• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Japanese Top League - Now showing on Stan!

hifflepiff

Charlie Fox (21)
Excellent game to watch from a neutral perspective.

Lots of interesting performances for an Australian. Would love to get Tupou and Hockings back in Aus as neither looked out of place in teams stacked with tier 1 caps.

Dylan Riley also looked pretty good at 13 for the Wild Knights. Big, physical outside centre with soft hands.

Sean McMahon was alright but no where near as devastating compared to when he left. Probably good we didn't spend overs to get him back.

In terms of Japanese players, Fukuoka and Nakamura were the stand outs. Devastating for the rugby world that this was Fukuoka's last game before retirement as he still looks to be in World Class form.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
In terms of Japanese players, Fukuoka and Nakamura were the stand outs. Devastating for the rugby world that this was Fukuoka's last game before retirement as he still looks to be in World Class form.

Did not realise he was retiring, talk about leaving on top. The bloke has been incredible.

rodha

Dave Cowper (27)
Excellent game to watch from a neutral perspective.

Dylan Riley also looked pretty good at 13 for the Wild Knights. Big, physical outside centre with soft hands.

Yes, I actually came on here to post about this. Riley was all class yesterday. The recent Reds match really emphasized the consequences of Aussie teams not valuing physicality & size enough. The big Crusaders backs ran over the Reds lightweight midfield and back three like they were nothing. A big, physical centre, who's also excellent defensively is just what the Wallabies need.

Dylan Riley and Samu Kerevi should be near the top of Dave Rennie's bring-back-home list.

hifflepiff

Charlie Fox (21)
Yes, I actually came on here to post about this. Riley was all class yesterday. The recent Reds match really emphasized the consequences of Aussie teams not valuing physicality & size enough. The big Crusaders backs ran over the Reds lightweight midfield and back three like they were nothing. A big, physical centre, who's also excellent defensively is just what the Wallabies need.

Dylan Riley & Samu Kerevi should be near the top of Dave Rennie's bring-back-home list.

Unfortunately it looks like he's declared for Japan. Probably the best option for him, but what a poor miss by Australia's development team considering how few big midfielders we have.

rodha

Dave Cowper (27)
Robbie Deans wins again.

https://www.theroar.com.au/2021/05/23/ex-wallaby-chasing-fourth-top-league-title/#comments-section

Anyone remember the former Wallabies lock Daniel Heenan? He's still going currently at the age of 39.

His long-time coach, former Wallabies mentor Robbie Deans, is urging Heenan to go around again in 2022.

“It's a running joke with Robbie: ‘another year, another year..’ Heenan said.

“Robbie's been a part of Panasonic ever since I've been here. I trust Robbie as much off the field as I do on it and it's no surprise that he has success wherever he goes."

“He hates to lose at an anything – even cards – but I love that about him. He's so competitive and it's infectious.”

Heenan, though, accepts all good things must come to an end and is treating Sunday's final as his likely farewell appearance.

“At 39, I’ve got to look at life after footy but you never know,” he said.

“My body's still hanging in there but there's a strong percentage that it could be (my last game). I've got to treat every game like it's my last.”

Rebels3

Jim Lenehan (48)
Rebels could do worse than use their close links to La Trobe university and see if they can offer Fukuoka a study and play deal to replace Marika

rodha

Dave Cowper (27)
https://7news.com.au/sport/rugby-union/three-aussies-named-in-japan-rugby-squad-c-2918978

Bloody hell.. Robbie Deans on a seemingly spiteful vengeful mission is unapologetically gutting Australian rugby & his former Wallabies of more of their potential prospects increasingly season after season!

Ben Gunter & Jack Cornelsen from Panasonic Wild Knights were just named in Japan's today.

That's without mentioning the other 7-8 Australian players in the Wild Knight's squad currently.

Jimmy_Crouch

Ken Catchpole (46)
https://7news.com.au/sport/rugby-union/three-aussies-named-in-japan-rugby-squad-c-2918978

Bloody hell.. Robbie Deans on a seemingly spiteful vengeful mission is unapologetically gutting Australian rugby & his former Wallabies of more of their potential prospects increasingly season after season!

Ben Gunter & Jack Cornelsen from Panasonic Wild Knights were just named in Japan's today.

That's without mentioning the other 7-8 Australian players in the Wild Knight's squad currently.

None of those blokes at the time could crack a super gig in Australia. Good luck to them.

hifflepiff

Charlie Fox (21)
Yeah God knows how Gunter didnt get a contract. He's built like he's been put together by Satan.

Gunter's bloody excellent. Thoroughly outplayed McMahon in the backrow battle.

Big physical backrower that can jump and is great over the ball. Sounds like someone a lot of the Aus Super teams could use atm.

upthereds#!

Ken Catchpole (46)
Backrow options of
Gunter: 195cm 120kg
Cornelson: 195cm 110kg
Mafi: 189cm 112kg
Himeno: 187cm 108kg
Labuschagne: 189cm 106kg
Leitch: 189cm 105kg

Bloody solid: Top tier class backrow of
6. Himeno 8. Mafi 7. Leitch then the others shows epic depth.

Plus the 120kg young wrecking ball Tatafu and very experienced openside Ozawa.

PhilClinton

John Hipwell (52)

Does the Japanese national side pay well? Sounds like Gunter was a great shot of playing in Gold if he returned to Australia. I won't pretend to get into the head of these blokes but if your aspiration is to play the highest level footy possible on the international stage, wouldn't you want to play for a top tier team if you're able?

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
Does the Japanese national side pay well? Sounds like Gunter was a great shot of playing in Gold if he returned to Australia. I won't pretend to get into the head of these blokes but if your aspiration is to play the highest level footy possible on the international stage, wouldn't you want to play for a top tier team if you're able?

It's more that he gets to play top tier rugby and still get paid absolute bucket loads from Top League. Compared to maybe cracking the Wallabies, probably not and getting paid peanuts from Super sides.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Because he went to Japan the year after he finished school.

I think it's a fair criticism of our development and recruitment pathways. There are a variety of reasons we have the limitations on recruitment that we do, but that doesn't make it a good thing.

A miss is a miss.

Dismal Pillock

Simon Poidevin (60)
Haha, what a numbskull.

Would be funny if they biffed him in Chuckie Ghosn's detention hole for a coupla years.

Big biz companies like NEC are allergic to press like that and the corporate rugby teams are just addended boutiques of CEO dick-measuring. Wouldnt surprise me at all if they said yeah nah we've ceased rugby operations.

Cheika may as well jog right the fuck on. His name will be completely disgraced, he'd be viewed as little more than a drug dealer to the j-rugby bigwigs now.