• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

ISA Rugby 2013

Who will take out the Opens Div 1 title for ISA in 2103

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tom Ando

Fred Wood (13)
Considering CAS and GPS have already started a thread for next year I thought I might start the ISA thread for 2013. The season has only just ended but as Roy and H.G. were quoted as asking "is this a case of when too much rugby is never enough" Yes, Yes it is. Looking forward to the 2013 season

Tom Ando

Fred Wood (13)
Also because I play in ISA Div 2 and think we should get as much of the ISA limelight as possible, Who are your tips to win the ISA First XV Div 2 comp next year? Redfield? All Saints? Chev? Central Coast? Scots Bathurst? Redlands? Blue Mountains? or Oxley?

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Repost from the Waratah Shield Thread, refering to the St Augustines 1st XV next year

The usual starting xv include
2 Cooke yr 11
6 Walker yr 10
8 Hanigan yr 11
10 Arnold yr 11
12 Donlan yr 11
13 Ibbotson yr 11
14 taylor yr 11
15 cochrane yr 11

Natoli will be replaced by taefutu yr 11 who played 10 the last month whilst Cochcrane was out. 11 will be McDonald who also played most of the year.
Year 10 boys who have been blooded in the last month or so include backrowers Lough & George ???, And Kaplan who filled in at 12, also an islander boy who filled in at 13 quite a few times

The GPS 2013 thread suggests that Lough may/may not be at Auggies next year.

Runner

Nev Cottrell (35)
Repost from the Waratah Shield Thread, refering to the St Augustines 1st XV next year

The GPS 2013 thread suggests that Lough may/may not be at Auggies next year.

Parker in yr 11 broken hand (??) against Oakhill and was out rest of season also back.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Fresh from the Under 16 Nationals, I can see some interesting battles in the Schools Opens loose forwards next season:

GPS I 6 or 8. Crichton
GPS II or III 6. Woodhill, 7. Menzies, 8. Ballyntyne
ISA I or II 6. Walker (Aug), 7. Moore (SAC), 8. Lough (Aug)
CAS I or II 6. Burkett, 8. Summerhayes

The ISA boys will be on to loose ball like a pack of Hyenas, and create turnovers like an Austrian Pastry Chef.

exISA

Fred Wood (13)
Im a Chev old boy - back when they played in Division one ;) . Shame they had to drop to Div 2 but with the loss of boarding it was bound to happen. Us boarders were the heart and soul of the 1st XV. We went down to sometimes 4th XV back in my day . I still chat to Peter Reeves every now and then, bumped into him when he was coaching NSW 2nd XV in 2010 at the Schoolboys champs at Ballymoore.

Tom Ando

Fred Wood (13)
Oh really? haha yeah it is a shame the quality of the Chev teams have really dropped too overall. And I wish i still went to 4th's but we couldn't even get a 2nd's this year because the attitude was that if they didn't get into 1st's then they wouldn't play at all. It's sad. And yeah Mr Reeves coached me this year in First XV but he just stepped down to just assisting because he is now assistant principal so he doesn't have the time to give 100% to both jobs. Actually for some really weird reason our new coach came around today at school because we are playing an exhibition match against Daramalan this Sunday! So if you have nothing to do, head down to Darra haha. The Year 10's will have to step up to fill in for the Year 12's but it will basically be next years team in skeleton form

exISA

Fred Wood (13)
Id love to pop down and see the game against Dara (im a dara old boy too ;) ) but I live in the USA now (coaching here) . So a flight over for that would be pretty costly . Good luck in the game though.

Its a shame that people won't play "just because they arent in the firsts" , it all comes down to attitude though and if they have that attitude then chances are they would stink up the joint anyway.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
With the GPS schools joining CAS as a 6 team, 2 round competition, where does that leave ISA? Doesn't really seem to affect 2nd division, but would seem to make finding trials more difficult for division 1 teams.

Any thoughts out there? There were 2 schools who found it difficult to field many sides this year and who didn't contest A grade matches in the age groups 13-16. Is an 8 team competition still viable for ISA?

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Runner Up.

Results and banter on this thread http://www.greenandgoldrugby.com/co...tional-schools-rugby-sevens-tournament.11775/

Full ARU News report here:
http://www.rugby.com.au/tryrugby/News/NewsArticle/tabid/1760/ArticleID/7896/Default.aspx

.../snip/...

National Schoolboys 7’s results

Cup Final (1st/2nd)
Keebra Park State (QLD), 24 defeated St. Gregory’s (NSW) 19

3rd/4th playoff
Marist College, (ACT) 28 defeated Erindale, (ACT) 0 (Erindale forfeit)

Plate Final (5th/6th)
Aranmore Catholic (WA), 32 defeated Westfields Sports (NSW), 5

7th/8th playoff
Hills Sports (NSW), 22 defeated St. Brendan’s (QLD) 15

Bowl final (9th/10th)
Brisbane State (QLD), 29 defeated Victoria University Secondary, (VIC) 17

11th/12th playoff
Taminmin College (NT), 12 defeated Rostrevor College, (SA) 7

Full report here:
http://www.rugby.com.au/tryrugby/News/NewsArticle/tabid/1760/ArticleID/7896/Default.aspx

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
WorkingClassRugger, Is the Squad they will work on boys from the rugby programme, or across the board from the school including the Loig programme boys?

When they seem to have the loig boys available, typically in the latter 1/2 of ISA comp, the results are different to those earlier in the season and at trials.

RugbyTears

Chris McKivat (8)
Anyone of you guys have reliable news if 2013 will be double round or not ? I did hear rumblings there are sports masters wanting to go that way as early as 2013. Been overseas for months so not kept up with the gossip. As I mentioned previously, for double round to work the crucial element will be a strong St Greg's across all age groups. Potential is certainly there -- great to hear news from Working Class Rugger.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
My information from a fairly reliable source is that ISA 1 round in 2013. 2 rounds would involve significant extra expense, particularly for Stannies and Kinross who would have to transport all of their teams to Sydney 5 extra times each year.

Decision making is a bit more complex in ISA as not all of the 1st Div schools are full members so they don't have a vote. (As I understand it Augustines, Gregs and Kinross are associate members and have no say in decision making). I checked the ISA website to confirm this.

Who knows when a final decision will be reached.

RugbyTears

Chris McKivat (8)
My information from a fairly reliable source is that ISA 1 round in 2013. 2 rounds would involve significant extra expense, particularly for Stannies and Kinross who would have to transport all of their teams to Sydney 5 extra times each year.

Decision making is a bit more complex in ISA as not all of the 1st Div schools are full members so they don't have a vote. (As I understand it Augustines, Gregs and Kinross are associate members and have no say in decision making). I checked the ISA website to confirm this.

Who knows when a final decision will be reached.
Thanks for the update, Q-Hands. But I am not sure the claim that Stannies & Kinross having to travel 5 times more makes sense. Two rounds would be home & away. If anything, the Sydney teams who will have more travelling. Am I missing something ?

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
I haven't done the maths on it, that was my information. But you're right, there would be more travel for Sydney schools as well. Depends as well on whether there are 8 or 6 (or 7) schools in ISA Div 1 in 2013.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
I have consulted someone who knows more about this than me and it was explained this way.

In the current set-up, Stannies would play 3 games at Bathurst, 3 games in Sydney and 1 game in Orange one year and the next year play 4 games in Bathurst and 3 in Sydney.

If it was to go to 2 rounds they would play 7 games in Bathurst, 1 in Orange and 6 in Sydney.

Substitute Orange for Bathurst and you get the Kinross equation.

So it would only mean 3 extra trips to Sydney for those schools (not 5), but still a significant cost. Sydney based schools would go from 1 game in Bathurst and Orange in alternate years to going to each venue every year (2 trips).

More money all round, but the country boys would be paying more.

Status
Not open for further replies.