• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Jake White Quits Brumbies

Status
Not open for further replies.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
The thing is these walkouts are not nearly that prevalent put up against the actual number of players and coaches currently on contracts.

It's also important that if someone truly no longer wants to be with a club to leave so that the club may move forward and not stagnate through apathy.

There is no emergency, the current system is not suddenly broken because Jake wants to go home. There are working models of this type of contraction and franchise structure in many codes of sport all over the world.

This is a really good point.

Making contracts for one year only would be trying to fix a problem that happens rarely whilst creating a major issue for everyone every single year.

Now single year Wallaby player contracts is something I would support. I don't agree with multiple year contracts for what is essentially a representative team. It creates a conflict of interest between selecting purely on form and selecting contracted players because you're already paying them.

With the current state of ARU finances, paying players who aren't playing seems like a terrible idea.

mudskipper

Colin Windon (37)
I'd just like to thank Jake White for making a differeence at the Brumbies over the past 2 years when it was needed... AND I wish him all the best returnig to his family in SA...

He has left a strong group to continue building from, with 2 fine coaches in Bernie and Lord Laurie, and an excellent group of players... brumbies are in a good place thatnks to Jake... White has done an outstanding job...

D

daz

daz

The thing is these walkouts are not nearly that prevalent put up against the actual number of players and coaches currently on contracts.

It's also important that if someone truly no longer wants to be with a club to leave so that the club may move forward and not stagnate through apathy.

There is no emergency, the current system is not suddenly broken because Jake wants to go home. There are working models of this type of contraction and franchise structure in many codes of sport all over the world.

I was merely playing devils advocate. I am not wedded to either view, but while I agree that situations like this are the exception rather than the rule, I do think the current contractual system could do with some tweaking.

If a bloke wants to leave, then let him leave. However, I do think that the timing of those decisions is pretty important. In the post above, Mowen says of Jake "He always does things with a lot of judgement and thought. He never rushes into anything"

If that is true, walking out 2 weeks before pre-season seems a bit odd, and places enormous pressure on the Brumbies as an organisation to fill the role quickly. Sure, Bernie and Laurie could run pre-season, but is there time for the new coach to plan recruitment? Review the list? Or will he be stuck with the cattle he is inheriting just like Foley and Cheika?

Surely the system can be improved. That is the point I am making. How the system is improved though, is absolutely debatable.

No4918

John Hipwell (52)
Seriously believe it's home sickness, given how often he's over in RSA. As stated earlier the Wallabies job would have given him more time to be there as well.

Not sure about this part. As Wallabies coach he is expected to watch a lot of Super Rugby live which would mostly be in Aus. And the Wallabies spend about a week there a year. Super Rugby coaches get 2 weeks and a long off season to go home.

No4918

John Hipwell (52)
That article suggests family was the key. A 17yo son and spending so much time away from home would not be easy. McKenzie did it for 4 years from Brisbane and I think would have been lost to the Reds regardless of getting the Wallabies job for family reasons.

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
Keypoints noted by Brett McKay from The Roar after a phonecall with Brumbies CEO Andrew Fagan last night:

• Jake White feels as though his pathways to coaching at international level are now effectively blocked in Australia;​
• White and his wife missed their sons incredibly, and the lengthy time at home with the boys since the end of the Super Rugby season has only compounded that;​
• White feels as though he’s done what he can with the Brumbies, and that he’s not needed for the club to go and achieve the success it now deserves;​
• Ben Mowen met with White in Cape Town on Wednesday, to try and talk him out of leaving, but once White’s reasons became evident, Mowen is comfortable and respectful of the decision;​
• Board and sponsors comfortable with reasoning, confident the club is well equipped to build on White’s platform;​
• Future of the club looking very healthy with both White’s groundwork, and the $30M development of the old HQ site ready to commence;​
• Board will make a decision on Head Coach role, but Stephen Larkham and Laurie Fisher described as “head coaches in waiting”. Larkham the frontrunner; one more coach to be appointed, probably to fill in behind. George Gregan would have to come into calculations (in my opinion) for an assistant role, having now resigned his ARU board position;​
• Club knows the reality of the international market of professional coaches, and didn’t want to hold White to remaining two years if he’s heart wasn’t going to be in it. No point him being in Canberra if he doesn’t want to be here;​
• Will be comfortable with White coaching in Super Rugby in 2014, if that eventuates. “That’s his prerogative”;​
• Playing group spread all over the world currently, communication difficult, but all accepting and understanding of White’s decision;​
• No get-out clauses in playing or coaching staff contracts;​
• Only one or two full squad positions to be filled, plus a few EPS spots left;​

mark_s

Chilla Wilson (44)
Jeez, I think thats nailed it from almost every angle. HArd to argue the situation (while unforseen and difficult) hasnt been well managed by all involved.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
The thing is,would the Brumbies want him therefor the next 2 years if he was not emotionally engaged?
There is a huge difference in fulfilling contractual obligations,and putting your heart and soul into the job.Results generally reflect this engagement.

Spot on ILTW. A disgruntled employee forced to serve out their contract can do an awful lot of damage to the organisation if their heart isn't in it.

If the guy wants to go, then let him go, no bonuses, thanks for what you have done so far, and shut the door on your way out.

Shiggins

Simon Poidevin (60)
At least he has left a great foundation for fisher or Berny. Jake did the impossible with the brumbies and turned a team in seriouse trouble into a super rugby finals contender. I somehow don't think this will affect the province that much.

A mutterer

Chilla Wilson (44)
I'm disappointed for the brumbies but he has certainly achieved quite a lot in the first 2 years of his tenure. Good luck to him.

I'm more concerned about the purported actions of ARU officials and their approach and management which is a far more serious issue.

Ignoto

Greg Davis (50)
Keypoints noted by Brett McKay from The Roar after a phonecall with Brumbies CEO Andrew Fagan last night:

• Jake White feels as though his pathways to coaching at international level are now effectively blocked in Australia;​

I don't understand how his line of thinking here at all. More importantly, where does his self-entitlement to coaching Australia's top team come from? Was this his plan all along? Coach the Brumbies and no matter what be shuffled into the head honcho roll because O'Neill promised him?

All his other points are fine and are a perfect reason to move on. However, if he truly believes the door on him coaching the Wallabies has all but closed, then I don't think I want a guy coaching our time who gives up so easily. Plus, if he was so deadset on coaching the Wallabies, what did in imagine the impact would have on his family?

He signed a contract until 2015, so if Link fails at the WC, there could be a real chance the ARU will look to change coaches etc, so surely you'd back yourself to see out your contract and make yourself available, if you were THAT keen on coaching the Wallabies.

Bowside

Peter Johnson (47)
Could not disagree more with all the points raised here.
There was talk about White getting a citizenship to coach the Wobs - by whom? hearsay. Last thing you can say about Jake is that he is not honest.

He's demonstrated that he was not here for the right reasons? Wake up, this is professional rugby, we've put up with Dingo for 5 years only because the ARU thought we could win everything with him. If White was coaching the Tahs he would be coaching the Wobs today.

The fact that he's leaving Australia validates the ARU decision to pick Ewan? How? Is hanging around for years accepting the ARU games and warped politics the key requirement to coach the Wallabies, or is coaching competence more important? Cheika had not even started coaching the Tahs and the media was already calling for him to coach the Wobs.

I knew White would leave the moment the ARU overlookes him for the job, after having sought his interest in the job months before. I understand his desire to return to RSA to stay closer to his sons - I would probably do the same! and I thank him for the great work he did for us. And wish him the best of luck.

All talk about the varius coaches to replace him are a pie in the sky. It will be Larkham or Fisher. This is the Brumbies. And the Brumbies are a lot stronger than someone would like to believe.

I think my original post is party moot, as we now know family reasons played a large role, but nonetheless I thought it proper to reply.

The first point about citizenship was talked about in the press a month or so ago. The gist of the article was: White is considering applying for australian citizenship and living here on a long term basis, still wants to coach the wallabies. Which I thought was admirable.

But evidently that's not the case.

I still think events validate the ARU's decision. White would have had family pressure weather he was coaching the Brumbies or the Wallabies.

Happy

Alex Ross (28)
Lost in the mists of time, but what was the go with Lord Laurie leaving the Ponies in the first place?
Laurie took over in 2005 after the Brumbies won the comp in 2004. It started well, but then they had a lot of injuries and ended up finishing 5th, just out of the finals.

In 2006 they finished 6th, but had more wins than both the 4th and 5th placegetters, who ended up above them on the table thanks to the Brumbies' lack of bonus points.

In 2007 they finished 5th, and once again had more wins than the 3rd placed team, but missed out on the finals on bonus points.

In 2008 they finished 9th, their worst result for many years. That was the end of Laurie's 4 year contract. He didn't get a new contract, and Adam Friend was given the job (which turned out to be a disaster).

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
Jake has clearly decided to put his family first and that's totally understandable. The fact that he took the time to talk to the Brumbies players on tour in a relaxed environment says a lot about the class of the guy. I thought Mowen's comments were excellent too. Maybe he should be our full time captain.

Blake

Ted Fahey (11)
I don't understand how his line of thinking here at all. More importantly, where does his self-entitlement to coaching Australia's top team come from? Was this his plan all along? Coach the Brumbies and no matter what be shuffled into the head honcho roll because O'Neill promised him?

All his other points are fine and are a perfect reason to move on. However, if he truly believes the door on him coaching the Wallabies has all but closed, then I don't think I want a guy coaching our time who gives up so easily. Plus, if he was so deadset on coaching the Wallabies, what did in imagine the impact would have on his family?

He signed a contract until 2015, so if Link fails at the WC, there could be a real chance the ARU will look to change coaches etc, so surely you'd back yourself to see out your contract and make yourself available, if you were THAT keen on coaching the Wallabies.

Yeah they are fair points, everything is hearsay at the moment.

Greg Growden (yeah I know) claims that -

He was promised the Job by Senior ARU member,
That White and the ARU have not gotten along since Link was appointed and that he has been told by the ARU that he has
"spoilt any chance he had of ever coaching the Wallabies"

My take on it all (read - my guess) is that he is both homesick and not getting along with the ARU; leading him to take another job offer.

Status
Not open for further replies.