• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

John I Dent 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.

bluebags

Larry Dwyer (12)
This may end in tears, but hopefully not.

Anyone able to set aside tribal club loyalties and keen to nominate their John 1 Dent 2015 Merit Team of the Year?
Requirement: Must have played at least 7 games in any grade in John 1 Dent.

Pardon my ignorance,but besides playing 7 games, what would qualify a player to make the team? You could argue that the Griffins should cover this, although they are more flexible in regard to amount of 1st grade appearances

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
The "7 games in the local competition" requirement is there to recognise the club players, rather than the pro players who parachute in from time to time for a guest appearance at park level.

Maybe most of these are in the Griffins (Development Team), but that just reflects the thinking of the Griffins selectors.

What about some G&GR keyboard Selectors opinions of a John I Dent Clubman XV?

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Not sure if you are taking the piss with this team, Rocky only played a couple of games, Tyrell and Connal can't even make first grade, Maligi isn't a first choice at Qbn! No room for Tai Valeni and I'm pretty sure our scrum dominated all year so maybe we should get a front rower or two!

Only good enough for the UC Vikings NRC squad?

BlueBagger

Allen Oxlade (6)
1. Lloyd, Harrison R
2. Mcinerney, Connal T
3. Lomax, Tyrel
4. O'Byrne, Connor R
5. Staniforth, Thomas J
6 .Tai, Soakai A
7. Ilolahia, Rutikha S
8. Leber, Brodie T
9. Ward, Mitchell J
10. Iona, Rodney
11. Finau, Maligi R
12. Rakic, Jake
13. Morgan, Keith R
14. Barrell, Andrew N
15. Kotz, Jamie J

1 royals player. yeah that's a really accurate team. I'm sure you could squeeze a few more Gungahlin player's in there somewhere...

Uncle Joe

Herbert Moran (7)
Hooked.gif

bluebags

Larry Dwyer (12)
Trying to get some info on colts who played 1st grade this year and presumably may have a crack at the top grade next year. It could be argued of course, that the colts from Tuggeranong, Queanbeyan and Royals would walk into the top spot at the other clubs.
Any additions.thoughts?

1-Faaleli Sione R
2-Connal McInerey T
3-Tyrel Lomax T
4-
5-Callum Smith T
6-Iosua Tonga T
7- James Kazias T
8- Paragali R
9-
10-J Jackson-Hope T
11-Sam Ross R
12-Keith Morgan Q
13- Sam Giltrap T
14-
15-Jamie Kotz G

Reserves;
16- Suita Tai R
17-
18-
19- Tyron Sullivan Q
20-
21-Harry Burry R
22-

I was told that a 17yr old played some 1st grade for Easts this year. Obviously, youngsters playing for lowly ranked clubs may not make it at the better ones, however this lad must have some potential. Anyone know of this?

HeadTape

Bob McCowan (2)
I'm not sure I agree with the coining of the McDougall Medallist as the best player of the competition. Much like the Brownlow of the AFL, or Daly M of the NRL, potential winners can be a victim of playing in a quality side. I found this on the Brumbies website, which gives a good explanation of how it is awarded -

This award goes to the player, who has accumulated the most 3, 2, 1 votes over the regular season. A number of individuals from an independent selected panel attend all 1st Grade round matches and on that day they will select three outstanding players and awarded them points based on their influence and involvement in that game. (http://www.brumbies.com.au/CommunityRugby/ACTCompetitions/MacDougallMedalAwardsNight.aspx)

I know this may upset some people, but take Tuggeranong for instance. They probably have 8-10 players that could easily be argued as the best player in the competition, but because they are contesting for the same 3-2-1 points each week they will inevitably miss out because of the quality around them. On the other hand, and I'm sorry I don't mean to offend, Easts don't really have anyone that could be considered the best player in the comp - but will still receive points because there is no competition on the field for them.

Michael Henry won the Tuggies first grade B&F and their "Player of the Year" award, but barely rated a mention in the McDougall voting, so you're definitely onto something here.

HeadTape

Bob McCowan (2)
Pete Henry would have to be running the water - does he meet the 7 game qualification criteria?

I would think that PH definitely ran water in more than 7 games this season. Must be handy for the 2's coach (Allardice?) to have a second set of eyes there.

Istanbul

Vay Wilson (31)
I would think that PH definitely ran water in more than 7 games this season. Must be handy for the 2's coach (Allardice?) to have a second set of eyes there.
What's his story? Has he suffered a long term injury? He's too young to have given playing away - he looked like he would be a reasonable prospect a few years ago but now every time I see him he is running water. Is he putting the boots on next year?

bluebags

Larry Dwyer (12)
Jamie kotz at 15 ?? Surely your pulling our legs. Jamie bodman from royals is a much more worthy candidate

Theres a couple of lists running at the mo, which one? The colts or merit teams? Also, its great that there are options but should perhaps qualify your choice somehow....more consistent, better kicking game, scored more tries???

MonkeyBoy

Bill Watson (15)
What's his story? Has he suffered a long term injury? He's too young to have given playing away - he looked like he would be a reasonable prospect a few years ago but now every time I see him he is running water. Is he putting the boots on next year?
Shoulder Reco, should be back next year

mouth guard

Bob McCowan (2)
Word is that Vikings are looking at Pete Henry to be the long term replacement for Tim Cree. From having seen some of his performances last year in second grade, I believe he can fill that big ball running void left by Tim. Hopefully he recovers fully from his shoulder reco and has a big preseason.

Whitehead

Allen Oxlade (6)
Only good enough for the UC Vikings NRC squad?
They aren't good enough to make the UC vikings squad, they have made it on potential, because anyone who saw lomax come on in first grade this season would know he was not even in the top 6 props in Canberra!

Status
Not open for further replies.