• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

John Grant signs with Wests Tigers

Status
Not open for further replies.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
On a one year contract to the Tigers where his uncle played.

Not good news, he had a lot of potential and could definitely have made it at Super level. I suppose its only a one-year deal so he could be back soon.

I do wonder where he will play in League. He is tall, rangy and fast with a big boot. Doesn't scream Rugby League. Wing or fullback I suppose.

Nusadan

Chilla Wilson (44)
A year in NRL, learning additional skills and training differently might maketh the man to realise his potential than it would be the case with rugby...

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
I've said in another thread somewhere that I felt one of the Aussie franchises would surely have a spot for him. It's a real shame that he went to league.

DPK

Peter Sullivan (51)
Pity. Don't see him as a league player. Doesn't fit the stereotypical body type really.

Neither do Elsom or Beau Robinson, so he may well be back.

I'd be interested to see how he goes with some league conditioning.

T

Train Without a Station

After last year's race he was one player I was really looking forward to seeing more of. That being said Lachlan Turner didn't really kick on from that either.

R

rugby_man

Good luck to the kid. He has obviously being doing all the right things and has yet to be given a chance at Super 15 level so it's good that he has been picked up by a club. It'll be interesting to see how it all pans out in the end.

Reactions: DPK

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
On a one year contract to the Tigers where his uncle played.

Not good news, he had a lot of potential and could definitely have made it at Super level. I suppose its only a one-year deal so he could be back soon.

I do wonder where he will play in League. He is tall, rangy and fast with a big boot. Doesn't scream Rugby League. Wing or fullback I suppose.

they like tall wingers who can catch, a shame to lose him

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
Super teams had every chance to sign him up; so you couldn't blame him for taking a chance to play footie for a living. I thought that he was developing nicely this year for Eastwood and was playing the best footie of his career, albeit with more to develop in his game.

As others have said: let's hope that he comes back, and as a better player.

R

Red Rooster

Super teams had every chance to sign him up; so you couldn't blame him for taking a chance to play footie for a living. I thought that he was developing nicely this year for Eastwood and was playing the best footie of his career, albeit with more to develop in his game.

As others have said: let's hope that he comes back, and as a better player.

If the Super Teams are not interested then thats telling you there are better players ahead of him or he has some issues. Link has said it plenty of times in terms of his recruitment criteria - unless you can picture him, or any player for that matter, standing out there with a Wallaby jersey on then you got to keep looking for the blokes that might -

louie

Desmond Connor (43)
If the Super Teams are not interested then thats telling you there are better players ahead of him or he has some issues. Link has said it plenty of times in terms of his recruitment criteria - unless you can picture him, or any player for that matter, standing out there with a Wallaby jersey on then you got to keep looking for the blokes that might -

While i agree with that in theory We do need to develop young players. Grant has fantastic physical qualities and with the right training could have been a good super rugby back.

dobduff11

Trevor Allan (34)
He has a similar physique to Matt Duffie of the Melbourne Storm (just made his debut for the kiwis as well the other month).

I hope he goes well but with Utai and Tuqiri at the tigers he may find it tough to get a start

canowindra

Frank Nicholson (4)
After finishing his apprenticeship last year, John took this year off to concentrate on his rugby. With no offers on the table from the Provinces he had to make a decision. Apparently within an hour of agreeing to go to West Tigers he got a call from the Brumbies asking if he would train with them!

Clawhammer

Herbert Moran (7)
After finishing his apprenticeship last year, John took this year off to concentrate on his rugby. With no offers on the table from the Provinces he had to make a decision. Apparently within an hour of agreeing to go to West Tigers he got a call from the Brumbies asking if he would train with them!

As a Brumbies and Wests supporter I am experiencing cognitive dissonance.

T

tranquility

He has a similar physique to Matt Duffie of the Melbourne Storm (just made his debut for the kiwis as well the other month).

I hope he goes well but with Utai and Tuqiri at the tigers he may find it tough to get a start

Utai obviously has the jump on him with experience, but he is a pretty dated League winger in term of his style and height these days and if I'm not mistaken the Tigers plucked him from the wilderness for this season. I think he will end up a bit like former West Tiger Pat Richards, and that is not a bad thing at all!

Moses

Simon Poidevin (60)
Staff member
So League now have the second fastest footy player... surprised they haven't made a move for Lachie!

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
You would think with the recent signings at the Brumbies of Tomane and Sitauti he wouldn't have been much of a chance of playing. Better that he goes to a pro environment and develops more. Then he will have options when the year is up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom