• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

ISA 2023

JackJill

Sydney Middleton (9)
Auggies v Oakhill Game Report

It was a fantastic day for rugby out at Castle Hill yesterday, Oakhill's proud gala day was in full swing as students and parents were gathered around fun rides and Oakhill's famous barbecue. After a 2nd XV nail-biter went in Auggies favour, it was time for the big one. Oakhill's tunnel was long and proud as they chanted on the boys in maroon and gold. At first glimpse, Oakhill had a sizeable advantage over Auggies, which was evident in their first two tries being off the back of the momentum of these big boys. 12-0 after 10 minutes, you would've thought it could just maybe be a blowout. But, after an Auggies scrum 40 out, Auggies big no. 13 ran a great inside line straight through Oakhill's defense scoring a well-executed try. Game-on. After a solid period of back and forth, Auggies scored another off the back of some swift hands from 13. It was 12-10 at halftime, Oakhill gained some momentum leading into the second half, but their hopes were shattered when Auggies 9 stole a pass and ran the length of the field to score under the sticks. After that, Auggies stepped up their physicality and Oakhill took a step off, with Auggies forwards gaining momentum up the middle of the field, allowing their backs to get into space, and boy did they make them pay. Oakhill kept attempting to get themselves back into the game but the sharp execution and gritty defense of Auggies was too much for them. A great performance from Auggies, taking a big step towards the ISA premiership, as for Oakhill, a great start but they cannot afford to take their foot off the gas against such an electric side like Auggies (and Pats). If Pats beat Oakhill in 2 weeks' time (hopefully) we will see an Auggies Pats final game of the season being the decider.

DaSchmooze

Syd Malcolm (24)
ISA Round 4: 29-7-23

Pius host Oakhill - It's been a month since Pius last played a comp game. For some, this extended lay off is opportunity to re-group and rehabilitate injuries. Will this be the case for Pius, or will they be a bit rusty. Perhaps some Pius snouts could tell us what they've been up to in the break? Regardless, I dont see this going Pius' way. Whilst they are always capable of the upset, Oakhill's forward pack should e too much for them to handle and I think this should be fairly comfortable for the Golden Shoulders.
Prediction - Oakhill by 20+ Castle Towers's

Auggies host Kinross - Last weekend's result against Greg's was a surprise for me. I thought it would have been closer than that. And having heard that scoreline, I dont see a lot of hope for the Orangemen this weekend. By the sounds of it, Auggies mobile pack out pinned Oakhill allowing their speedy backs plenty of opportunity.
Prediction - Auggies by 20+ "Yeah brah's"

Gregs host Stannies - Match of the Round. This game will be a nail biter. Having scored a good win on the road last week, Gregs will host an eminently capable Stanies this week. Having watched Stannies on Saturday, I can say that they have a stable set piece and quality backs - their back three of particular note. Lots of size, lots of pace. Greg's will need an answer to Stannies tight ruck defence - tey make their first up tackles with rigour and Gregs wont be able to crash their way through. I suspect the game will be won and lost in the forwards with both teams able to run the ball effectively. It's who's going to have it the most that matters.
At the start of the season, I suggested that Gregs would be one to watch and I think this will continue to be the case. I haven't seen them play, but would think at home they go in to this weekend with a hair's width better chance.
Prediction - Greg's by 2 new housing developments

Mikal Jordan

Stan Wickham (3)

Pius host Oakhill - It's been a month since Pius last played a comp game. For some, this extended lay off is opportunity to re-group and rehabilitate injuries. Will this be the case for Pius, or will they be a bit rusty. Perhaps some Pius snouts could tell us what they've been up to in the break? Regardless, I dont see this going Pius' way. Whilst they are always capable of the upset, Oakhill's forward pack should e too much for them to handle and I think this should be fairly comfortable for the Golden Shoulders.
Prediction - Oakhill by 20+ Castle Towers's

Auggies host Kinross - Last weekend's result against Greg's was a surprise for me. I thought it would have been closer than that. And having heard that scoreline, I dont see a lot of hope for the Orangemen this weekend. By the sounds of it, Auggies mobile pack out pinned Oakhill allowing their speedy backs plenty of opportunity.
Prediction - Auggies by 20+ "Yeah brah's"

Gregs host Stannies - Match of the Round. This game will be a nail biter. Having scored a good win on the road last week, Gregs will host an eminently capable Stanies this week. Having watched Stannies on Saturday, I can say that they have a stable set piece and quality backs - their back three of particular note. Lots of size, lots of pace. Greg's will need an answer to Stannies tight ruck defence - tey make their first up tackles with rigour and Gregs wont be able to crash their way through. I suspect the game will be won and lost in the forwards with both teams able to run the ball effectively. It's who's going to have it the most that matters.
At the start of the season, I suggested that Gregs would be one to watch and I think this will continue to be the case. I haven't seen them play, but would think at home they go in to this weekend with a hair's width better chance.
Prediction - Greg's by 2 new housing developments
Over the break the Pius boys travelled up to QLD to take on Gregory Terrace and Nudgee 3rd XV

Heard from the Terrace game - Pius showed up and towered over the boys from Tennyson
7-7 Draw with Nudges

DaSchmooze

Syd Malcolm (24)
Over the break the Pius boys travelled up to QLD to take on Gregory Terrace and Nudgee 3rd XV

Heard from the Terrace game - Pius showed up and towered over the boys from Tennyson
7-7 Draw with Nudges
Great to hear. I had big concerns for them if they hadnt played any footy at all until this weekend.

Thomas B Rugbyboot

Frank Nicholson (4)

Pius host Oakhill - Well after last week's performance, Oakhill will have to rely on keeping more possession rather than kicking it away. If the can do this then they should win. That being said if Pius get possession then they may indeed get the win. Oakhill to win.

Auggies host Kinross -Auggies looked good with the amount of possession they received last week. Their backline certainly clicked. I can't seek Kinross travelling and troubling Auggies down on the beaches. A strong win for Auggies

Gregs host Stannies - Gregs had a good win last week over a travelling Kinross. Stannies on the other hand sound like they have improved from their first game. It will depend on which team turns up on the day. I'm backing the home side Gregs to get the win.

Gutho12

Frank Row (1)
Pius 5 vs Oakhill 43
Pius manned up for the first half being a tight game 5-12 for most the half especially with many 2XV and 16s having to fill in for injured players, Oakhill were just too good for them in the second hard, and Pius defending on their line for most of the first half they ran out of puff in the second half conceding 5 unanswered tries.

Choptackle

Allen Oxlade (6)
Augustine’s VS Kinross Game Report
Great day of Rugby out at Narrabeen today. With the local derby Shute shield match occupying Auggies usual Rat park home ground Sydney Academy of sport was the ground in play today.
The game started off in the first 10 minutes relatively close with each team getting a try on the board. However after Kinross got their try on the board this proved to be the turning point as Auggies put the foot on the gas pedal and scored a couple of well worked tries before half time. After the break was no different as the flood gates opened and the well oiled machine of Augustine’s piled on a multitude of tries bringing the end score to 69-7. Congratulations to Kinross who held their own until the end of a tough game

JackJill

Sydney Middleton (9)
Augustine’s VS Kinross Game Report
Great day of Rugby out at Narrabeen today. With the local derby Shute shield match occupying Auggies usual Rat park home ground Sydney Academy of sport was the ground in play today.
The game started off in the first 10 minutes relatively close with each team getting a try on the board. However after Kinross got their try on the board this proved to be the turning point as Auggies put the foot on the gas pedal and scored a couple of well worked tries before half time. After the break was no different as the flood gates opened and the well oiled machine of Augustine’s piled on a multitude of tries bringing the end score to 69-7. Congratulations to Kinross who held their own until the end of a tough game
I watched Auggies last week against Oakhill, they are one of the more exciting teams to watch this year. They shift the ball around a lot and take many opportunities throughout the game that keeps the defense on their toes. They have a similar playing style to the All Blacks. The constant ball movement was a key reason the Oakhill pack ran out of juice. Pats play a very similar way as well, 10 controls the game expertly while 15 roams around the ruck looking for any chances to strike, as he does so well.

DaSchmooze

Syd Malcolm (24)
ISA Round 5: 5-8-23
Oakhill hosts Pats - Match of the round and a game that can shape the ladder for the year. Oakhill needs to win to keep their hopes of a shared premiership alive, Pats need to win to keep their hopes of an outright premiership alive - it's going to be great viewing. The formula for beating Oakhill is there on display. Keep their big forwards moving and secure quick ball and you've got em. Engage in a slugfest and you dont. Will Pats have the confidence in their game to take it to them? I think they can! But Oakhill will defend their patch of turf on Old Northern Road doggedly. A very tight game indeed.
Predication: Head says Oakhill, heart says Pats. Too close to call.

Kinross host Pius - Kinross will be licking their wounds from last week for sure. Not an unexpected result but certainly the scoreline was. I think they're going to struggle against Chatswood this week. Pius have been and will continue to be a tough opposition regardless of where they are playing. They too will be cranky about their loss to Oakhill last week so both teams will hit the paddock with something to prove.
Predication - Pius to win

Stannies host Auggies - Well... if the upset is on, it will be on at Hogwarts on Saturday. Unlike any other team, Stannies at home is a very big hill to climb. With the full support of their parochial home crowd, Stannies are capable of beating anyone. I'm going to say that the forward battle will probably be close to parity meaning the game will be won and lost outwide. f Stannies can put pressure on their inside backs, the game is in play. If they let Auggies run, the game is lost - a siimple equation.
Predication - On paper an easy win for Auggies but a cheeky $5 on the upset for Stannies

Thomas B Rugbyboot

Frank Nicholson (4)
ISA Round 5: 5-8-23

Oakhill hosts Pats - Last week Oakhill decided to maintain possession and not kick it away and their forwards and backs combined to win the game. Pats have been playing good consistent rugby all year. Give their backs the ball and they can score points. Oakhill will be at full strength for the first time since round 2. Playing at home gives Oakhill a slight advantage. Oakhill to win.

Kinross host Pius - Kinross's large loss last week has not instilled a lot of confidence they can turn things around. Pius defence was tested last week by Oakhill, however I don't believe Kinross has the same firepower as Oakhill. Based on previous results, Pius to win.

Stannies host Auggies - Playing at Stannies always raises a few concerns for visiting teams as history would suggest. Stannies do seem to lift when playing at home. However this years Auggies team has talent across the paddock. Stannies forwards may hold them for a period of time, however I think Auggies will prevail quite comfortably in the end. Auggies to win.