• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

John I. Dent Cup 2016 - ACT Premier Rugby

Status
Not open for further replies.

No.8

Phil Hardcastle (33)
Queanbeyan Whites 30 - Royals 15

Vikings 26 - Gungahlin 22

Watched the Whites V Royals game - abit sloppy in the 1st half - but Whites totally dominated in the 2nd half and looked really switched on - the whole team played extremely well - nothing flash just great structured rugby....

Any reports on what the Vikings V Eagles game was like?

Even though it was a trial fantastic win for Easts!

No.8

Phil Hardcastle (33)
Any1 have any idea where Dan Penca was yesterday? Is he out injured?

Also the Whites No.9 was a 3rd grade player last year/the year before I think - but looked totally at home as a 1st grader.

MonkeyBoy

Bill Watson (15)
Queanbeyan Whites 30 - Royals 15

Vikings 26 - Gungahlin 22

Watched the Whites V Royals game - abit sloppy in the 1st half - but Whites totally dominated in the 2nd half and looked really switched on - the whole team played extremely well - nothing flash just great structured rugby..

Any reports on what the Vikings V Eagles game was like?

Even though it was a trial fantastic win for Easts!

Vikings v Gungahlin was a fantastic contest on all facets.
Hard fought at the Breakdown by both teams and neither team having scrum dominance as it see-sawed back and forth.
Gungahlin up 12-0 until Vikings an a try in with 4:30 to go in the 1st half,
HT Vikings 7 Gungahlin 12
8 minutes into the 2nd half Vikings score and convert V14 G 12
16 minutes vikings score no conversion V19 G 12
23 minutes Gungahlin score no conversion V19 G 17
32 Minutes Try Vikings with conversion V26 G17
37 Minutes Try Gungahlin off the back of a L/O to maul transition no Conversion V26 G22 last 3 minutes Vikings scrambling like loons to keep the Eagles out final score Vik 26 Gun 22

Great game well officiated by debutante premier 1sts Referee

Uncle Joe

Herbert Moran (7)
A lot closer than many were predicting. the eagles will be very competitive this year and premiers within 3 years. good young side that are starting gel.

MonkeyBoy

Bill Watson (15)
It was a fantastic game, Gungahlin were coming on strong just couldn't get there conversions were the only difference. If they keep playing like there it should be a great year for Rugby fans !!!

Charlie Brown

Chris McKivat (8)
I think that Gungahlin were a well improved side from last year and will definitely give some teams a good crack over the season. Having said that I feel the score was close due to the fact that Vikings had over half of their senior first grade squad away for a players wedding day… I think they're back to a full strength first grade team after the bye. I still think it was extremely positive to see that Vikings could still win with second grade and talented colts players to fill the gaps. Being the first game with a new coach plus at least 7 away from first grade it was a good outcome. I hope Gungahlin continue to be really competitive as it can only be great for the JID comp. They certainly looked fitter and much hungrier!!!

No.8

Phil Hardcastle (33)
Round 2 kick-off this weekend - with a "full round" of footy -

Predictions?

Easts V Royals - Easts by 3 (YEP I'M CALLING IT)

Gungahlin V Queanbeyan - Queanbeyan by 12+

Uni V Wests - Uni by 15+

Tuggers - BYE

Accidental Offside

Bob McCowan (2)
Round 2 kick-off this weekend - with a "full round" of footy -

Predictions?

Easts V Royals - Easts by 3 (YEP I'M CALLING IT)

Gungahlin V Queanbeyan - Queanbeyan by 12+

Uni V Wests - Uni by 15+

Tuggers - BYE
Think Royals will get the better of Easts in a tight affair, which ever side fronts up and wins the set piece battle should get over the line. Royals by 7

Queanbeyan will be too good for a much improved Eagles outfit, expect the Whites to get up by a couple of tries. Whites by 10-15

I suspect this one will be a lot closer then you're imagining No.8. Wests will be strong at set piece time which could pose problems for a young Owls pack. Still expect Uni to be too strong. Owls by 5

lockerroom

Frank Row (1)
Think Royals will get the better of Easts in a tight affair, which ever side fronts up and wins the set piece battle should get over the line. Royals by 7

Queanbeyan will be too good for a much improved Eagles outfit, expect the Whites to get up by a couple of tries. Whites by 10-15

I suspect this one will be a lot closer then you're imagining No.8. Wests will be strong at set piece time which could pose problems for a young Owls pack. Still expect Uni to be too strong. Owls by 5

Expecting results to be tight this weekend, with all games appearing to be evenly matched. So my predictions are:

Royals (less than 10) too strong for Easts, although I anticipate Easts coming out strong and spirited, though it would still seem to much too soon to expect them to topple last year's premiers.

Whites (less than 10) too good for Eagles. Their structure, set-piece and overall shape is too strong and consistent for the Eagles. Still expect a close game - still regard Eagles as a threat this year, they just need to get through these tough matches while building some positives to take into the other matches.

Wests (more than 10) to dominate a young Owls side. Wests always bring a physical contest and this may overwhelm a young Owls pack - and expect Wests to be as physically dominant in the backs as well.

Be great to see Easts and Eagles spring an upset, though either way it's good to see these sides moving in a very positive direction.

Number 7!

Frank Row (1)
Royals by 14+
Easts might be close in the first half, Royals defense will frustrate Easts as the game goes on.

Whites by 20+
Gungahlin will struggle this weekend against a strong whites team, after a hard fought game against Vikings last weekend. Penca is back this week for the Whites.

Owls by 25+ I predict Wests will get blown away by Owls. Program shows many players out for Wests and also many Players playing out of position. It will be close in the first 30 minutes before owls start running in back to back tries.

Istanbul

Vay Wilson (31)
This has the potential to be the most competitive and interesting JID in decades as long as Tuggies don't open the cheque book and blow everyone away. Four or five teams could easily win it and every team a genuine chance at the four. Can't recall such an open comp. Great stuff!!!

Brumby Jack

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
I watched bits of the live stream for Uni-Norths v Wests and it was 0-0 at HT.

Wests had 2 players binned for high tackles (not at the same time) and it was close before Owls ran away at the end and included a pretty good try in there.

Haven't seen it, but apparently Whites missed a conversion attempt at the end to go down by 2.

No.8

Phil Hardcastle (33)
I was at the Whites V Eagles game - Qbn went for a penalty kick about 49m out with zero time left on the clock - would of liked to see them run it and chance their arm.

Whites were prob the better side today but just didn't take advantage of the opportunities when they were put in front of them like the Eagles did.

Also Whites with (from the looks of things) some major injuries - Penca out of the game after maybe 20 mins with a hamstring, No.15 (who has been fire last week and today) with a knee injury around 60 mins in and also the hooker with what looked to be a arm/shoulder injury right at the end - so depth could come into play for the Whites the next few weeks.

As Istanbul said - this could be one of the closest seasons we have seen in a long time...

RoffsChoice

Jim Lenehan (48)
Went to Owls-Lions, Wests were the better team for 90% of the match and looked unlucky to go in scoreless at half time, though the Owls lost a player to the sin bin with less than a minute to go.

The Lions' 9 got a good try while they had the man advantage and Wests lead by 7, but they lost a man to the bin just as the Owls got theirs back and it was tied 7-7. They traded penalties to go to 10 all, but the Owls got over twenty phases going in the Lions' 22 to take the lead, which they added to with a penalty to be up 20-10. Wests were carded again for a high tackle/swinging arm and the Owls got themselves two more tries by exploiting the gaps out wide. The 9 for Wests put the step and the spin on to go about 10-20m and set up a consolation try, the rushed conversion was missed, and Owls won 32-15.

Larkham will be disappointed in Dowsett's first hour, but he came into the game in the final quarter. The Owls 8 (Jones, I think) was pretty chaotic and ended up bring some stability to the lineout when they started calling to him. The halves for Wests obviously have good chemistry and were playing very well. Wests showed their strength in the scrum and I'm excited to see how they go against Gungahlin in late May. Neither team can be proud of their lineout.

No.8

Phil Hardcastle (33)
Also to add to the above OJ Noa is just crazy good - totally dominated today - if he doesn't make the Canberra side this year then I'll eat a Vikings jersey lol

Status
Not open for further replies.