• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

John Grant signs with Wests Tigers

Status
Not open for further replies.
W

waves

Utai obviously has the jump on him with experience, but he is a pretty dated League winger in term of his style and height these days and if I'm not mistaken the Tigers plucked him from the wilderness for this season. I think he will end up a bit like former West Tiger Pat Richards, and that is not a bad thing at all!

Matt Utai is used in the Tigers squad as a power winger something each team has. He played A Grade last year in which Tim Sheens signed Matt for 2 years, first pre-season back he impressed getting looks over Beau Ryan and Mitch Brown. Im afraid he looks to be a starter in 2012 for the Tigers in which John Grant would be behind Lote Tuqiri it will be tough for him although he will gain knowledge of the game.

dermo

Larry Dwyer (12)
Can someone please confirm this signing? its not on the tigers website and as a tigers fan im really keen for confirmation as there have been alot of rumours of who they are going to sign. Also with the Tigers lacking an obvious 2012 fullback i think you will find he will end up playing fullback.

M

mightypythons

I personally wish John all the best, he played Australian Sevens, and played League when he was younger. He is a great guy and has heaps of potiental, hopefully he will go back to Rugby

canowindra

Frank Nicholson (4)
Hi mighty python,hopefully one day he will be playing for the Mighty Pythons! James played in Orange on the weekend, and so the Pythons may get a good ten years out of John after he retires!

Rebel rouser

Ted Fahey (11)
I'd pretty much never heard of this guy other than in the Gatorade bolt thingy last year. However, reading through this thread and watching his highlights package ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5q_TJL_9Abw ) I'm disappointed we let him slip through our fingers.

Surely with five super franchises we could have found a home for him somewhere. How are the Force going for outside backs? They've just lost David Smith and JOC (James O'Connor). And the Brumbies are being torn down and starting again. Is there some huge flaw to his game that's not clear from these clips? Maybe his D?

Nusadan

Chilla Wilson (44)
He played for the Australian Sevens team in two tournaments last year if my memory serves me right and I believe he was dropped after that, think it was due to an injury but wasn't picked again for this year, so guess his defence might have been an issue as his finishing ability was pretty undoubted.

It stands to reason that if you can't cut the mustard in the sevens as a back then you're not good enough to make a Super Rugby team seeing as the best backs in Oz are already in them and thus the best of the remnants would be in the Sevens squad.

I do however, hope he comes back from NRL better for the experience!

canowindra

Frank Nicholson (4)
John played the Sevens circuit this last season, but was dropped after the Samoa game in Hong Kong, and was not selected again. He was not injured.it is unfortunate that he did not have the skill set that the selectors wanted, as the extra room in Sevens could have suited his pace and size.however in sevens there is little room for error and no where to hide, all vulnerabilities are clearly evident.

p.Tah

John Thornett (49)
Watching the Eastwood game this afternoon I was wondering how John Grant is going at the Tigers. I don't know if he's had a game yet, but I was surprised about his answer to a question on his bio on the Tigers website

Q: What are the positives for you in being a contracted Wests Tigers player?.
A: I don't have to play rugby again

Was this said in jest or was he being serious? Did someone force him to play rugby?

http://www.weststigers.com.au/playerprofiledisplay/Wests Tigers/John-Grant/5508

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I'm guessing the Tigers put it there, don't know why you'd turn up in Shute Shield week after week with poor pay if you didn't like it..

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
At least he makes it clear from his comment that rugby league is definitely not rugby...

Despite what some people want to think...

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
He was on the bench in the state cup a couple of weeks ago, he may be back in the Shute Shield before too long.

Thin Thighs

Ted Fahey (11)
If his comments as reported are true, and he is not getting time on the field as Tigers run on squad, which he is not, then I suspect he should be brushing up on his French - Parles Vous?

Couldn't see him too welcome back at TG Milner.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom