• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

JOC (James O'Connor) Gooonne

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
London Irish - The Not Nots.

Not London. Not Irish. I'm sure he would fit in.

Plenty of people in Olde Sydney Towne would love to have a commute from home to the Salt Mines that was as short as 40 minutes.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
JAMES O'Connor says he is defecting to England to escape the "bubble" lifestyle he has in Australia, although he is adamant he wants to be part of the Wallabies' 2015 World Cup campaign.

Read more: http://www.foxsports.com.au/rugby/wallabies/james-oconnor-says-hes-heading-overseas-to-play-rugby-to-escape-australian-bubble/story-e6frf55l-1226745523171#ixzz2ibOjbFb2

This did amuse me 90% of the Aus population wouldn't know who the hell he is (99% in Melbourne) and yet he lives in a bubble. o_O

and going on a well paid working holiday is going to help?

Meh, memo to JOC (James O'Connor), stop acting like a c*nt, take some responsibility for your actions and harden the f*ck up.

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
Let's be realistic about this as well. If the force wanted him they probably could
Of got him. But offering him a report 150k a year on probably a 3 year deal shows that the force only wanted him on their terms.

The situation, as I see it, had he accepted the Force offer was:
  • He qualifies on the continuous play rule for an ARU top-up after next year so to my mind he would only be on $150K for next Super season plus internationals. $150K is about the average Super payment ($5M over 35 players).
  • He would get $12K a game for every test he played and if he performs you'd have to say he'd get around 10 of those, so for one year he'll get $270K plus his money from Suisse and other endorsements.
  • Then he'd be back at the ARU for a top-up the following year. If his form was good he would be going to get it.
Conclusion: $150K a year from the Force was not a bad offer at all, given the risks they were taking in having him back. For him a total annual income of $300K with his current earnings being restored in the following years is a great deal. We expect pensioners and other welfare beneficiaries to live for more than ten years on that amount of money. So his decision to throw it away for some big bucks overseas says everything about his priorities: "me first and I want it all now!"

JSRF10

Dick Tooth (41)
London Irish - The Not Nots.

Not London. Not Irish. I'm sure he would fit in.

Plenty of people in Olde Sydney Towne would love to have a commute from home to the Salt Mines that was as short as 40 minutes.

The 40 minutes was just the train journey he'll have to factor in tube and buses if he wants to live in the "cool" areas. A guy with his sense of entitlement would be very entertaining during a rush hour tube journey.

GaffaCHinO

Peter Sullivan (51)
The situation, as I see it, had he accepted the Force offer was:
  • He qualifies on the continuous play rule for an ARU top-up after next year so to my mind he would only be on $150K for next Super season plus internationals. $150K is about the average Super payment ($5M over 35 players).
  • He would get $12K a game for every test he played and if he performs you'd have to say he'd get around 10 of those, so for one year he'll get $270K plus his money from Suisse and other endorsements.
  • Then he'd be back at the ARU for a top-up the following year. If his form was good he would be going to get it.
Conclusion: $150K a year from the Force was not a bad offer at all, given the risks they were taking in having him back. For him a total annual income of $300K with his current earnings being restored in the following years is a great deal. We expect pensioners and other welfare beneficiaries to live for more than ten years on that amount of money. So his decision to throw it away for some big bucks overseas says everything about his priorities: "me first and I want it all now!"

your 150K at the Force also doesnt include super match payments which if i rememebr are around 4k per game so another 60 odd grand on top of that.

Cat_A

Arch Winning (36)
The match payments have been scrapped entirely from what I understand as of new contracts for 2014. Much more likely to get a "play four games get a 15K increase, 8 games get a 20K" or similar.

ChargerWA

Mark Loane (55)
"I feel like I've been in a bit of bubble for most of my life since school," O'Connor said.
Return to start of sidebar.
"I know I need to improve as a person. Change is what I need, and this is going to be the right place to do it.
"I've got an opportunity to go away and be in an isolated place, without any support structure, I can't rely on anybody else, I've got to make decisions for myself.
"It is going to be hard but that is what I want, to push my limits so that when I do come back I can be a positive influence.
"I am sure I will be able to work something out in future with the Western Force and the ARU.
"I want to be part of the World Cup, 100 per cent."

Read more: http://www.foxsports.com.au/rugby/wallabies/james-oconnor-says-hes-heading-overseas-to-play-rugby-to-escape-australian-bubble/story-e6frf55l-1226745523171#ixzz2icD4fQ31

I dont have a problem with this statement at all. He stated that he was in a personal bubble since high school, which is most likely correct. Being told your the best thing since you were 16 will most likely have an effect on the person you become.

I still think he has an A type personality and will struggle on a personal level where ever he goes, but at 23 there is still hope for him and I hope he comes back and makes Australian Rugby stronger.

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
I think that a short contract in Europe is mainly due to his depressed market value, particularly as most teams have already full squads.

A one season contract, during which he can negotiate for higher pay elsewhere. If he can't negotiatie a Wallabies top up for 2015 but can negotiate a fat Euro paycheck, you can bet he won't be back.

JOC (James O'Connor)'s bubble was of his own making.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
<snip>

JOC (James O'Connor)'s bubble was of his own making.

While he may have established the bubble, I reckon that the bubble has also been fed and sustained by a series of sycophants, some keen to bathe in reflected glory, and some who have profited from a business relationship with the Brand.

IIRC when I was 23, back in the day, I probably had a fairly inflated view of my own importance, however I wasn't earning the equivalent of the PM of the country at that time. That simple fact probably tended to keep me and my mates a little humble and respectful of others.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
I think at least a season away from OZ would be best for all concerned. JOC (James O'Connor) can reflect on what's really important to him and whether or not that includes playing for Australia. The Wallabies can get on the with the job of trying to win test matches without his poor attitude and the unwanted attention is attracts.

Win, win for mine.

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
I think that a short contract in Europe is mainly due to his depressed market value, particularly as most teams have already full squads.
I'd say it's more the latter. i.e. mostly full squads. There are still more Sugar Daddies over there who'd throw plenty of tasty cash to punt on getting a game-changing player.

Maybe he can follow up a short-term Euro contract now with an injury-cover Force contract later this year. If he genuinely wants to be at the 2015 RWC he should be aiming to get back ASAP. Other players are staking good claims.

flat_eric

Alfred Walker (16)
What bothers me a lot about JOC (James O'Connor) is that stupid smirk he has when talking infront of a camera, even when discussing the mistakes he has made. I'm not sure whether he means to give the impression he couldn't give a fuck but that is certainly what it looks like to me.

oztimmay

Tony Shaw (54)
Staff member
Apparently the Pirates are the ones to thank for 'loaning' him to the Not Nots. Suppose that is the only Aussie team that has his signature on paper...

jamesoconnor832Big 1st day requires Big feed :) lucky@WestHarbourRFC taught me how to read a map or else we cld have been stuck walking around Richmond all night & that wldnt be good for Ol Shandy who was stuffed just getting out of the car ;) On another note big thanks to the Pirates for loaning me to @LiRFC for the season..#Pirate4Life #UpThePirates #LondonIrish

MajorlyRagerly

Trevor Allan (34)
I saw in the press conference, he's touted as a global rugby superstar. Really?

I don't deny the guys got serious talent, but I'm thinking he got this billing due to his off field whatevers, more than his onfield. HIs games vs BIL at 10 certainly didn't make him a superstar.

Made me think actually who are global rugby superstars... BOD, DC, Wilko are the only 3 that spring to my mind. Plenty of others with the profile and the ability but are there any other genuine rugby superstars?

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)

I don't deny the guys got serious talent, but I'm thinking he got this billing due to his off field whatevers, more than his onfield. HIs games vs BIL at 10 certainly didn't make him a superstar.

Made me think actually who are global rugby superstars. BOD, DC, Wilko are the only 3 that spring to my mind. Plenty of others with the profile and the ability but are there any other genuine rugby superstars?

Read 'Global Rugby Superstar' as 'Great media presence'.

Exhibit A, the post 2 above this one.

USARugger

John Thornett (49)
Think you may have forgotten someone!

11-Jonah-Lomu.jpg

Zander

Ron Walden (29)

Made me think actually who are global rugby superstars. BOD, DC, Wilko are the only 3 that spring to my mind. Plenty of others with the profile and the ability but are there any other genuine rugby superstars?

Rank them from twitter followers.

Bairdy

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Another unsurprising development re JOC (James O'Connor):

Top 14​

James O'Connor set for France move?
ESPN Staff
November 5, 2013
33253.3.jpg

Could James O'Connor be another stellar signing for Toulon? © Getty Images
James O'Connor has seemingly wasted no time in plotting his next career move after being spotted at Toulon's training ground on Monday.

O'Connor starred for London Irish against Northampton at the weekend in what was his debut for the Aviva Premiership side. O'Connor, who is currently out of the Wallabies reckoning due to his off-field ill-discipline, was only confirmed as a London Irish player on Tuesday but reports in the French press claim O'Connor has been spotted at Toulon just 24 hours after running out for the Exiles.

O'Connor was photographed at their training ground and according to Varmatin he met with club owner Mourad Boudjellal and head of recruitment Laurent Emmanuelli.

Source: http://www.espn.co.uk/australia/rugby/story/204873.html

Status
Not open for further replies.