• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

John I. Dent Cup 2016 - ACT Premier Rugby

Status
Not open for further replies.

macka_au

Allen Oxlade (6)
I agree but it is about $$$. From memory there is a cap but I am not sure how you rank people like JJH who has come off the bench a couple of times, Jooste who is contracted but has not played bar a trial in Wagga, Hyne has played every JID game and is on a development contract. these guys can't be classed the same as Smiler. As for Lonergan they wont let him play colts, he wont be playing NRC.

That's what everyone keeps telling me. But I feel like it's necessary take the losses and role with them until the competition becomes sustainable. You can't tell me that UC doesn't have enough cash to run its own team? And I'm sure the Vikings could fund their own team as well? Any way it's a bit of a pipe dream. Imagine the local Darby!!

That's interesting he's not allowed to play colts. I'm assuming it's because he's only 17? As stupid as this may sound. My understanding is that if you're 17 you can play grade, super footy and international footy? I could be wrong. But didn't we see that with a bloke from darra a few years ago?

Anyway I'm heading out to watch uni norths take on the Vikings this weekend. Looking forward to seeing some of the Brumbies lads in action!

No.8

Phil Hardcastle (33)
I might be a bit late to the party... I've been away. Just had a look at the NRC squad. Probably some guys who'll be a bit disappointed but it's certainly a better representation of club rugby as a whole than last years squad.

Does anyone know if there's a limit on super contracted players? Just off the top of my head you've got:

Props: Alexander, Anae, Makin, Smith and Lomax
Hookers: Mann-Rae and Abel
Locks: Enever and Staniforth
Back Row: Butler, Smiler, Wells, Hyne and bloke from Melbourne they just signed?
Halfback: Dowsett, Powell (maybe), Lonergan (new signing)
Fly half: Jooste
Centres: Jackson-Hope, Smith, Lausi
Wingers: Ah Wong, Coleman, Dargaville
Fullback: Toua

I'm probably missing some. But there doesn't appear to be a huge amount of room for club guys.

This might be the craziest thing anyone has ever said but I honestly think Canberra should have two teams. Everyone is so hung up on bringing the Kookaburras back, why not have the UC Kookaburras and the Canberra Vikings? Seems like everyone wins and opens about an extra 20 odd spots for club players.

In my opinion this competitions needs to be about development. And adding more teams achieves that goal.

I would also like to see two sides in Canberra -

Canberra Vikings (Home ground Vikings) i.e -

Vikings
Royals
Uni
Brumbies

Canberra Kookaburras (Home ground Manuka)

Whites
Eagles
Easts
Wests
Brumbies

I believe there is more than enough players to make up 2 sides and I believe it would strengthen sides that are currently struggling abit - maybe it would put that carrot in front of some players that may question if they should play for Easts for example - giving them a better shot of possibly playing at a higher level or that they are wanting to play for the Kookaburras and not the Vikings.

Plus the more guys playing at a higher level - brings the level of the John I Dent up.

I would love to see two sides I think it would make a huge difference to the rugby landscape in the ACT and we would see alot more home-grown talent reaching higher levels of rugby.

bluebags

Larry Dwyer (12)
In my opinion this competitions needs to be about development. And adding more teams achieves that goal.

My thoughts also Macka...The thread has discussed previously the number of quality youngsters running around in J1D and the NRC squad has largely reflected that. I question then, the retention of some of the older players who as good as they are or have been, maybe are at an age where they have possibly gone as far as they can at rep level. While keeping them may achieve short-term results in the comp itself, wouldn't blooding a few more promising youngsters be a better long-term proposition?

macka_au

Allen Oxlade (6)

My thoughts also Macka.The thread has discussed previously the number of quality youngsters running around in J1D and the NRC squad has largely reflected that. I question then, the retention of some of the older players who as good as they are or have been, maybe are at an age where they have possibly gone as far as they can at rep level. While keeping them may achieve short-term results in the comp itself, wouldn't blooding a few more promising youngsters be a better long-term proposition?

The NRC needs to be about development. With development comes opportunity so regardless of if you're 18 or 35 if you're given the opportunity to play at a higher level you may impress the right person and find yourself with a super rugby contract.

I think my real problem with having the one team here in is the lack of opportunity for anyone who wants to have a crack.

I think the better long term proposition is to try an blood young players.... absolutely. However, at the same time we need to be giving some of the older players an opportunity to showcase they can still play. We only have to look at Scott Fardy (28 when he made his brumbies debut) and Josh Mann-Rea (30 when he made his) to see that players develop at different rates (not everyone is Scott Sio).

But when we look at how many super contracted players are here in Canberra it leaves very little room for any of the club players to have a crack regardless of age.

Sorry I think I'm ranting a bit. But it just seems so obvious to me and it looks like the brumbies and possibly the ARU aren't seeing it.

bluebags

Larry Dwyer (12)

Vikings

Royals

Uni

Brumbies

Whites

Eagles

Easts

Wests

Brumbies

I believe there is more than enough players to make up 2 sides and I believe it would strengthen sides that are currently struggling abit - maybe it would put that carrot in front of some players that may question if they should play for Easts for example - giving them a better shot of possibly playing at a higher level or that they are wanting to play for the Kookaburras and not the Vikings.

Plus the more guys playing at a higher level - brings the level of the John I Dent up.

I would love to see two sides I think it would make a huge difference to the rugby landscape in the ACT and we would see alot more home-grown talent reaching higher levels of rugby.

Whilst the 2 sides sounds great, it aint gonna happen of course while Brissy only has 1 side and Sydney has just chopped back to 2. Aside from that the Sydney-centric ARU barely rates Canberra club rugby and continues to view the shute shield as far superior to anything QLD and ACT can dish up

Out of the woodwork

Allen Oxlade (6)

Vikings
Royals
Uni
Brumbies

Whites
Eagles
Easts
Wests
Brumbies

Us play with them? Under the Vikings banner? I don't think so pal. What a ridiculous post.

No.8

Phil Hardcastle (33)
Also do I really think Canberra will ever get 2 NRC sides - No -but this thread is about talking John I Dent, NRC, and ideas, thoughts around these 2 comps - everything that is posted isn't fact.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
I've been saying for the past two years that NSW Country should play out of Queanbeyan and be supported by the Brumbies as a way of giving more opportunity to the local players. But with the reorganisation of the Sydney based teams to have Randwick, Easts and Sydney Uni supporting the Country side, that proposition is no longer a desired option.

I would then support the establishment of two Canberra-based sides in the NRC along the lines suggested by No 8, but the second side preferably to play at Gungahlin Enclosed Oval as its base.

Whilst the 2 sides sounds great, it aint gonna happen of course while Brissy only has 1 side and Sydney has just chopped back to 2. Aside from that the Sydney-centric ARU barely rates Canberra club rugby and continues to view the shute shield as far superior to anything QLD and ACT can dish up

Brisbane has two sides in City and Country, both based in Brisbane. Counting the Country side, Sydney has three teams. Can't see why two sides in each of Canberra and Melbourne couldn't be viable.

macka_au

Allen Oxlade (6)

I didn't realise Queensland country got the axe as well? I know the stars did. It sorta helps my argument anyway there's no real bigger picture thinking.

I doubt we'll see two teams in Canberra ever but it's a nice dream to have. It would be nice to see as many club players as possible having a crack.

I'm heading out to watch the owls and the Vikings today I'll try and post a match report this Arvo. Looks like it's shaping up to be a really nice day. Should see some good open footy!

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
This conversation should probably move to the Vikings NRC thread, but just a couple of points -

- Queensland Country still exist

- NSW County is essentially a Sydney Eastern suburbs team and should probably change their name to accomodate that

macka_au

Allen Oxlade (6)
No surprises at Viking park.

1st grade
Vikings 61 uni 3

2nds
50 to 17

Colts
70 to 33

Didn't watch much of colts or 2nd grade. But interesting to note Vikings did Uni in colts by close to 100 points last time. So good to see some improvement.

In first grade. Vikings we're just too strong. Their set piece was dominant and they dominated possession and territory.

Having said that uni did a really good job at the breakdown creating a number of turnovers and penalties.

Jake Rakic was my man of the match with 3 tries.

Merrow

Arch Winning (36)
No surprises at Viking park.

1st grade
Vikings 61 uni 3

2nds
30 odd to 17 (I think)

Colts
70 to 33

Didn't watch much of colts or 2nd grade. But interesting to note Vikings did Uni in colts by close to 100 points last time. So good to see some improvement.

In first grade. Vikings we're just too strong. Their set piece was dominant and they dominated possession and territory.

Having said that uni did a really good job at the breakdown creating a number of turnovers and penalties.

Jake Rakic was my man of the match with 3 tries.
Even better for Uni Colts was that the score is officially recorded as 65-33. Pretty good really when you look at the size difference between the two sides, and 16 players to a squad of 28.

No.8

Phil Hardcastle (33)
Just saw on CT that Westies rolled Royals - geez nobody would have picked that result!

Mate! Did you see my predictions from Tuesday haha -

Predictions this week -

Wests playing some great rugby V's the Whites last weekend + a win the week before I think they will be starting to build some confidence - Royals having the BYE last week will be fresh ready to go but I think Wests may ambush Royals - Going for an upset - Wests by 3

Vikings V's Uni - I think Uni will stick with the Vikings for the 1st 40 and then start to fade - Vikings by 25

** Page 23

After watching West V's Whites (yes only one game) - I honestly think as I mentioned last Saturday they are a really solid side and I am surprised they have not won more games - could we see a fight back from Wests in the 2nd half of the season - their draw for the rest of the season -

- BYE
- Whites - Home
- Vikings - Home
- Uni - Away
- Eagles - Away
- Easts - Home

Tough few weeks - honestly Whites are going to have it tough at Jamison in afew weeks if they play anything like they did last Saturday. . . . anything could happen for Wests over the next 6 weeks.

I checked out the Vikings game yesterday - As I expected the Vikings blew Uni out of the water. Butler strengthened the back-row which I feel has been the Vikings biggest weakness this year, then Powell just putting the ball on a plate for Robinson - then Ah Wong with the finishing skills - the 3 Brumbies made a big difference.

If they play V's Whites next week I am a little worried.

Uni were ok in parts - but at the end of the day as the score says just totally outplayed - I think Wests will finishing above Uni this year - I just can't see them winning many more games this year - maybe 1 V's Easts in acouple of weeks.

No.8

Phil Hardcastle (33)
ACT Rugby Club Competition Round 11 Results

Premier division

Wests v Royals
1s Wests 26 Royals 24
2s Royals 19 Wests 17
Colts Royals 20 Wests 0

Tuggeranong v Uni Norths
1s Tuggeranong 61 Uni Norths 3
2s Tuggeranong 50 Uni Norths 17
Colts Tuggeranong 70 Uni Norths 33

First division

Wests v Royals
1s Royals 48 Wests 22
2s Wests 24 Royals 19

Tuggeranong v Uni Norths
1s Tuggeranong 19 Uni Norths 3
2s Tuggeranong 59 Uni Norths 10

Gungahlin v Queanbeyan
1s Gungahlin 49 Queanbeyan 0
2s Queanbeyan 31 Gungahlin 19

ADFA v Easts/RMC
1s ADFA 49 Easts 7
2s RMC 19 ADFA 12

No.8

Phil Hardcastle (33)
As mentioned in one of my posts the Brumbies Provincial Championships are going on in Batemans Bay this weekend - Rep sides from -

- Monaro
- Southern Inland
- South Coast

South Coast and Monaro kicked the champ's off yesterday - with South Coast getting their 1st win in YEARS - beating Monaro 50 to 12.

Generally in years gone by you could of reversed that score on South Coast and plus some - this year they have had help from some Bungendore players - but is this score maybe a reflection in some way of the new comp structure in the 3rd/4th grade comp - are players not as interested due to travel etc - I have seen Monaro did struggle for numbers to make up the rep side also.

Now we are more than half-way through the season - does any1 have any pros/cons around the 3rd/4th grade comp and the inclusion of Monaro Sides this year - should it be kept?

Status
Not open for further replies.