• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

John I. Dent Cup 2016 - ACT Premier Rugby

Status
Not open for further replies.

No.8

Phil Hardcastle (33)
Predictions for this weekend -

Eagles V Royals @Nicholls

After a hard fought win V's the Vikings I think the Eagles will be not 100% come Saturday (much like Whites and Vikings last weekend/very fatigued) - so I am going to go Royals in a close one by 2-3.

Whites V Easts @Campese

We may see some lower grade or Colt players make the step up for Whites this weekend as they possibly use it as a half recover week for some players after a really tough couple of games - Easts again may hold their own for the 1st 40 but as most weeks will run out of steam and Whites will get away with this one by 40-50 points.

Wests V Tuggeranong @Jamison

Vikings have had 2 really tough games and Wests are one of the toughest sides in the comp that will try and bash Vikings all day - I do think Vikings will be too strong but it could put them in a deeper hole fatigue/injury wise - as they are unable to bring any 2nd graders up as they are needing the win - only players that could step up as they are sitting pretty on the ladder are Colts players - but a big, strong, physical side in Wests could give them some headaches + they have the 2nd best scrum in the comp and Vikings have struggled all year come scrum time - I am tipping Vikings by 10 - but wouldn't be surprised if Wests got up.

Uni - BYE

bluebags

Larry Dwyer (12)
From the Vikings Website;

Premier Division First Grade
By Keiran Deck​
For the second week in a row the first grade result was decided with a penalty kick in the final minute, but this time the result went against the Vikings.
Gungahlin announced themselves as Premiership underdogs with a hard fought 24-23 victory on a sunny but cold Round 13 at Viking Park.
Isaac Thompson had a penalty kick from around the 30-metre line, just inside the grandstand touchline, to win the game. The ball bent in towards the goals off Thompson’s boot, but swung late to shave the right upright on the outside.
The first of the game’s eight tries came in the opening two-minutes, when Eagles number eight Ratikha Ilolahia (better known as Rocky) crashed over under the posts off the back of a dominant scrum. The conversion was missed but the Vikings crowd were stunned.
The Vikings entered the game short two Brumbies contracted players. Joe Powell was wrapped in Brumbies cotton wool, as was Ben Hyne who is on standby to plug a depleted back row.
Callum Smith replaced Hyne and he scored the Vikings’ first try of the game, but not before the Eagles created a buffer.
The competition’s leading try scorer Jaime Kotz was too fast for the Vikings’ sliding defence and he crashed over on the left wing. The score 10-3 after Andrew Robinson slotted a penalty early in the game.
The Eagles continued to dominate the scrum and Vikings had trouble in defence, unable to maintain their structure when Jake Helgesen made a break in the 30th minute. He spectacularly popped it up for Ben McGee as he was tackled just short of the line, and McGee helped set-up a 17-3 lead.
That wouldn’t be the end of the scoring for the first half, though. Vikings wrestled moment for the final eight minutes and were rewarded when Smith crossed from a pick and go formation.
At 17-10, the Eagles carried the advantage into the second half but Vikings had an opportunity to put points on the board early when Andrew Robinson had a penalty kick almost in front of the sticks. On a bad day for kickers from both sides, Robinson missed what would have turned out to be a crucial three points.
The visitors lost try scorer McGee for ten minutes after a penalty at the breakdown and Vikings capitalised at the 60-minute mark, when a Frankie Fainifo offload to Jake Rakic saw the no. 12 make a characteristically long run, beating three defenders to the try line. The try and conversion tied the scores at 17-all.
Vikings realised they were in an arm wrestle and chose to take the three points off another penalty.
Ernest Suavai, playing in fullback, was given a yellow card with 17-minutes to go as Gungahlin launched a prolonged attack on the Vikings’ line. Ilolahia had his second try soon after when the Eagles overwhelmed Tuggeranong in the scrum again.
At 24-20, Thompson slotted another penalty to make it a one point game.
The lights started to take effect as the clock ticked down. With a minute to go, Thompson lined up his kick and narrowly missed to the right of the posts.
The win means the Eagles can mathematically take the minor Premiership but with three games and a bye left, Vikings remain the favourites.
Vikings head to Jamison Enclosed Oval again this weekend to take on Wests. With only one field in action 1st Div 2nd Grade kicks off at 9.45am for the first game of the day. 1st Div 1st Grade at 11.05am, Colts at 12.25pm, Prem 2nd Grade at 1.50pm and the Prem 1st Grade game finishes up the day with a start time of 3.15pm.

No.8

Phil Hardcastle (33)
Royals chances against the Eagles may have been dealt a blow with the release of Anae from his Brumbies contract to go to Japan. https://www.brumbies.com.au/2016/06/anae-granted-release/

Yea saw this yesterday - I hadn't seen Anae listed in the team sheet for Royals for awhile - so not sure if he had been playing or not.

I think he is a solid player but thought he was lucky to get a contract with the Brumbies in the 1st place - best of luck to him in Japan - and I guess abit of negative impact for Royals.

No.8

Phil Hardcastle (33)
Round 14 Stampede -

http://d3kax65kav2deu.cloudfront.net/wp-content/uploads/2015/09/Stampede-Round-14_website.pdf?836015

Oj Noa and Elliot out for Whites - not sure if forced changes - or if they are resting both these players - Elliot did come off injured last week - but Oj seemed to be fine - I would say they would be resting him - Tai into No.8 - with Jones/Penca on the flanks.

Backline is basically the same.

A big loss for Whites is David Akkersdyk (spelling) or who to the club this year - been starting in 2nd grade in the back row/2nd row - and has had some game time off the bench for 1sts - he was injured a few weeks ago and haven't seen him listed for acouple of weeks - this guy is a really good rugby player and would prob walk into 1st grade at most clubs - hopefully he is back soon - brings alot to an already good Whites 2nd grade side.

Two Colts players in the Starting lineup for the Vikings - A.Wagner in the front row and D.Swain at 6

Vikings Backline is very much the same - but the chopping and changing in the forward pack has been their real weakness this year - I think with the two Colts guys in there this week they may get totally dominated by Wests in the scrum/set piece.

No.8

Phil Hardcastle (33)
Ben Hyne from the Vikings injured his ankle in his 1st game for the Brumbies last night (within 5 mins) - not sure how serious it is but I would say he would be out for a few weeks at least - this could mean that Oakman-Hunt or Daniel Penca or both will be moved up into the Brumbies Squad.

Hyne is a huge loss for the Brumbies and Vikings - been on fire this year - and has been the Vikings best forward by far.

macka_au

Allen Oxlade (6)
Looks like Hyne is out for the season. He did his syndismosis (I think that's how you spell it). Really disappointing for him. Oakman-Hunt was 24th man last night so I'd say he gets an opportunity next week. Id say Penca gets called in as well.

No.8

Phil Hardcastle (33)
Whites were out to prove something today and were on fire - even saw the likes of Robbie Coleman and Les Makin play some rugby today which was great to see.

Looks like Vikings did the samething!

I must say if the Brumbies are watching Daniel Penca played himself into a Brumbies jersey today he was insanely good today - just keeps showing why he is the best number 7 in the John I Dent and has been now for a number of years. . . . if he isn't in the Brumbies squad next week I will be surprised.

No.8

Phil Hardcastle (33)
Premier Division

Gungahlin v Royals

1s Gungahlin 19 Royals 17
2s Gungahlin 41 Royals 17
Colts royals 36 Gungahlin 12

Wests v Tuggeranong

1s Tuggeranong 64 Wests 20
2s Tuggeranong 59 Wests 5
Colts Tuggeranong 40 Wests 19

Queanbeyan v Easts

1s Queanbeyan 70 Easts 12
2s Queanbeyan 43 Easts 12
Colts Queanbeyan 20 Easts 0

First Division

Hall v Uni Norths

1s Hall 19 Uni Norths 11
2s Uni Norths 15 Hall 10

Goulburn v Cooma

1s Goulburn 30 Cooma 7
2 Cooma 31 Goulburn 0

Queanbeyan v Easts

1s Queanbeyan 78 Easts 5

Gungahlin v royals

1s Gungahlin 33 Royals 5
2s Gungahlin 15 Royals 15

Wests v Tuggeranong

1s Tuggeranong 28 Wests 7
2s Wests 15 Tuggeranong 14

No.8

Phil Hardcastle (33)
Just to note in the Wests/Vikings game it was 10-7 to Wests at half time.

Also Whites prob only kicked 2 goals - so really should of been closer to 80-90 points.

macka_au

Allen Oxlade (6)
Was out at Jameson today.

It was like watching two different games. It's hard to tell if the Vikings kicked it into gear or wests just collapsed. Probably a bit of both.

Vikings scrum was much improved. Vikings front row seemed to have figured it out early but perhaps tired into the second half as wests regained a bit of dominance at scrum time.

Swain, Oakman-hunt and Mcgrath were big up front for the Vikings picking up the workload left with Hyne out. But overall forwards were very strong around the park.

Jake Knight had a great day with three tries. He along with Thompson, Rakic and Suavai were the pick of the Vikings backline.

Sinoti was extremely impressive for wests he gets through a tremendous amount of work for a winger.

Wests didn't have much ball so they weren't able to do much on attack. Leaber and Rowe were impressive on defense. The wests scrum was good (especially late) anchored by Coutts and Lloyd. However neither of them seem to do much around the pitch (I guess it comes with the territory).

Wests were unlucky to be facing a Vikings team who seemed pretty upset about last weeks result.

It would appear Queanbeyan did the same.

I think it's pretty clear who the favorites are at this point but anything can happen come finals time.

Istanbul

Vay Wilson (31)
Thanks Macka - you calling Tuggies favourites or QBN favourites? It seems a close race to me. I'm liking what I see from Darra and would love a report from Nicholls to get a sense where Royals are at...

macka_au

Allen Oxlade (6)
Thanks Macka - you calling Tuggies favourites or QBN favourites? It seems a close race to me. I'm liking what I see from Darra and would love a report from Nicholls to get a sense where Royals are at.

I honestly can't separate them. At this stage id have tuggies slightly ahead. If Vikings are paying $2 to win QBN are paying $2.01. It's really that close. I was very impressed with Dara's first half last week. In my opinion it's a two horse race at this point. However, anything can happen come finals time. You only have to look at what happened last year to find that statement is true.

Istanbul

Vay Wilson (31)
I honestly can't separate them. At this stage id have tuggies slightly ahead. If Vikings are paying $2 to win QBN are paying $2.01. It's really that close. I was very impressed with Dara's first half last week. In my opinion it's a two horse race at this point. However, anything can happen come finals time. You only have to look at what happened last year to find that statement is true.
Couldn't agree more mate! I think Pocock's return from injury and who is selected to cover him (Penca or Desn O-H) will have an impact. Be great for either to get experience at S15 but possibly disruptive to club combos and will certainly have flow on effects in JID 2nd and 3rd grade as everyone shuffles up to cover.

Status
Not open for further replies.