• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Japanese Rugby, the real elephant in the room?

Status
Not open for further replies.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
That's right! The Japanese thread symbol has finally been used again! But onto what I wanted to discuss.

Japanese RFU is a union that has money and is showing improved performances on the field (through IRB Pacific Nations Cup).
Improved performances? Australia was playing Japan in full Test matches 30 odd years ago. They were crap then, and they are crap now.

[*]They, unlike the Pacific Islands, develop the majority of their national talent locally. .

With all due respect, that is a really stupid assertion. Pacific Islander kids are far more developed at home in rugby than Japanese kids are. Yes, it is true, quite a lot of the better PI players emigrate FOR ECONOMIC REASONS-not for rugby development reasons.

Epi

Dave Cowper (27)
Weird thing is it's almost impossible to get any information about their 'top league'. Granted the local sites would be in kanji but I cant even find a table...

Langthorne

Phil Hardcastle (33)
I'd love to see Japan become a top teir rugby nation, but creating franchises for a super 17/18/19/20 is not the answer.

Just as I'd like to see the ARC revived as an end of season competition for the top Aussie clubs, I could see a regional competition that includes the top Japanese clubs. In both cases, the club game is not disrupted and hybrid 'created' teams are avoided.

RugbyFuture

Lord Logo
the best answer would be to see japan develop their proffesional tier independantly, then help spur on competition in the asian region with china, korea, kazhakstan and indonesia

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
Sri Lanka are the next likely to do anything in Asia. Rugby is quite popular there and the local Union is serious about its development. As for your list RF. China has potential but is a long way off. Korea is a basket case and haven't experienced any real growth in a decade. Solidly accounted for but HK in this years A5N's. They are on a slide in the wrong direction. Kazakstan could improve but I can see them looking more to Russia as there are rumblings of a Almaty based team entering the RPRL. As for Indonesia, they are really in their infancy in developing the game. It almost disappeared from the country outside of ex-pats but has re-emerged of late. Still a very,very long way off.

Of the Asian nations that hold the greatest potential and actually showing it via results are;

Sri Lanka - Second largest player pool of the Asian nations behind Japan and have a very ambitious Union. They intiated plans this year to effectively grow their participation four fold in the next 4 years. Even if they only achieve 50% of that target its pretty impressive. They have their on well attended national competition in the Caltex League and through this intiative not only do they plan to boost schools participation but club and there league structures.

Malaysia - 40,000 players. Most being locals. Certainly have the potential to move into the premier division.

India - The game is growing rapidly on the sub-continent. As demonstrated at the Delhi games they can compete given time at the very least in the Asian region.

Iran - Their improvement has been impressive as is their growth. I expect them to once again see them progress up the divisions next season. Won the A5Ns 2nd (third tier) this season and should keep on moving up.

Pakistan are also growing nicely.

As for Japan. Their best option is to continue building on their Top League. There has been a slight (5%) growth in attendance this season. They need to continue this as well as building on their player base.

RugbyFuture

Lord Logo
those were just four i could see being effected by a strong japanese game. considering the competitive nature between china and japan, and japan and korea, and korea and china and indonesia and china.

Im interested as I just recieved a response from expo meija regarding helping out with the Australasian Rugby Association. We'll see what happens.

I can still dream of my eligibility for hong kong and china.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
those were just four i could see being effected by a strong japanese game. considering the competitive nature between china and japan, and japan and korea, and korea and china and indonesia and china.

Im interested as I just recieved a response from expo meija regarding helping out with the Australasian Rugby Association. We'll see what happens.

I can still dream of my eligibility for hong kong and china.

There are a few Korean professionals in Japan actually. China is some time off having player's eligible. Though there was one guy who the European clubs were looking at. THere are a number of Kazaks in the RPRL. Indonesia remain pretty much as I first said.

I would personally like to see the IRB invest in a Asian Super Rugby tournament using teams from Hong Kong, Singapore, Thailand, Malaysia and at the very least Sri Lanka with India being another option. I would also like to see the Darwin Mozzies get a run in such a competition.

Status
Not open for further replies.