boys have little interest in Pats rugby this year but they are looking like underdogs. With the 16A's almost coming for the premiership last year, the 1st XV could have a good chance with ranking better than last year, or even ranking in the top four. Being optimistic Pats could give quite a shock to the big teams like stannies, auggies, kinross. Thoughts?

Bob McGuire

Frank Nicholson (4)
I know boys have little interest in Pats rugby this year but they are looking like underdogs. With the 16A's almost coming for the premiership last year, the 1st XV could have a good chance with ranking better than last year, or even ranking in the top four. Being optimistic Pats could give quite a shock to the big teams like stannies, auggies, kinross. Thoughts?
I don’t think Kinross will be too strong this year like they were last year. A lot of depth has left the side

SpeedBump

Bob McCowan (2)
I don’t think Kinross will be too strong this year like they were last year. A lot of depth has left the side

Yeah true, Kinross in younger age groups in previous years have struggled against the other ISA teams. Hopefully still a strong competitor