• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

JOC (James O'Connor) Gooonne

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
I would say he has already been replaced. I don't really care what the pretty boy does from here. We have well and truly moved on. TBH I am more interested in how Beale responds in 2014 as he is still here. I hope it all comes together for the bloke.

Swat

Chilla Wilson (44)
So does anyone know, does he have to be playing Super Rugby in 2014 to possibly get back into the Wallabies for RWC or can he come back in 2015???

JSRF10

Dick Tooth (41)
So does anyone know, does he have to be playing Super Rugby in 2014 to possibly get back into the Wallabies for RWC or can he come back in 2015???

I think Link said that anyone who wanted to be considered had to play a full year of Super rugby in 2015 in Australia, open to correction on that though. If JOC (James O'Connor) wanted to be considered he'd have to leave France/England around this time next year.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)

Surely he could not play the 2014/15 northern season, he would have to be available from the start of Soup training, which would be well under way before the NH season starts . That means he has to come back in 2014.

Rob42

John Solomon (38)
I think Link said that anyone who wanted to be considered had to play a full year of Super rugby in 2015 in Australia, open to correction on that though. If JOC (James O'Connor) wanted to be considered he'd have to leave France/England around this time next year.

Yes, that's right. The previous rule (and might still be the official policy) was that players had to be contracted to a Super Rugby franchise to be considered for the Wallabies, but that could mean a player who was contracted for the following year - eg Luke Burgess returning from France to the Rebels just before the Lions series, for which he could have been selected despite not playing for the Rebels in 2013. Link wants his players to have a full season of Super Rugby in 2015 before Wallaby selection.

Swat

Chilla Wilson (44)
Bernard Laporte, RCT's trainer:
Interviewed by Var-matin (local newspaper), Toulon's manager Bernard Laporte confirmed that James O'Connor will play in Toulon next season. However, he didn't specified the length of the contract and wether or not the player has signed yet.
Mourad Boudjellal, RCT's President:
"This isn't signed yet. We won't lie, of course we are in contact with him. Of course we almost agreed, but there still his some points, including the length of the contract, that makes we haven't signed anything yet. But we cannot be uninterested by a 23 years old guy with 45 selections with the wallabies full of talent. His only flaw is to have had too much to drink this autumn in Dublin, but if we removed every player who ever drank too much there wouldn't be anyone left on the Top 14 pitches"
Source: some guy from Reddit.

Could this mean that the length of contract the JOC (James O'Connor) is trying to get is truncated so he could return for a full Super Season?

Rob42

John Solomon (38)
Source: some guy from Reddit.

"His only flaw is to have had too much to drink this autumn in Dublin"

Is Bernard suggesting that JOC (James O'Connor) was up to his old tricks in Dublin, getting his team-mates into trouble but disappearing before getting caught himself? More likely he just got his Wallaby drinking incidents mixed up. Not hard to do, this year.

Swat

Chilla Wilson (44)
Is Bernard suggesting that JOC (James O'Connor) was up to his old tricks in Dublin, getting his team-mates into trouble but disappearing before getting caught himself? More likely he just got his Wallaby drinking incidents mixed up. Not hard to do, this year.

I think you're right, although I was more interested in the dispute over length of contract.

Rob42

John Solomon (38)
I think you're right, although I was more interested in the dispute over length of contract.

Yes, it certainly sounds like JOC (James O'Connor) might be angling for a half-season contract or similar, from what Laporte says. Do French teams go for that type of contract? I can't think of a precedent, for a player coming back to Super Rugby from French rugby mid-season.

JOC (James O'Connor)'s been pretty durable, but playing a half-season of French rugby, then straight into a Super Rugby season, June tests, Rugby Championship, then RWC would be a massive 15 month season. Unwise for his longer-term prospects, you'd have to think. That's assuming he was selected for the Wallabies, of course.

More important for him to get good coaching wherever he is, I reckon. Will he get that at Toulon?

Swat

Chilla Wilson (44)
More important for him to get good coaching wherever he is, I reckon. Will he get that at Toulon?

If by coaching you mean cash.

fb1164b53b683278fe3d0e90e563d0f9-inspirational-sloth.gif

MajorlyRagerly

Trevor Allan (34)
Not overrated at all, replaceable - yes.

Over-rated by himself, perhaps?

Bullshit, he was the best back in 2011 and at the RWC. Was World XV quality in 2010 too.

Which RWC was that? If it was 2011, I would have put both Genia & Ioane ahead of him.

Either way, tough loss for you guys talent wise, but perhaps not squad harmony wise. The latter is far more important in my humble opinion.

Status
Not open for further replies.