• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

James O'Connor #12, Rob Horne #13?

Status
Not open for further replies.

rigs23

Allen Oxlade (6)
Whilst most of the backline is very stable selection wise, the centres have been the subject of alot of debate. My ideal centres combo would be JOC (James O'Connor) and Horney in inside and outside respectively, but i would like to hear other peoples opinions on it. To me Mcabe just isnt international material. Even though its great to see an inside centre hitting up straight and hard i still dont think he has the distribution skills essential to opening up the outside backs. It can be argued that this is the flyhalf's job but i believe you need both to do this, hence why i like the idea of Bieber in #12. Thoughts?

Riptide

Dave Cowper (27)
There is not a chance in hell of blooding an entirely new center midfield combination before the WC and have any real confidence in it. In Test rugby, any hesitancy or indecision is exploited and with only one match left after the Boks against NZ before the WC kicks off against NZ, there is no time to develop and test a new midfield pairing.

Horne may be the long-term solution at 13 given his prodigious talents and if he could ever stay healthy for more than a few matches.

Groucho

Greg Davis (50)
I've been saying for two years that this would be the long-term Wallaby centre pairing, but this RWC is too soon. It might have happened has Horne been fit.

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
Surely for the RWC JOC (James O'Connor) or BB at 12 inside AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) is the way to go.
McCabe and Horne(if selected) can play a couple of pool games or warm the bench.

I hope we see JOC (James O'Connor) get some time at 12 this weekend.

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
Do you seriously think a new combination will be trialed two games out from the World Cup, one of the gusy returning from injury?

I think not.

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
It's not as if McCabe is not new to the position.
BB & Gits know the position at this level well and JOC (James O'Connor) is in tune with the requirements also.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
No hope of this being tested until maybe next year

Our centres will be McCabe & AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) this year unless someone is wounded in all major games, I expect their back up to come out of Faainga, Barnes & Horne (maybe?) in the RWC

DPK

Peter Sullivan (51)
I'm actually starting to hate the effects of the RWC. Rugby is now based on 4 year cycles, with some players not getting their chance until after a RWC and older players hanging on to go to the tournament.

Plus, for four years, whoever wins this year will be the "World Champion" no matter how shit they play. I can't believe the Wallabies were saying they beat "the World Champions" in Sydney like it meant something.

[/rant]

Scotty

David Codey (61)
I think that McCabe or AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) will definitely be one of the centres, with the only options to come in being Barnes and Fa'ainga.

I wonder if Barnes gets a shot off the bench or even starting vs the ABs?

Richo

John Thornett (49)
I think that McCabe or AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) will definitely be one of the centres, with the only options to come in being Barnes and Fa'ainga.

I wonder if Barnes gets a shot off the bench or even starting vs the ABs?

I bloody well hope so.

chequebalance

Bill Watson (15)
I think something will have to be done with JOC (James O'Connor) if Mitchell is back fit. He is too good to not be on the field but so are Digby and JOC (James O'Connor). It will stay how it is if The Rooster doesn't get back to full fitness though.

EVERYFWDTHINKTHEYREA6OR7

Syd Malcolm (24)
I'm actually starting to hate the effects of the RWC. Rugby is now based on 4 year cycles, with some players not getting their chance until after a RWC and older players hanging on to go to the tournament.

Plus, for four years, whoever wins this year will be the "World Champion" no matter how shit they play. I can't believe the Wallabies were saying they beat "the World Champions" in Sydney like it meant something.

[/rant]

I disagree. I love reminding Kiwi's that they are the best team 99% of the time and that they were world champs for only a short period between 1987 and 1990.

Joe Mac

Arch Winning (36)
I love that centre combniation and I think if Schmoo is back and fit Deans will have to try it out. Mitchell is a much better winger than JOC (James O'Connor) and JOC (James O'Connor) is a much better 12 than, well, anyone we have (except maybe a confident Barnes). Horne fit at 3 would be perfect because of the utility player AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) is, he can come on to the field and cover every position in the backline bar 10/12...

Screw testing something this close to the WC, thats what the pool matches are for (bar Ireland)...

S120

Chris McKivat (8)
No chance of changing JOC (James O'Connor) to 12 before the RWC now. It may happen during the RWC if we have a huge amount of injuries and JOC (James O'Connor) is forced to play 12 but we won't see it before the comp.

Would love to see JOC (James O'Connor) given time at 12 over the next few years in order to get ready for the the '15 RWC but even then he'd have to beat out Barnes for that spot (given Quade stays in rugby during that period).

Horne just has to stay on the field for an extended period of time. He has talent undoubtedly and at full fitness I'd really consider selecting him there over AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper), but his injury count is ridiculous. Until he proves he can play S15 rugby consistently without his body failing him, he won't have a consistent spot at 13 for the Wallabies methinks.

farva

Vay Wilson (31)
Our major competitors are heading towards larger centres who will hit the line hard (Nonu, SBW, Fourie, Olivier, etc).
And with the selection of McCabe and AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper), Deans is going down a similar line. based on the other backline talent we have, I dont think that is a bad idea. We have the fleet footed guys like Beale, OConnor and Cooper feeding the bigger guys.

But I think that if with the way the Wallabies play, a centre pairing of OConnor and Horne, in the long run, could be quite useful, and will provide a point of difference. Both players are defensively sound, so I have no issue with the bigger guys running at them.
But they will be able to get the ball out to our very quick outside backs to allow them to use that pace and space created. Plus they will keep the opposition defensive line second guessing as both of these guys can break the line quite well. This will allow more space for our wings to use as the opposition centres and wings are wary of what our centres can do.

But it wont happen for the World Cup.
And Horne has to prove that he is up to test level. He has barely made much of an impact at super level yet, other than show he has a lot of potential.

U

Uncle Pete

Long term O'Connor is too small to play there in the way we play ICs. McCabe is just big enough. Horne is getting to a stage at which his injuries are making it impossible to pick him.

Groucho

Greg Davis (50)
Our major competitors are heading towards larger centres who will hit the line hard (Nonu, SBW, Fourie, Olivier, etc).
And with the selection of McCabe and AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper), Deans is going down a similar line. based on the other backline talent we have, I dont think that is a bad idea. We have the fleet footed guys like Beale, OConnor and Cooper feeding the bigger guys.

But I think that if with the way the Wallabies play, a centre pairing of OConnor and Horne, in the long run, could be quite useful, and will provide a point of difference. Both players are defensively sound, so I have no issue with the bigger guys running at them.
But they will be able to get the ball out to our very quick outside backs to allow them to use that pace and space created. Plus they will keep the opposition defensive line second guessing as both of these guys can break the line quite well. This will allow more space for our wings to use as the opposition centres and wings are wary of what our centres can do.

But it wont happen for the World Cup.
And Horne has to prove that he is up to test level. He has barely made much of an impact at super level yet, other than show he has a lot of potential.

Maybe we need some bigger blokes. If Tuqiri and Sailor were playing now we might have a better use for them. Sailor would make a great blockbusting 12 in the modern game.

REDinCPT

Sydney Middleton (9)
if mitchell returns i'd like to see digby moved to 13, AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) to the bench and horses for courses @12 with barnes or faainga/mccabe

Mr Doug

Dick Tooth (41)
Hey Groucho...speaking of big centres and Mungos, I turned up to watch the first grade match of my local rugby club here on the Gold Coast a few years ago and saw this bloody big #12 bursting through the opposing backline with ease! " Who the hell's that", I asked......to be told, "oh, that's Kurt Sorensen"!!

mark_s

Chilla Wilson (44)
Hey Groucho...speaking of big centres and Mungos, I turned up to watch the first grade match of my local rugby club here on the Gold Coast a few years ago and saw this bloody big #12 bursting through the opposing backline with ease! " Who the hell's that", I asked......to be told, "oh, that's Kurt Sorensen"!!
In completely unrelated and probably uninteresting news, Dane Sorenson is a local builder in the sutherland shire in sydney and is currently running for the Sharks (NRL) board.

Status
Not open for further replies.