• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

ISA Rugby 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pedro

Sydney Middleton (9)
Auggies No 4 proved hard to stop and I thought Auggies backs played better positional play in defence ~Stannies wingers stand too far back I always only have the open winger stand well back but Stannies blind wing stands 35 meters back from scrums & mauls in defence and attack. In my opinion that is a big weakness.

Pedro

Sydney Middleton (9)
I believe Stannies are a chance for the Warratah finals but so are Kinros Auggies and Oakhill

Pedro

Sydney Middleton (9)
I doubt Kinros will get St Amdrewsover Oakhill there is a chance it could be Stannies vs Oakhill but I think Hills forwards are too big for Stannies unless Stannies use their speed and fitness to run them off their legs like they did with last

The Galah

Darby Loudon (17)
I believe Stannies are a chance for the Warratah finals but so are Kinros Auggies and Oakhill
Haven't been across Waratah Shield this year - who are left. I know St Augustine's rate Kinross which is the final round in ISA comp I believe

Wood Rat

Alfred Walker (16)
Hi everyone, Auggies 27 Stannies 24 with 10 to go was Auggies 12 Stannies 24in the last minute 24 all Auggies kicked a penalty goal tp win. Those Stannies players are good but lose focus in the last 10 when they are ahead they forget you have to play every minute in the moment. Glad to see the competition is close.

Augies lead 12 - 9 at 1/2 time with a bracing wind at their back (2 tries to 3 penalty goals) the depleted St augustines dicipline letting them down giving penalties at a ratio of between 4 and 6 to 1(No. 9 may have some insights to this) Stannies kicker potted 3 from 40m+ into the wind. A more thoughtfull 2nd half limmited the kickers oportunities.
4 tries Augustines, Stannies 2 tries
at least two regular u/16 lads got run in the 1st XV for Augustines

The Galah

Darby Loudon (17)
Just reading the exchanges on this thread in last week or so - as with the Waratah Shield not as up to date as I should be. Hadn't caught up with Oakhill /Augustines result and must say I am indeed bemused . Good to see a reversal on recent years but does anyone seriously think schools' rugby is the poorer from the rise of St Augustine's over the past 5 or so years? They have set a standard which others aspire to and from which the game benefits across the board in much the same way Eastwood and now Manly (St Augustine's alumni well represented) and Norths are taking it to Uni in Shute Shield.

rugbug

Stan Wickham (3)
Welcome back Pedro. Sounds like a good game out Bathurst way. Stanies will have to play very strongly away from home to get anywhere. They were poor and lost against an average St Pats.

Watched St Greg's touch up Pats today. Best from St Gregs were no.10, fullback, inside centre and tight 5 won the battle.Think score was 54-25. Gregs backs scored some smart runaway tries. poor first up tackles by St Pats, Josh Toweel no 7 best for them, with No 8 and captain Michael Van D trying hard all match. Not much else. Even the two good centres for St Pats outplayed.

Any other scores? Oakhill, Kinross.
conceit

RugbyTears

Chris McKivat (8)
Just reading the exchanges on this thread in last week or so - as with the Waratah Shield not as up to date as I should be. Hadn't caught up with Oakhill /Augustines result and must say I am indeed bemused . Good to see a reversal on recent years but does anyone seriously think schools' rugby is the poorer from the rise of St Augustine's over the past 5 or so years? They have set a standard which others aspire to and from which the game benefits across the board in much the same way Eastwood and now Manly (St Augustine's alumni well represented) and Norths are taking it to Uni in Shute Shield.
Hi Galah . Maybe a misunderstanding but I don't think anyone on this thread or anyone associated with ISA thinks school rugby is poorer because of the rise of St Augustine's. Personally I think they been great for schoolboy rugby ever since they beat Joeys at Hunters Hill and a strong CAS school in the Waratah Shield a few years back. ISA schools or anyone playing them have all had to step up to keep up with them. I think the ranting on this thread been on the selection logic of the ISA team(s) rather saying schoolboy rugby is poorer. Thats the irony -- because of Augguies, the other ISA schools are working a hell lot harder and producing players as good and maybe even better than Augguies players but not being recognised in the ISA selection policy. Pls pls pls I don't want to initiate an avalanche of postings on selection. I think I will regret mentioning the "S" word :)

The Galah

Darby Loudon (17)
Hi Galah . Maybe a misunderstanding but I don't think anyone on this thread or anyone associated with ISA thinks school rugby is poorer because of the rise of St Augustine's. Personally I think they been great for schoolboy rugby ever since they beat Joeys at Hunters Hill and a strong CAS school in the Waratah Shield a few years back. ISA schools or anyone playing them have all had to step up to keep up with them. I think the ranting on this thread been on the selection logic of the ISA team(s) rather saying schoolboy rugby is poorer. Thats the irony -- because of Augguies, the other ISA schools are working a hell lot harder and producing players as good and maybe even better than Augguies players but not being recognised in the ISA selection policy. Pls pls pls I don't want to initiate an avalanche of postings on selection. I think I will regret mentioning the "S" word :)
Possibly I am not entirely in tune with sentiment on the thread and I declare an historical but not current interest in St Augustine's. That said I know John Papahatzis is a shrewd judge of rugby talent , very loyal to his players and a strong character. Suspect the latter two traits must have ruffled feathers this year. Just did a casual read of the Australian Schools team v Tonga . Two things;

1.Of those who may have overlooked for whatever reason have made that cohort ?

2.Seems to me to be an over representation of GPS players and two schools in particular , can the same criticisms be made of selections there?

i appreciate the desperation of some players or perhaps their parents and coaches to be part of the schoolboy elite but it ain't the end of the world . Unless you think you really are a chance of being a Wallaby a diverse, enjoyable and for some, lucrative rugby career can come out of Shute shield where increasingly players are being signed up without being at Super 15 level either by overseas clubs - French, Japanese etc and often without the school experience too, having been overlooked at that stage or a late convert/developer. See the recent angst of a few of the clubs who have lost players this season in that regard.

R

Rugby Reality

Only what is in the papers:
BMGS 24 bt Oxley 10
Chev 87 bt Scots 0
Redfield College defeated St Pats Strathfield 2nd XV by 30 to nil. Redfield played very well. I stayed on and watched the St Pats 1st XV and St Gregs. The score was about 55-20 to St Gregs. Gregs backs were very good and commend the St Pats forwards who kept defending for the full 70 minutes.

R

Rugby Reality

Redfield usually play their first trial of the season against St Pats 1st XV but for some reason this didn't happen. Would have been an interesting game this year.

Pedro

Sydney Middleton (9)
Are we watching the same game ? the refs watch in the Pats /Stannies game stopped and they went on the linesmans watch, after being penalised the full length of the field and Pats given numerous opportunites, and no official time displayed Pats finally crossed the line and converted to put them 2 points in front and it was immediately declared full time. It wasn't full time ten seconds before, so they had to have a lieout.
Stannies recent record is Kinross and Knox a draw, Pats 2 point conversion on full time and Auggies 3 point penalty 10 seconds before full time.
I believe everyone says most of the teams are fairly even, and I agree. I believe St Augustines and Oakhill had the benefit of lots of representative selections and this as we all know means more game time with supposedly better coaches.
I am glad St Gregs have been going well.
Wouldn't we all benefit from the selection process which had a portion of a quota system, say eight division one teams fill 24 places with each of 8 schools guaranteed 2 players -16 places, with a round robin knockout carnaval before selections, enabling the winner and runner up to fill the remaining 8 places, 5 for the winner 3 for the runner up.
Division 2 get to fight over the remaining places to make up 2 rep ISA sides. Who can complain with this, everyone gets a couple of players in and the best two teams get most of the players in.

Pedro

Sydney Middleton (9)
I know there are lots of opportunities and development for next year, however rep football IS a lot of fun. Share the fun around.

Blackers13

Syd Malcolm (24)
I think the 'smokies' for 2012 are Kinross and this Saturday they take on Oakhill in both a round of the ISA and Waratah Shield. Oaks built themselves up for Auggies and were scratchy despite winning by 50+ against Pius. If Oakhill don't have their heads on right this week, the boys from Orange may cause an upset.

Wood Rat

Alfred Walker (16)
I think the 'smokies' for 2012 are Kinross and this Saturday they take on Oakhill in both a round of the ISA and Waratah Shield. Oaks built themselves up for Auggies and were scratchy despite winning by 50+ against Pius. If Oakhill don't have their heads on right this week, the boys from Orange may cause an upset.

No9 earlier
"I thought playing 1st XV level requires focus in every encounter unless you are arrogant to the point of not respecting your opposition".

crofty

Allen Oxlade (6)
Agree with Ryan that based on year to date results Kinross are a good side. Despite HSC trials commencing this week and the Oakhill side largely consisting of year 12 boys, the Oakhill coaches and players will be well prepared for this Saturday's encounter. There is a lot of respect for Kinross at Oakhill - particularly after their victory in the final round of last year's comp. Will be another good day of rugby at Oakhill this Saturday.

Status
Not open for further replies.