• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

ISA Rugby 2014

2014 Champions

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
^^^^ It is usual ISA practice to announce a 38 person squad (2 teams of 15 and 8 reserves).

The final (still subject to change) teams for the CHS game at Rat Park is usually announced at the training session the week before.

There is usually movement of one or two lads from II's to I's (and vice versa) after the CHS game depending on form and injuries.

The squad of 38 will probably be in the papers tomorrow (as per usual practice). Check out the Sports results section in the SMH and Terrorgraph.

On trial match results reported so far on here, I'd predict lots (10-12) of Augies, 6-8 Oakhill, 5-ish Stannies, 4-5 Kinross, no more than 2 or 3 from the other schools.

pilot

Allen Oxlade (6)
Oakhill v Joeys. WOW. Oakhill came out very determined this afternoon and put in a courageous effort to just fall short of a deserved win. Oakhill started brilliantly and after 10 mins were leading 14-0. Joeys fought back to 14 all. Both teams had an intercept try.I believe this was the half time score. Second half Joeys scored as Oakhill started to tire but to their credit they struck back immediately and some great goal kicking hit the lead 21-19. It seemed like the longest second half and with a minute to go Joeys try from about 10 metres out! Congratulations to the Oakhill boys a wonderful effort. It was a gripping game to watch but I have to mention a couple of things. Oakhill had no refereeing decision go their way. Both the ref and the touch judge had a shocker and ruined the spectacle of what should have been a great game between two very good teams. Joeys should have had a lock sent off for throwing a punch that all could see but no action taken. Oakhill to their credit did not retaliate. As one Joeys student said to another as they were walking out after the game.."I can't believe we won that game" the other replying "I know". That just about sums it up. Good luck to Joey's this year they will be hard to beat.

sarcophilus

Charlie Fox (21)
Riverview won the 1stXV well today in a match that was played in good spirit by teams that demonstrated a high level of respect for each other. I am sure both squads put a lot of store in the result of this game. This was reflected in the choice by Riverview to take a penalty goal to go out by 8 rather than any other penalty option when it became available early in the first half.

After reading the posts on the other thread I feel compelled to provide a different perspective. I will not subscribe to LG's assertions backed by others that thought the Riverview scrum could have been stronger. The level of self gratification displayed in these comments will not serve the wining team or credit the Augustines lads with the praise they deserve.

Rugby is a team sport and an entire team wears the result. An ordinary kick off by St Augustines provided the Riverview team with what should have been the first advantage of the match. St Augustine's took their first and not only tight head win on this scrum to recapture some control. The match moved up and down the paddock, though not quite in a metronomic fashion, as the 'View lads had some territorial advantage. The contest was more even then our beloved moderator's assertion would suggest. The advantage was achieved on the back of poor handling and choices by the Augustine's players.

Powerful running by the 2nd rows provided two scoring opportunities for 'View were diffused by desperate defence in the 1st half, the competition is as much about having the skill to score as well as having the skill to stop scoring. One try all until View scored and converted, I think I recall correctly, as the last act of the 1st half to lead by 8 at oranges.

Two significant scoring opportunities for St Augustines were dispatched by desperate Riverview defence in the second half.
The first tries in the second half were scored by 'View taking the lead to 25-7. The last 10 minutes possession and territory was controlled by the Brookvale team and they were rewarded with a late try.

This was a willing and good spirited contest the Riverview lads demonstrated they had a more mature armoury than the developing Augustines team. Not as one sided as you may think from the posts on the other thread.

sarcophilus

Charlie Fox (21)
Oakhill v Joeys.It seemed like the longest second half and with a minute to go Joeys try from about 10 metres out! . Oakhill had no refereeing decision go their way..

I am sure it was only as long as it needed to be it should have been

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
ISA Div 2 Results (from the terrorgraph)
Redfields 27 St Andrews 19
Redlands 17 All Saints 15
Chevalier 63 Central Coast 15 (result supplied by @Sidestepper)

Joeys v Oakhill Trial
1st XV Joeys 24 Oakhill 21
2nd XV Joeys 71 Oakhill 5

Sidestepper

Frank Row (1)
Chevalier 63 def Central Coast Grammar 15.
This game was played at the most excellent grounds of CCG and was a contest for about 20mins. Then the relentless forward power of Chev took its toll and the Chev backs capitalised. A hat trick of tries to the big No 11 won him the man of the match. You know you are witnessing an expansive game of rugby when a winger can score three times.
This Chev team is no flash in the pan. In fact most of the players have only lost 2 school games since year 7. They play for each other and there are no big egos. Team selections are based on performance in your last game and not reputation, school teacher politics or pest parent lobbying.
It is a pleasure to be involved with the Div 2 ISA rugby and I encourage all parents to make the most of their son's involvement and get down to support them and their school on game day.

Ruck & Maul 101

Allen Oxlade (6)
Agree with you Wood Rat. Every year we hear whingeing about certain players getting an easy ride through the selection process. Surely the fact that these players went on and played at higher levels and succeeded at these levels in previous years add to their body of work that the selectors take into account. The boys know who they are and are happy that they get to play with these boys. All those whingers out there ,do they honestly think the best way to pick a team is watching a trial game for one hour and selecting only those boys you noticed?

Whats your ISA opens predictions?

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Sounds like some Augies boys may have justified their selections in the yet to be announced ISA squads yesterday (whether they participated in the trials or not). Same with some Oakhill lads.

Edited:

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Wasn't too far off. Given the Oak vs Joeys result, there could have been one or two more Oak boys.

Where was the list published? I didn't see it in the usual places I was expecting to see it.

BillyBlack

Allen Oxlade (6)
SO there's a squad of 38 players (15 + 15 + 8 reserves)
Is there a shadow group named as well??
Only reason I ask is because I believe there might be two Pius players (not 1 as mentioned above).
However this might be schoolyard rumours !

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
I recognise many of the names on that list, and most have featured in ISA U16 or ISA I or ISA II previously. It looks like it is arranged alphabetically in School Groups, so here goes my guess as to where the lads listed above have come from:

St Augustines
Afu, Faatui, Fontaine, Halaifonau, J Lough, L Lough, Marr, McRae, Nettleton, O'Toole, J Thomas. J Walker

Kinross Wolaroi
Holder, Robinson, C Walker, Yeomans

St Andrews
Adcock, Moore

Oakhill College
Anderson, Day, Goddard, Graham, Partridge, Robson,

St Stanislaus
Burns, Donato, Marks, Oxley (not College (?), must be Stannies based on the 6 reps above), Taylor, S Thomas

St Gregory's
Anetelea, Fa'avae-Eli, Masima, Vaohea

St Pius
Toohey

St Patricks Strathfield
Cilona, James, Norah

Anyone have the Under 16 List?

I may have a lash at grouping the above names in positions based on various U16 and opens programmes I have, but there are a few names I may need some assistance on.

Whale berry

Larry Dwyer (12)
St Pius Report - Sat 17th May

There was a last minute schedule change with Pius 1XV playing Shore 2nd XV, and Pius 2XV playing Sydney Boys High 1XV and Pius 3XV playing Sydney Boys High 2XV.
Nobody seemed to how or why.
Sydney High pumped the Pius teams in both games.

Sydney High had a very good No8, No6 and No13 who were the differences between the two teams in the 2XV vs SBHS 1XV game

A couple of disturbing things to report;
There was a bit of push and shove going on near the sideline and the SBHS "manager" (he had on the cap and polo shirt together with a clip board) ran onto the field and threatened one of the Pius boys, 2 mins later after the ref had calmed things down he ran and started remonstrating with the ref. No one from the SBHS side tried to stop him.

Also there was incident in the last minute of the game which resulted in a Pius boy and the No 8 from SBHS being red carded, ( I didn't see the incident so I have no idea what it was about). As the SBHS No 8 stormed up the pathway in front of the seating he was loudly swearing dropping the "F "bomb, it happens, but no body from SBHS tried to stop him or pull him into line, they all just stood back and watched.

In the main game Shore started strong, looked a class above Pius, Shore seemed to be much quicker around the park and where far more structured in their forwards.
Shore led 7-0 early after a goal line charge down
Pius lifted and came close a couple of times but couldn't get across the line.
Shore hit back with a good back line movement and scored in the corner.
A penalty to Pius on half time had the score 12-3 to Shore.

Pius started the 2nd half strongly and were pushing Shore, however a bit of impatience led to a dropped ball, a turnover and a try to Shore.
19-3
On the back of a couple of penalties Pius scored in the corner from some good forward drives.
19-8
Again another Pius turnover lead to a Shore try, converted 26-8.

Again after a couple of penalties Pius were able to put some pressure on the shore defence, which resulted in a penalty in front of the sticks about 10 mtrs out. Pius opted for the scrum and the no 8 took the ball from the back, beat a couple of tackles and scored under the posts.
Converted and the score was 26-15.
After a bit of kick and chase from both sides the Shore no 9 put a lovely kick over the top for the Shore player no 2 to charge on to it and score wide out.
Converted 33-15.
Full time
Pius held there own for a lot of the game, they just couldn't convert pressure to points and then conceded a couple of tries from turnovers.
For Pius, Ben Murphy No 1 at prop was strong with Pius scrum holding together ok.
The new no 9 and 10 combo for Pius was much better with Fraser Toohey playing at 12 and had a good game.
I think however when Pius get a couple of their backs back from injury you will see Toohey back at Full back.
For Shore they were good right across the park, their No 15 was particularly dangerous returning any wayward kicks. In one instance his strong kick return led to a try.

Whale berry

Larry Dwyer (12)
I recognise many of the names on that list, and most have featured in ISA U16 or ISA I or ISA II previously. It looks like it is arranged alphabetically in School Groups, so here goes my guess as to where the lads listed above have come from:

St Augustines
Afu, Faatui, Fontaine, Halaifonau, J Lough, L Lough, Marr, McRae, Nettleton, O'Toole, J Thomas. J Walker

Kinross Wolaroi
Holder, Robinson, C Walker, Yeomans

St Andrews
Adcock, Moore

Oakhill College
Anderson, Day, Goddard, Graham, Partridge, Robson,

St Stanislaus
Burns, Donato, Marks, Oxley (not College (?), must be Stannies based on the 6 reps above), Taylor, S Thomas

St Gregory's
Anetelea, Faavae-Eli, Masima, Vaohea

St Pius
Toohey

St Patricks Strathfield
Cilona, James, Norah

Anyone have the Under 16 List?

I may have a lash at grouping the above names in positions based on various U16 and opens programmes I have, but there are a few names I may need some assistance on.

The word at Oxford Falls on Saturday was that Fraser Toohey and Alex Ironside had been selected in the ISA squad.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
There was a bit of push and shove going on near the sideline and the SBHS "manager" (he had on the cap and polo shirt together with a clip board) ran onto the field and threatened one of the Pius boys, 2 mins later after the ref had calmed things down he ran and started remonstrating with the ref. No one from the SBHS side tried to stop him.

Red hair?

Status
Not open for further replies.