• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

John I Dent Cup 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

BrumbiesPolynesian

Fred Wood (13)
What were the decisions made back in 2008? Unaware

The "removal" of the then Head Coach. Easts then were on the verge of being a dominant force, that 2008 Team was a team that could of won the title on 2009. But for some reason, the board decided to go another direction and advise the coaching group to "reapply".

For memory, after this, the players all left, going to another club or going to League.

And from that decision, its been down hill.

No.8

Phil Hardcastle (33)
The "removal" of the then Head Coach. Easts then were on the verge of being a dominant force, that 2008 Team was a team that could of won the title on 2009. But for some reason, the board decided to go another direction and advise the coaching group to "reapply".

For memory, after this, the players all left, going to another club or going to League.

And from that decision, its been down hill.

mmm...w...t....f haha - seems very strange!

Is the Easts head coaching job a paid position?
I am not sure what they need to do to get back on track - going to be a long couple of months for them....

In other other news Vikings took of Qbn last night in 3rd's n 4ths -

3rd grade - 31-18 - To Vikings
4th grade - 35-27 - To Qbn

Watched these games - the level of rugby was great by both grades/sides - Qbn have a very good/young 4th grade side - not a "huge" team but very skillful - had the Vikings forwards on the backfoot.

3rd grade Vikings seemed on top most of the game but still a very very strong 3rd grade side from Qbn - you would think in both grades these guys will be meeting eachother in the final.

Charlie Brown

Chris McKivat (8)
so the Easts coach quit??? Who is coaching them now?? Wow.pretty poor from the coach, that is just throwing in the towel..

From what I hear the stand in Coach is Phil Hopkins. Ex teacher from Erindale college who has also done coaching for Junior Brumbies teams (U12,13,14, 15'S etc) Also was in charge of the Talented Sports Program at Erindale. He has been quietly trying to recruit for the club, and seems to want to improve the culture.

No.8

Phil Hardcastle (33)
From what I hear the stand in Coach is Phil Hopkins. Ex teacher from Erindale college who has also done coaching for Junior Brumbies teams (U12,13,14, 15'S etc) Also was in charge of the Talented Sports Program at Erindale. He has been quietly trying to recruit for the club, and seems to want to improve the culture.

Must be very hard to recruit when they have only won a handful of games over the last few years and have just been knocked over by 92 points and 80+ in nearly every grade.

Hopefully maybe some exciting young/good players from other clubs stuck in lower grades maybe see Easts as a chance to show themselves on the 1st Grade stage - as I said above there are guys sitting in Vikings and QBN 3rds/4ths that could prob nearly walk into 1st grade spots with Easts.

Charlie Brown

Chris McKivat (8)
Must be very hard to recruit when they have only won a handful of games over the last few years and have just been knocked over by 92 points and 80+ in nearly every grade.

Hopefully maybe some exciting young/good players from other clubs stuck in lower grades maybe see Easts as a chance to show themselves on the 1st Grade stage - as I said above there are guys sitting in Vikings and QBN 3rds/4ths that could prob nearly walk into 1st grade spots with Easts.

Back in Feb he was contacting young fellas who are colts level or just out of colts to try and entice them across to Easts. I few guys thought about it as they would probably get a little $ out of it. But realistically, anyone with any talent wouldn't get a look in for any rep/development squads if there on a losing team. Thats why some of these fellas are reluctant to play for a side thats been doing badly for a number of seasons. Its a shame, as in the past the Easts club were great.

Toby Spencer

Stan Wickham (3)
Rumors at training last night was that Sio, Mowen, Butler, and Lealiifano are all playing for Tuggies this weekend.

Anyone know if this is true or not? I feel a little sorry for Royals if it is....

No.8

Phil Hardcastle (33)
Vikings 3rds and 4ths played last night -

3rds - 24-0 - To Vikings
4ths - 55-7 - To Vikings

1sts/2nds/Colts play today.

No.8

Phil Hardcastle (33)
Good win from Uni - guessing Wests are currently having some issues.

Easts from a high to another big low...

Heard the Vikings V Eagles game was a cracker...again Vikings winning comfortably in every grade (Besides 1sts) - heard they have only lost 2 games over all grades this year? Crazy. Next week V the Whites will be intense and def the biggest test all season.

Keiran

Sydney Middleton (9)
Back in Feb he was contacting young fellas who are colts level or just out of colts to try and entice them across to Easts. I few guys thought about it as they would probably get a little $ out of it. But realistically, anyone with any talent wouldn't get a look in for any rep/development squads if there on a losing team. Thats why some of these fellas are reluctant to play for a side thats been doing badly for a number of seasons. Its a shame, as in the past the Easts club were great.

Recruitment seems to be a big issue for Easts, I guess that will be an excuse for playing an under 15 junior player in a grade game a couple of weeks ago. I think they have some serious issues and this is a shame as Easts were a great club.

Grant Jones

Ted Fahey (11)
As much as a rival that easts is for us, i couldn't help but feel sorry for them on the weekend when they played us. Their players must be given credit for showing up every week, the ones that do, as they forfeited 4th grade and 3rd grade. They def have some talented players there that wouldn't be out of place in any first grade team. Unfortunately the people running the club are making decisions that aren't getting them anywhere. They had Adam Friend there for 3 years (I think) in a full-time paid position who did nothing to improve the club or its playing talent. They then get Jeremy Osbourne in who wasn't lucky enough enough to have a group of players that his dad did to get them to the 2008 final. Then we he quit half way through the season to apparently let the club move forward, which is a load of crap because they appoint Phil Hopkins who only went there cause he wasn't wanted anywhere else, he didn't even get reappointed to a self-appointed 3rd grade backs job that he somehow got last year at our club. I am not saying it would be easy for them, but someone there has to grab the bull by the horns and go out and head-hunt a coach, not apply in the Stampede each week and hope they get lucky, cause they are not going to improve by sitting back and hoping things happen.

Grant Jones

Ted Fahey (11)
On a brighter note, I am really looking forward to our matches this weekend, we are massive underdogs in all grades, Vikings have improved again this year, particularly in lower grades. We have a heap of blokes out but think we will be up for the challenge in all the games, hopefully add to their 2 losses in all grades this season. 1st grade should be a good game, if our blokes can start to build some consistency i think we will be a threat. Dan Penca plays his 100th first grade game, at 26 I think that is a fair achievement.

No.8

Phil Hardcastle (33)
When Adam Friend was there he was employed by the Brumbies somehow wasnt he? and then was also doing the Easts gig - could they set something like that up again? Or is it simply not a viable option? How many coaches would be in a paid position currently? Vikings coach?

From what I have seen from Easts this year - I got the feeling some players just didnt really give a shit - if they were winning, down by 80 points etc etc - of course some players have a huge amount of passion for the club but it just seems like they are just all over the place.

Status
Not open for further replies.