• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

John I. Dent Cup 2016 - ACT Premier Rugby

Status
Not open for further replies.

RoffsChoice

Jim Lenehan (48)
Yeah, after the game today I was checking the fixtures for the Lions-Eagles game, how can there be so many repeats before it? Easts-Eagles in Round 3 and Round 5, both at Gungahlin, Lions-Vikings in Round 3 and Round 6, Royals look like the only two teams with balanced schedules.

Edit: How can I say Queanbeyan have a balanced schedule when they play Gungahlin two times in three weeks?

No.8

Phil Hardcastle (33)
Yea strange how they have structured the draw - possibly something to do with the new 3rd/4th grade comp and not having to many games away from eachother i.e 1sts/2nd/colts and 3rd/4th grade? - you would think regardless that 1st grade would take the front seat to determine the draw anyway....

Someone else maybe able to shed some light on the random draw...

RoffsChoice

Jim Lenehan (48)
Going to dismiss the 3rd-4th div theory (though I like it, and it probably had some impact, if not the impact), it was Wests-Uni for 1sts-2nds-Colts, but Young-Wests and Uni-Vikings for 3rds-4ths. Also, heard that Wests 3rds were leading 19-12 with ten to go, final score of 24 all, so that would have been fun.

Uncle Joe

Herbert Moran (7)
Also to add to the above OJ Noa is just crazy good - totally dominated today - if he doesn't make the Canberra side this year then I'll eat a Vikings jersey lol

I was at the Eagles - Whites game too and i don't know if Noa spent the entire summer in the gym and drinking protein shakes but he was head and some big shoulders above anyone else on the field. that said Gungahlin hung in there all day and hit the lead with 5 to go and managed to hold on for the win. I think the shot from half way was the right choice but i agree it was a long shot as i think their fullback had been kicking and had gone off injured.

Dwyers Disciple

Frank Row (1)
Went to Owls-Lions, Wests were the better team for 90% of the match and looked unlucky to go in scoreless at half time, though the Owls lost a player to the sin bin with less than a minute to go.

The Lions' 9 got a good try while they had the man advantage and Wests lead by 7, but they lost a man to the bin just as the Owls got theirs back and it was tied 7-7. They traded penalties to go to 10 all, but the Owls got over twenty phases going in the Lions' 22 to take the lead, which they added to with a penalty to be up 20-10. Wests were carded again for a high tackle/swinging arm and the Owls got themselves two more tries by exploiting the gaps out wide. The 9 for Wests put the step and the spin on to go about 10-20m and set up a consolation try, the rushed conversion was missed, and Owls won 32-15.

Larkham will be disappointed in Dowsett's first hour, but he came into the game in the final quarter. The Owls 8 (Jones, I think) was pretty chaotic and ended up bring some stability to the lineout when they started calling to him. The halves for Wests obviously have good chemistry and were playing very well. Wests showed their strength in the scrum and I'm excited to see how they go against Gungahlin in late May. Neither team can be proud of their lineout.

Dwyers Disciple

Frank Row (1)
I was at the Wests v Uni-Norths game and I thought the scoreline reflected the game. The Owls were the better team and in the end proved it. The Owls lack size and power in their scrum, it went backwards faster than light speed but given that they can get some power into their scrum and be competitive at the line-out they have the potential to do well this season. Their backing up of the man with the ball in the last quarter hour of the game was superb - something we have not seen from the Owls for a long time. As for Dowsett, I thought he was his usual energetic self and his passing service was laser sharp and in front of the man. I would like to see him run a bit more as he has wonderful balance and the ability to cut a line apart.

No.8

Phil Hardcastle (33)
I was at the Eagles - Whites game too and i don't know if Noa spent the entire summer in the gym and drinking protein shakes but he was head and some big shoulders above anyone else on the field. that said Gungahlin hung in there all day and hit the lead with 5 to go and managed to hold on for the win. I think the shot from half way was the right choice but i agree it was a long shot as i think their fullback had been kicking and had gone off injured.

Noa is just a beast - for me the best no.8 in the comp by a fair margin...

I don't believe the Brumbies flanker played for the Whites on the weekend - I know he was on the team list but the 2nd grade flanker who got player of the round (in 1st grade) last week played instead - when all playing 6. Brumbies Flanker (can't remember his name) 7. Penca 8. Noa - think this is the best back row in the comp - hopefully next week we will see this - but Penca didn't look good with his hammie - so wouldn't be surprised if he doesn't play next week.

By the looks of things aswell there 15 (also kicker) wont be around for awhile unfortunately - his knee did not look good.

Uncle Joe

Herbert Moran (7)
I just want to mention the work of Henry Speight on Saturday at Nicholls oval. He is recovering from surgery and out for 8 weeks but was at Nicholls running the kicking tee, running water and picking up rubbish after the match. He was helping the eagles women's side at training last week and all with his trade mark broad smile. No airs and graces, no "don't you know who I am". He is a credit to rugby.
Eagles 90416.jpg

Istanbul

Vay Wilson (31)
I just want to mention the work of Henry Speight on Saturday at Nicholls oval. He is recovering from surgery and out for 8 weeks but was at Nicholls running the kicking tee, running water and picking up rubbish after the match. He was helping the eagles women's side at training last week and all with his trade mark broad smile. No airs and graces, no "don't you know who I am". He is a credit to rugby.View attachment 7659
That is great to hear. No doubt strong links between the quality of the people and culture at both the Brumbies and Gunghalin and the improved on field results. Very sad to learn of Ita Veas retirement today but no doubt a wise decision. Saw him play half a second grade final against Tuggies very early in his comeback. He looked terribly out of shape, dropped a lot of balls and I gave him no chance of even getting back to where he was. To return as he did was nothing short of amazing. I hope he has every success in the next chapter of his life.

Charlie Brown

Chris McKivat (8)

OJ is probably looking in good shape as he spend pre season with the Brumbies squad. The other loose forward your thinking of is Michael Wells. Under the new circumstances with Ita Vea's retirement I imagine Brumbies are not risking their loose forwards. JB injured, Pocock suspended, Vea retired, Arnold struggles with a full game & 2nd row, Enever not 100%??. Only leaves Smiler, Fardy, Wells, Hyne who is normally a 2nd rower sometimes a 6?? Carter & Staniforth who are 2nd rowers?? not a lot to work with.
Very sad news of Vea's retirement. A great loss to the Brumbies and the Wobs!!

No.8

Phil Hardcastle (33)
@Uncle Joe - I saw Speight running around aswell - such a good clubman!

Yea very true @charlie brown - we may not see Wells (thanks for confirming name) play for the whites again this year after Vea retiring - Whites maybe in for some depth searching due to this aswell.

No.8

Phil Hardcastle (33)
Round 3 predictions -

Eagles V Easts - Easts by 3

Wests V Tuggers - Tuggers by 15

Whites V Uni - Whites by 5

I am going to go with Easts again this round - I reckon Eagles will still be feeling it after a tough game with the Whites on Saturday - and I think like last year Easts will get one up on the Eagles - in a close battle though.

Tuggers should nearly be back to full-strength (whatever that is this year/still yet to be seen) - even though Wests are at home - I think they could be in for a long day V's the Vikings who may start slow but think they will start to tick early in the 1st half.

Not confident in my pick here - I want to see the Whites get up but with a number of injuries last week and a strong uni side with some confidence I could be totally wrong - lets hope Penca, the whities full-back and hooker - can come back from last weeks injuries (not liking the chances though)

Current Ladder -

RANK
TEAM
P
B
W
L
D
F
A
Df
BP4T
BP-7P
Pts
FORM
1​
nologo_small.gif
Uni-Norths Rugby Club
1​
1​
1​
0​
0​
32​
15​
17​
1​
0​
BW​
2​
nologo_small.gif
Tuggeranong Rugby Club
1​
1​
1​
0​
0​
26​
22​
4​
1​
0​
WB​
3​
logo.gif
Gungahlin Rugby Club
2​
0​
1​
1​
0​
43​
45​
-2​
1​
1​
LW​
4​
nologo_small.gif
Easts Rugby Club
1​
1​
0​
1​
0​
26​
33​
-7​
1​
1​
BL​
5​
logo.gif
Queanbeyan Rugby Club
2​
0​
1​
1​
0​
49​
36​
13​
0​
1​
WL​
6​
logo.gif
Royals Rugby Club
2​
0​
1​
1​
0​
48​
56​
-8​
1​
0​
LW​
7​
logo.gif
Wests Rugby Club
1​
1​
0​
1​
0​
15​
32​
-17​
0​
0​
BL​
Last re-calculated: Apr 12, 2016 2:20AM (local time)
small_info.png

No.8

Phil Hardcastle (33)
Write up from the 'News' section of the Whites Rugby website - as mentioned looks like there are afew injuries that could impact this weekends (maybe the next few weeks) games -

Loss with injuries -

The Whites were beaten in the last minutes by Gungahlin 19-21 and along the way suffered a list of injuries.
With Sokai Tai and Neori Nadruku already sidelined and another four first graders could be lining up at Matrix. Captain Dan Penca (hamstring), hooker Carl Elliot (shoulder), fullback and goal kicker Dan Matthews (leg) and winger Brendan Spears (throat) are all likely to miss games.
Queanbeyan led all game but the margin was always narrow. The game should have been sealed when Eagles’ winger Jamie Kotz deliberately infringed when the Whites were to score. He was sin-binned and there should have been a penalty try. Kotz returned to the field to make the long run for the home side’s victory.
When it came to the crunch Gungahlin had more punch off the bench with the Whites having to use replacements early due to the injuries. No 8 OJ Noa was again the pick with the Elliot and lock Toby Wilson working their butts off.
Second grade welcomed the return of half Mitch Douch who led the side to a 26-21 win. At 18-0 at the break it should have been plain sailing. The Eagles kept at it and narrowed to 23-21 before Douch kicked a penalty to put the game to bed.The experience of fullback Jamie Marmont and the running skills of centre Moa were the difference.
Colts woke up after 40 minutes and realised they could give it a shake even though they were down 0-19. They closed to 19-24. The bigger men need to take more responsibility to get the go forward and allow the back line some space.
Third grade fell off in the second half to allow ADFA to snatch a draw 24-all. The usual suspects Dan Jancevski, Tom G. Darmody and Aiden Kenworthy were the backbone with Adam Wise showing some form.
The fourth grade back line is a Harlem Globetrotters affair with Chris Lindbeck, Luke Cochrane, Simi Latu, Rienholt and Reuben House bouncing off each other. They won 27-17 against a very young and enthusiastic opposition. Forwards Chucky smith and Simon Wookey also stood out.
It does not get any easier with the first home game at Campese Oval against Uni-Norths who put Wests well away. Thirds and fourths meet Young at Campese as well.

http://whitesrugby.com/news/

Istanbul

Vay Wilson (31)
Eagles, Tuggies and Whites all by a fair margin. Uni and Easts had great results last week but will struggle to back it up and prove the real deal this week - Easts will be willing but won't be Abel. Tuggies too strong for westies.

Accidental Offside

Bob McCowan (2)
Gungahlin will be too good for a much improved Easts side, expect them to win by a couple of tries. Eagles by 12

Tuggeranong should get up comfortably against Wests, expect them to put a few points on the board. Tuggeranong by 25

My mail is both sides to be heavily influenced by injuries, expect Queanbeyan's depth to be better then a young Owls side. Whites by 10

Beer on the hill

Ward Prentice (10)
I'll be interested to see how Wests bounce back tomorrow against Tuggers. Are Uni a genuine contender this year? Still tipping Qbn to win against them tomorrow.
Gungahlin will be too strong for the tri colours.

Status
Not open for further replies.