• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

ITA v CAN

Status
Not open for further replies.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Bingo! Exactly the problem. Imho, and also a result of a fractured provincial system. Canada rugby needs a complete overhaul in the administration.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I counted 12 that have been on the circuit in the last 2 years. Incredible.

badabing59

Cyril Towers (30)
I counted 12 that have been on the circuit in the last 2 years. Incredible.
I realise that Canada doesn't have a huge reservoir of players but surely there are enough decent players to make up stand alone 7s and 15s squads

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Welll in some ways having all those Canadian 7's means we got to watch some great attacking rugby from canadian backline...

Great game to watch for that reason......unlucky to lose that one but great game.....happy to watch canadians play sides like italy as they can really threaten other teams outside of top 8 with that sort of play...

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
I wish I could say I watched that game and enjoyed the even nature of the contest.

I can't.

Canada did some electric things. Maybe scored the try of the tournament.

However the amount of turnovers was farcical.

The lack of basic back-line skills meant it was impossible to build momentum.

Seriously how hard is it to teach basic catch and pass skills?

On top of it all, the referring was completely inept.

So this is how centerpiece? Oh boy.

Don't know I looked at a minnow who almost beat italy and lot of nice attacking entertaining rugby which most would have enjoyed...commentators seem to agree with me as welll...

Each to their own but backline play by canadian was joy to watch at times...for a side that sits out of top 10...

Just continues to reinforce my view that Italy have really not progressed as rugby playing nation since joining 6 nations whilst other teams around them have e.g. Argentina, Georgia etc

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Fucking good performance by the Canucks, though it must be said the Eyeties are flat as fuck this RWC.

Rugby League / Soccer ground cutting up badly though.

A few of the Tier 2 nations seem to know how to get channel 1 ball.

Not just that, but Fiji in particular have impressed, along with Japan, USA, and Canada at scrum time. Thing about the Fijians is they've always had the strength, but never bothered applying it as a unit.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Just continues to reinforce my view that Italy have really not progressed as rugby playing nation since joining 6 nations whilst other teams around them have e.g. Argentina, Georgia etc

I don't think that's entirely accurate........

Italy did progress after joining the Six Nations, but in recent years have been on the decline............

I think it's fair to consider it an upset that Italy didn't advance to the QF's in 2007 ahead of Scotland after finishing 4th in the 6N..........

Both Italy and Argentina were probably at their peak in that year, and while both teams had a decline directly afterwards, Italy for whatever reason has not been able to replace many of their previous stars and lift their game like Argentina has.........

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
I don't think that's entirely accurate....

Italy did progress after joining the Six Nations, but in recent years have been on the decline....

I think it's fair to consider it an upset that Italy didn't advance to the QF's in 2007 ahead of Scotland after finishing 4th in the 6N....

Both Italy and Argentina were probably at their peak in that year, and while both teams had a decline directly afterwards, Italy for whatever reason has not been able to replace many of their previous stars and lift their game like Argentina has...

From memory I think Italy have only ever won one game away from home in 6 nations and that was against Scotland who were very ordinary at that time where in comparison bit stronger today.....Actually sure it was when they came 4th that year in 2007....I think they also beat Wales at home....to get 2 wins....or at least remember them beating Wales once as only team outside of Scotland in 6 nations they have beaten.

In fact been battle for them for wooden spoon with Scotland who for many years have not been great....what not seen equally is their two club sides involved in celtic league perform not really improve since they joined that competition in 2010 or in Heinkin cup....reflection that italian rugby has not seem to have made much improvement since joining...

Yes Argentina come on leaps and bounds - and see them in years to come threatening top 4 status.....

Georgia are imo are a better side than Italy and would love to see them in 6 nations.

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
Italy have beaten the French twice I think.

As for us, well, our system bottom up has simply been nothing short of shocking since the advent of professionalism. With realists at the helm, and the fact we actually have some money for once, we're on the right track to fixing the mistakes we made 10-20 years ago.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Italy have beaten the French twice I think.

As for us, well, our system bottom up has simply been nothing short of shocking since the advent of professionalism. With realists at the helm, and the fact we actually have some money for once, we're on the right track to fixing the mistakes we made 10-20 years ago.

You are right highlander as just did a quick google search and the Italians did indeed beat French twice in 6 nations...both at home in Rome...first in 2011 where they won 22-21 and in 2013 where won 23-18 - they are a fortress at home and do get some decent crowds....just not seem to have translated into improving rugby at grass roots level to get next generation of great italian rugby players - not sure why.....

Yes Scotland when through dark patch when 3rd provincial side collapsed or something financially just leaving Glasgow and Edinborough in Celtic League and automatic Heinkin Cup qualification.....can't recall name of third side that went under....but was pretty dire time I seem to recalll...

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
Border Rievers. Best rugby area in the Country. But just couldn't get the support together. Hawick, Melrose, Selkirk etc. just didn't travel to support games. Far too parochial.

Status
Not open for further replies.