• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Japanese Top League - Now showing on Stan!

Dismal Pillock

Simon Poidevin (60)
Several Australian based player agents are now fully focussed on finding fringe Super level players and shipping them off to Japan, as uncapped internationals they can play without restrictions. I saw last week another Brisbane based company just announced a Japanese base of operations.

It’ll get worse before it gets better.

The whole thing is so bloody stupid.

For a big match they might get a couple of thousand spectators at a tinpot rec centre dustbowl. In a country of 140 million people. God knows what attendance is at the next leagues down where Genia and Quade are. Maybe just the kids mums and dads.

And yet theyre all on a million a year.

Pro rugby has such a tiny impact on the national consciousness. The niche of a niche. Never seen schoolkids biffing a ball around at lunchtime. Or wearing a team jersey. And yet Japan are harvesting the world's players like it's 1933 and they're gathering their forces to resume the push through fucking Burma.

tl/dr Fuck Japan.

PhilClinton

John Hipwell (52)

Yeh I feel like it’s a bit of a who’s got the biggest swinging dick type league, all the company names and branding linked to the teams, getting the big name internationals to do press and promo work.

In saying that, in Dismal’s point. Yes there are only a couple of true fans. But geez they are passionate. And the third grade comp probably gets more to a game than the Tahs v Reds did last night.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Yeh I feel like it’s a bit of a who’s got the biggest swinging dick type league, all the company names and branding linked to the teams, getting the big name internationals to do press and promo work.

In saying that, in Dismal’s point. Yes there are only a couple of true fans. But geez they are passionate. And the third grade comp probably gets more to a game than the Tahs v Reds did last night.
Hard not to be disenfranchised with the Tahs, lets be honest.

Plus we have the luxury of flicking over to the league - which has been pretty good so far this year.

liquor box

Greg Davis (50)
SM-Black-Rams-Insta-02jpg.jpg

I watched the Black Rams v Eagles match on the weekend.

Pretty impressed with what I saw, especially Isaac Lucas playing 10 for the Black Rams, Matt McGahon was played well.

I also think the Black Rams have the best Rugby Jersey I have seen.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Mitsubishi a man down & trailing Honda 0-31 barely into the second half & Willie Lose thinks their body language suggests they may be in trouble........ smh whilst roflmao

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
The players are good, and skillful but gee the intensity is low and the defence is wobbly. I just don't find it compelling viewing

There's a definite gap between the top 6 and the rest. Which makes for some very lopsided games and viewing experiences. But when those top 6 teams meet. It's good.

Dismal Pillock

Simon Poidevin (60)
I just don't find it compelling viewing
Yeah I'd gladly go without it. There's no glamour to it. Or history. Or anything. Just silent random arenas, shitty facilities and a few star gaijin doing the "I really wanted to experience a different culture" cashgrab.

The refs shit me blind. They're like friendly schoolmasters who want to be pals with all the star students and they NEVER shut up. For starters, EVERY single scrum is a 3-minute United Nations Power Summit. First, the smiling ref issues a lengthy treatise as to what he wants from the front rows, then the pugs have a chat to each other, of course replete with geometric hand gesticulations, then finally we set..... no, no, reset. Never a free kick, never a penalty, always a reset. Start the whole process again.

"Japan rugby is so fast". That's cos the fat cnuts have a 4 minute break every time some cnut drops the ball. I watched some game the other week and the ref tweeted for the first scrum only 30 seconds into the match..... the ball didnt clear that scrum until the 5th minute. NOTHING happened. Silent stadium. Just reset after reset and the requisite power summits chaired by the mouthy front-row geophysicists. God knows what people new to the game make of it.
"Has the game even started?"
"These must still be the pre-match warmup drills".

Dismal Pillock

Simon Poidevin (60)
Looks like Quade/Genia Kintetsu promotion/relegation (?) match about to start.

*edit, Kintestsu got there in the end but made hard work of it. It was Sanix ffs. They get pumped for 70 every weekend by one of the top 4.

wft are the Kintetsu organisation doing. Outside the front row, their team has NO Japanese players. All gaijin ring-ins and mercenaries. Quade/Genia blathering on in the press about "growing the game in Japan", wft is that all about.

Dismal Pillock

Simon Poidevin (60)
https://www.nzherald.co.nz/sport/su...asman-competition/XLUQFKLD4LC4IZHRJYQWZ4NH6M/

This is fucking lame. Japan Rugby click their fingers and NZ Rugby say yes massa, how high? Tony Brown is contracted to the NZRFU to coach the Highlanders of New Zealand. Not to leave his team in the lurch and fuck off midseason for some OTHER test rugby country's fucking training camp. Fuck Japan and fuck their $$$$$$$$$$$$.

I couldnt give a shit how "historic" this match is for Japan and their brazenly and idiotically galling "3 local props and 12 mercenary gaijin guns4hire" sham of a national rugby team. ALL MATCHES FOR NEW ZEALAND RUGBY TEAMS ARE HISTORIC U CNUTS. SAY YES TO NEW ZEALAND.

Dismal Pillock

Simon Poidevin (60)
LOL defending champ Kobe RetalliCrudenBenSmiths dumped out in quarters by Kubota Marxes. And thats with 14 after Foley got RC'ed in 27th minute

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
LOL defending champ Kobe RetalliCrudenBenSmiths dumped out in quarters by Kubota Marxes. And thats with 14 after Foley got RC'ed in 27th minute

Foley was on fire early in the game and the 17-nil lead that Kubota got out to was certainly the difference in the game.

Shame he'll now miss the semi final and final if they make it.

Dismal Pillock

Simon Poidevin (60)
2021 Final

Suntory
vs
Panasonic

Lol, wasnt even going to bother watching this, another 70pt stroll in the park for the Suntory Beaudens.

You wouldn't credit it.....

THEY FUCKING LOST.

LOLL.

Missing both their unstoppable murderstuds Kerevi and Tevita Li. Maybe Li's roid stash got raided. Anyway, that was about 80% of their entire attacking plan out the window.

Call me spiteful but kind of glad Beaudy cotton-wooling himself under his own sticks for an entire AB campaign and Blues season last year didnt pan out for him in the end.