• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

ISA 2022

Babaganoosh

Frank Row (1)
Its interesting to observe the Auggies program and performances. This year the Auggies First XV trial form was very hard to read. In addition to those positive Oakhill results against GPS and CAS teams noted by HS, St Pats beat Trinity, Cranbrook and Aloys, drew with Joeys Seconds (noting Auggies lost to Joeys Seconds). Having said that St Pats were comfortably beaten in all lower grades by Auggies (and Oakhill) and there are definitely lots of good things happening for Auggies Rugby. I have no doubt Auggies will continue to be a force in ISA Rugby.

I’m familiar with the 2021 16s age group, mostly in Year 11 2022. I know there are a small group of St Pats year 11 players who have never lost to Auggies through the age groups and now in this 2022 First XV, although the schools didn’t play each other in 2021 due to COVID, but that age group has always been close and not dominated by Auggies or any one school, but that is a rarity for St Pats v Auggies. I’m also genuinely curious about players who left Auggies for other schools who would have been in the 2022 Firsts.
Ollie is the obvious one, others include
Ben Di Staso - Scots
Nic Vanderrayden - scots
Lachlan Marshall - taken by Newington, now at joeys
Ted Whelan - Knox
Tom Sheehan - Waverly
Matt Hanley - Barker
Charlie Ponyton - Barker,
Similiar story with last year
The 2024 Auggies first, if all players stay, will be one to watch

OldManEmu

Banned
I only watched one game live but followed Kinross from afar. Yes a tough season which they will hopefully reflect on and improve. I would be interested to know from others what they thought of Kinross’ discipline. In the game I watched they received a red and 2 yellows, and in their next game I think they got 2 reds. Games are hard enough to win let alone when you are down players because of ill discipline. Coaches can coach until they are blue in the face but it’s up to the players / students to show discipline on the field. I wonder if the players / students get too wrapped up in the battle that they are not focused on winning the war!
Garbage

JackJill

Chris McKivat (8)
Yes the 2024 and 2025 Auggies 1st teams, providing all players stay, will be one to watch. Fantastic coaches mixed with fantastic players provided some awesome results throughout the season. The 16s beat Joeys in the preseason and a strong Oakhill side to decide who wins the premiership. The 15s only ever lost Joeys and Newington throughout the whole season and only losing to Pius in the ISA season which was very out of the ordinary. Auggies have some strong talent throughout all their junior age groups which is great to see for the program. Auggies now have created a sort of positive stigma around the beaches where Rats and Marlins players are now actively wanting to go there to play with a better structured and functional program. Awesome things for the Auggies program to come.

JackJill

Chris McKivat (8)
DA,

Whilst this year is only 1 year, to be honest the only ISA school over the last few years that has really competed against the stronger CAS schools has been Oakhill. There may be the odd Auggies lower grade team that is very strong eg their 14as this year, but the rest of the teams I doubt would be really competitive, and 1 strong school doesn't solve the CAS issue.

Even Oakhill this year, who clearly dominated the IS 1sts comp, found it tough against Barker and Waves. Yes they drew with Waves, who under performed this year, and whilst played well to get a draw, the Waves had a big lead which they did not protect.
I am pretty sure the other ISA schools would not fare well at the moment v the stronger CAS schools, and that includes Cranbrook who are now demonstrating a stronger rugby program across the age groups.

I have constantly stated that I am a fan of creating a stronger 2 tiered system, but I don't think that ISA by itself solves the problem/opportunity.
So whilst you think the CAS may be boffins, I think you are over-stating the strength of the ISA based on recent years performances.

Keen to hear your thoughts and others.

Cheers.
Hi WLF3. I disagree with you commenting that Oakhill have dominated these last few years. With the 2020 season not really counting, I think Auggies have proven to be a large test against not only Oaks, but many CAS/GPS schools. The 2018 1stXV Auggies side were the best in Australia. I also don't think there is the "odd" Auggies side that is very strong as all u13,15,16 A teams beat Oaks. What I do believe is Oakhill and Auggies definetly have the two largest and well structured programs in the ISA competition. And if I were to merge competitions I would add those two schools first from the ISA side of things. St Pats have also proven their worth this season with Conti and Woods being in year 10 and absolutely killing it in the firsts (props to them.) Interesting times ahead for the ISA season as I see it developing as a three horse race (could also throw Stannies in there as they have a very strong outfit for younger age groups.)

This is the score list from when Oaks Vs Auggies.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-08-23 at 10.30.52 pm.png
    Screen Shot 2022-08-23 at 10.30.52 pm.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 296

WLF3

Darby Loudon (17)
Hi WLF3. I disagree with you commenting that Oakhill have dominated these last few years. With the 2020 season not really counting, I think Auggies have proven to be a large test against not only Oaks, but many CAS/GPS schools. The 2018 1stXV Auggies side were the best in Australia. I also don't think there is the "odd" Auggies side that is very strong as all u13,15,16 A teams beat Oaks. What I do believe is Oakhill and Auggies definetly have the two largest and well structured programs in the ISA competition. And if I were to merge competitions I would add those two schools first from the ISA side of things. St Pats have also proven their worth this season with Conti and Woods being in year 10 and absolutely killing it in the firsts (props to them.) Interesting times ahead for the ISA season as I see it developing as a three horse race (could also throw Stannies in there as they have a very strong outfit for younger age groups.)

This is the score list from when Oaks Vs Auggies.
Fair enough Jack,

I have always included Auggies as 1 of the 2 ISA schools of strength, how the age groups would fair against the strong CAS schools, time will tell, but I do see these 2 schools as playing a real role in the early part of our seasons, but I can't see anyone else in the ISA comp to be honest.
Happy to be corrected.

JackJill

Chris McKivat (8)
Ollie is the obvious one, others include
Ben Di Staso - Scots
Nic Vanderrayden - scots
Lachlan Marshall - taken by Newington, now at joeys
Ted Whelan - Knox
Tom Sheehan - Waverly
Matt Hanley - Barker
Charlie Ponyton - Barker,
Similiar story with last year
Tom Wheen - Brisbane Boys
Sebastian Severino - Barker

OldFatSlow

Frank Row (1)
I'd put Oakhill in the same category as some of the best teams In Australia for 14s, along with scots and joeys. Talen Risati and Cyrus Bloomfield (of Oakhill) will be huge names to look for in the future.
100% agree with this. That 14s side are freakishly good and Talen & Cyrus are in a class of their own. Both boys are superstars in the making and unfortunately, I doubt either will be at Oakhill (or playing ISA) for much longer....Regardless of if they're tempted elsewhere or not, I only hope they stay with Rugby......As good as the 14s are there's actually 5 or 6 u14 boys playing in the 15s, four of whom were selected in the U14 NSW Gen Blue squad so you'd have to say that Oaks can put together an U14 side that is top 3 in the country. No surprise considering that the 2022 U14 State Titles Grand Final was played between Two Blues and Eastwood, both sides had 5 or 6 Oakhill boys.

StanniesLineout

Frank Row (1)
Anyone have any predicted 1st XV lineups for next year?
Oakhill 1st XV
1. Riley Foster
2. Riley Foster
3. Riley Foster
4. Riley Foster
5. Riley Foster
6. Riley Foster
7. Riley Foster
8. Riley Foster
9. Riley Foster
10. Riley Foster
11. Riley Foster
12. Riley Foster
13. Riley Foster
14. Riley Foster
15. Riley Foster

OldFatSlow

Frank Row (1)
Oakhill 1st XV
1. Riley Foster
2. Riley Foster
3. Riley Foster
4. Riley Foster
5. Riley Foster
6. Riley Foster
7. Riley Foster
8. Riley Foster
9. Riley Foster
10. Riley Foster
11. Riley Foster
12. Riley Foster
13. Riley Foster
14. Riley Foster
15. Riley Foster
Who is Riley Foster??
I think you can pretty much guarantee Lennox Risati, Ryan Jacobs, Hamish Goonan (if he stops injuring himself), Jo McEnearney will all be in the 1st's next year. I'm not up to speed with the rest of the senior boys at Oakhill.

Last edited:

Chunky444

Frank Row (1)
Who is Riley Foster??
I think you can pretty much guarantee Lennox Risati, Ryan Jacobs, Hamish Goonan (if he stops injuring himself), Jo McEnearney will all be in the 1st's next year. I'm not up to speed with the rest of the senior boys at Oakhill.
Not sure how Joe McEnearney will go in terms of making 1st XV, Ryan edwards and jed Mcdonald-singh will have the wing positions locked down