• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

John I Dent Cup 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
I recall an ITM cup game last year where a Canterbury player did some very bizzare things in the last couple of minutes of play. I can't recall exactly what they were but they were right out of character for a "normal" semi pro ITM Cup level player - Offside by miles, tackling players without the ball, that sort of stuff and not the usual sorts of offside and niggle that players try to get away with.

Turns out that he had just copped one on the melon and was concussed pretty badly.

Perhaps there are elements of a similar situation being repeated, based on the reported behaviour in the Wests v Queanbeyan game.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
''So, all up it would take four years for him to come back, if he wanted to play after that,'' Wests coach Craig Robberds said.

How does Mr Robberds work out 4 years? There are 52 weeks in a year. The ban is surely for calendar weeks, not playing weeks.

No.8

Phil Hardcastle (33)
''So, all up it would take four years for him to come back, if he wanted to play after that,'' Wests coach Craig Robberds said.

How does Mr Robberds work out 4 years? There are 52 weeks in a year. The ban is surely for calendar weeks, not playing weeks.

It would be playing weeks mate

Brumby Jack

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member

Playing weeks. Remember Kuridrani got suspended for 5 games at the end of last year and was only eligible for the first Super game after missing pre season games.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Moving away from the actual incident and on to the more generic discussion on judicial sentences: weeks (playing or calendar) vs games.

There seems to be an inconsistency between some judiciaries whether they use games or weeks, and across rugbydom different judiciaries seem to use different measures, resulting in some players being out of the game for longer (or shorter) periods than intended when the sentence was handed out.

If the sentence is described in terms of games, then what is to stop a cynical franchise of organising a trial game or charity game, and then standing player x down from that game to expedite the completion of the sentence.

If it is games, and player x's sentence extends beyond the end of the regular season, then can they serve out some of their sentence by registering and subsequently not playing games in the opposite hemisphere until the necessary games have been "missed".

If the sentence is described in "competition" weeks, and the sentence extends beyond the end of the current season, one assumes that the player is not able to register (and play) overseas until that suspension is served out. Surely the weeks the player was prevented from playing any rugby (regardless of location) should count as serving towards their sentence.

If it is that the player is banned only from the local competition for x weeks (or competition rounds/games - 4 years as has been suggested in this case), then the sanction is a mockery if the player is free to play rugby outside of that jurisdiction. ie banned in Canberra, but able to play in Sydney Subbies, or Auckland RU competition, or for @ExISA in the German competition etc.

No.8

Phil Hardcastle (33)
A very very very long day for Easts at Vikings Park today -

1st Grade - 92-0
2nd Grade - 84-7
3rd Grade - 73 - 0 (This game was called OFF at half time/it was 73-0 by half time)
4th Grade - 45-7
Colts - 81-5

No.8

Phil Hardcastle (33)
Wests starting to tick over or are Royals struggling abit this year? Or abit of both?

Heard Vikings 1st/2nd Grade are playing Easts again on Wednesday night as a make up game for the start of the season......long week for Easts....

No.8

Phil Hardcastle (33)
Easts forfeited V Vikings 1sts, 2nds, Colts - Not a good sign by Easts - I know they have prob done it for the for and agasint but honestly they wont make the finals anyway so why not show up and try and put it to Vikings......Not good on Easts part at all.....have not heard of a 1st grade side doing that for years...

W

wrecking rider

The much feared demise of Easts is upon us?
Not sure how good a 6 team John I Dent competition is for local rugby...

No.8

Phil Hardcastle (33)
I don't think it's the end but they do need to lift their game - I am not sure what the culture is like at the club but def came across from some players on the weekend that they couldn't give a sh*t - then not to play tonight - you could maybe understand the 2nds and Colts maybe giving it a miss - but a 1st grade side? Mmmm. It's sad to see but maybe they need abit of a culture upgrade and maybe the ACTRU need to inject some cash into them. Of course it's had to judge them as they came up against a very strong vikings unit across the board - some players in their 3rds n 4ths team would prob make Easts 1st Grade....but it is worrying signs and I really hope they get a win or 2 this season.

BrumbiesPolynesian

Fred Wood (13)
Lets be real here I think, the demise of Easts was always going to happen after the 2008 shambles. Poor decisions from the then board to "go another direction" was always goign to have an affect. You cant blame anyone or anything else other than it all comes from that decision. Since then, Easts have done nothing of significance. The coaching has been poor, even with talented players, the coaching has been poor, no structure, no real game plan, no nothing. They bought in boys this season who from all reports have ended up as coaches also.
I feel sorry for Easts yes, but they bought it all on themselves.
Lets hope there is enough in that club to make some BIG changes and move forward for the same of the Comp.

Rock Lobster

Larry Dwyer (12)
I heard their 1st grade coach quit which would go some way to explaining the forfeit. There was an ad in last weeks programme for head coach for 2015. Who'd be silly enough to take that job? The joint is a basket case & there is no way the ACTRU should throw more good money after bad, especially after other clubs have had to struggle through on their own resources in recent years. 6 team comp would work fine. 3 full rounds for 15 games is a better balance than the 12 rounds this year (which is too short) & the 2 & a half rounds they have used in recent years where you don't play each team an equal number of times, which favours some clubs over others depending on who they have to play 3 times as opposed to 2.

W

wrecking rider

Where are the ACTRU going to get money from to give to the tri colours? Pokies revenue from the RUC? Cmon....

No.8

Phil Hardcastle (33)
Lets be real here I think, the demise of Easts was always going to happen after the 2008 shambles. Poor decisions from the then board to "go another direction" was always goign to have an affect. You cant blame anyone or anything else other than it all comes from that decision. Since then, Easts have done nothing of significance. The coaching has been poor, even with talented players, the coaching has been poor, no structure, no real game plan, no nothing. They bought in boys this season who from all reports have ended up as coaches also.
I feel sorry for Easts yes, but they bought it all on themselves.
Lets hope there is enough in that club to make some BIG changes and move forward for the same of the Comp.

What were the decisions made back in 2008? Unaware

Status
Not open for further replies.