• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

John I Dent Cup 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brumby Jack

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
Well considering all ovals have been closed in Canberra this weekend, it probably won't matter

Rugby Central

Charlie Fox (21)

Say it aint so......Between Vikings Park and the University grounds they should be able to get a number of games going. Couldn't be too hard to run East vs Tuggeranong on the main oval at Viking Park and Wests vs Royals on the back. With all that money spent Gungahlin should be open or could move to one of the many Uni ovals either at UC or ANU.

Surely the ACT Government doesn't control these fields.

griffins

Bill Watson (15)
Say it aint so..Between Vikings Park and the University grounds they should be able to get a number of games going. Couldn't be too hard to run East vs Tuggeranong on the main oval at Viking Park and Wests vs Royals on the back. With all that money spent Gungahlin should be open or could move to one of the many Uni ovals either at UC or ANU.

Surely the ACT Government doesn't control these fields.

Someone should start a petition to make sure this never happens again. What a joke it's not even raining.

Brumby Jack

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
Government owns the new Gungahlin and it was closed last week for the opening.

I think there is only one field with rugby posts at UC and the field is terrible at the best of times.

And besides it was announced at 12 on a Friday, as we know in Canberra not much gets done on POETS day in the arvo.

No.8

Phil Hardcastle (33)
Pretty shit news for all players and people involved/people wanting to watch - I would say if it was later into the season they would of let it go - but due to it being 1st round they prob dont want the ovals destroyed over one weekend and then they are having to pay to get them fixed throughout the season....

Crap news - the question is - with no byes now when will the games be made up?

Brumby Jack

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
The guy in charge of ovals etc said that with the rain last week and this weeks rain, there was a lot of surface water on some ovals and they don't have the resources to be able to fix all the ovals if they get damaged this weekend.

By winter some of them are very ordinary anyway. I can understand his point from one perspective but understand that many teams were keen to play.

No.8

Phil Hardcastle (33)
It is also going to be raining all next week/Saturday from the looks of things....what happens if the weather is the same this time next week.....

Brumby Jack

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
I assume Vikings own their oval, ANU North comes under their control and Queanbeyan is obviously owned by the council so that leaves Griffith, Nicholls/Gungahlin, Jamison and Phillip under Government control?

Maybe if they can arrange it early enough they could move but there are other sports using those ovals to consider

No.8

Phil Hardcastle (33)
Vikings dont have a home game till RD 5 I think - they have 2 ovals ready to rock and roll - I am sure if at least the 1st Grade games needed to be played they could be played over a Saturday at Vikings Park.

I think next week regardless they will have to play....

HeadTape

Bob McCowan (2)
Vikings dont have a home game till RD 5 I think - they have 2 ovals ready to rock and roll - I am sure if at least the 1st Grade games needed to be played they could be played over a Saturday at Vikings Park.

I think next week regardless they will have to play..

Have heard from a few people that Easts said no to playing at Viking Park on the weekend...

G

getemback10sir

fair enough too for mine. they probably let their players know before the vikings made the offer. i wonder if this extra week off will prove to be useful for each premier division club

HeadTape

Bob McCowan (2)
fair enough too for mine. they probably let their players know before the vikings made the offer. i wonder if this extra week off will prove to be useful for each premier division club

Probably would have been more beneficial to just play on the weekend, I suspect.

G

getemback10sir

Well possibly not from the point of view of Eastern Suburbs.

HeadTape

Bob McCowan (2)
Surprised they haven't called games off this weekend with these few drops of rain...

Any tips?

Vikings over the Owls
Royals over Qbn
Gungahlin over Easts

Status
Not open for further replies.