• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

John I. Dent Cup 2016 - ACT Premier Rugby

Status
Not open for further replies.

No.8

Phil Hardcastle (33)
Vikings 52 - Uni 13

Whites 32 - Eagles 17

Whites with an extremely good win - Eagles played well but Whites pulled off their best performance of the year upto now - and even got away with it after 2 yellow cards (at the sametime) - so were only playing with 13 men early into the 2nd half.

Oj Noa did end up playing - not sure why he wasn't listed on the team sheet. Also Elliot the hooker back for 2nds/1sts.

And J.R was back in the centres for 2nd's and then the last 10 in 1st's - making an impact with the run of about 45m in the last couple of minutes.

Charlie Brown

Chris McKivat (8)
Uni Norths first grade started out pretty strong and won a couple of penalties in the first half to be up 6-5 half way through the first half. Vikings started to then get their mojo on. Isaac Thompson with good ball from Joey Powell started to find defensive gaps and great offloads to his outside backs. There were two yellow cards throughout the game for Vikings, but they still managed to score with 14 men. Uni didn't give up the whole game and will definitely have some good wins this season. Despite what the score line depicts they could be in the top 4 at end of season. Vikings set piece was too strong and forwards set a good platform for good quick ball to back line. Was some nice running tries from both sides. Nice to see some Brumbies and Crusaders at the game.
Vikings Colts were way to strong for uni. Uni lacked structure and aren't as strong as the last few years. Second grade game was a cracker. Entertaining

Istanbul

Vay Wilson (31)
Geez there were some big scores in the colts with Royals putting 70 odd on Wests and Tuggies handing it to unis by running up 90 odd. The Royals v Tuggies Colts game should be a cracker!!

No.8

Phil Hardcastle (33)
Scores from all grades over the weekend -

Premier Division
Uni Norths v Tuggeranong
1s: Tuggeranong 52 Uni Norths 13
2s: Tuggeranong 57 Uni Norths 10
Colts: Tuggeranong 93 Uni Norths 12

Royals v Wests
1s: Royals 31 Wests 20
2s: Royals 21 Wests 17
Colts: Royals 74 Wests 0

Queanbeyan v Gungahlin
1s: Queanbeyan 32 Gungahlin 17
2s: Queanbeyan 28 Gungahlin 26
Colts: Gungahlin 19 Queanbeyan 17

First Division
Uni Norths v ADFA
1s: Uni Norths 34 ADFA 14
2s: Uni Norths 24 ADFA 12

Young v Tuggeranong
1s: Tuggeranong 46 Young 26
2s: Tuggeranong 28 Young 20

Cooma v Royals
1s: 14 all draw
2s: Royals 46 Cooma 7

Queanbeyan v Gungahlin
1s: Gungahlin 32 Queanbeyan 12
2s: Queanbeyan 47 Gungahlin 19

Easts/RMC v Hall
1s: Hall 38 Easts 6
2s: RMC 28 hall 7

Goulburn v Wests
1s: Goulburn 72 Wests 3
2s: Wests 52 Goulburn 8

No.8

Phil Hardcastle (33)
Round 5 Games -

Eagles V Easts

Royals V Uni

Tuggers V Whites

Wests - BYE

Of course the big game of the round - Tuggers V Whites - will be very interesting to see what happens in this game...I would say the Whites will have a few of their injured players back for this clash...

No.8

Phil Hardcastle (33)
The young vs Vikings 1st division 1st grade score is around the other way. Young had its first win for the year 46-26.

Thanks for confirming - I was sure I saw something about Young winning - but was just a copy/paste from what the Brumbies Page posted.

Could be closer than we think when Vikings 3rd/4th Grade play the Whites on Saturday - the Whites had good wins V's Young last week.

Was thinking the Whites 3rd Grade may struggle abit against a strong Vikings side - will be interesting to see.

Istanbul

Vay Wilson (31)
All three games next week could go either way. I'd expect Eagles, Royals and Tuggies to get up but I wouldn't be shocked if any of the games went the other way. When do Tuggies and Royals next meet?

No.8

Phil Hardcastle (33)
All three games next week could go either way. I'd expect Eagles, Royals and Tuggies to get up but I wouldn't be shocked if any of the games went the other way. When do Tuggies and Royals next meet?

They don't play Royals until Round 9 and then again in the last round (17) - the draw is strange this year...trying to work it out.

No.8

Phil Hardcastle (33)
Some write-ups from the Whites website re: the weekend's games -

Tuff Stuff

Captain Ryan Jones led a patched up firsts to a thrilling 32-17 win over Gungahlin at Campese Oval just two weeks after the Eagles beat the Whites at Nicholls.
Jones was a different man in leadership and his performance was only topped by No 8 OJ Noa. OJ does not have Sokai Tai or Tai Valeni to help with the load but Toby Wilson and Ben Leaper stood up as did Mr. Reliable Tom G. Darmody.
Prop Chris Barbaro may have plenty of blisters on his feet but he is the blister that the Eagles could not pop. He led the scrum and the mauls which resulted in a penalty try and a push-over.
The back line had a bit more zip with Zac Tarrant and the worked moves worked. The ever improving winger Nela Moa scored from one such set up. The nervous bit was when Queanbeyan had two in the bin when the score was 22-10. Eagles had Rocky Ilolahia on the paddock and he can play and he can score, which he did.
With the two naughty boys back on and a few substitutes such as JR Morgan, Carl Elliot, Aiden Kenworthy and Tony Tarlinton, the Whites had Moa score and then a penalty to put the game to rest.
The defence was simply outstanding near the line. Fourths won 47-19, thirds lost 12-32, colts lost 17-19 and seconds won 28-26.

No.8

Phil Hardcastle (33)
Spirited seconds

The seconds had to again stop the rampaging Eagles’ back rower Rocky Ilolahia to sneak another close win 28-26. It should have been an easier finish with Angus Balmaks having two penalties disallowed even though both touch judges ruled goals.
Flanker Cameron Stanley scored two tries and suffered 17 life threatening injuries while winger Adam Wise showed he is coming of age with a fine display on the wing and a try. Fullback Balmaks should have had five penalties instead of three and two conversions.
Best were No 8 David Akkersdyk, centre David Kerr and forward Euan McKillop.
Colts have turned the corner over the past two weeks and are showing much more grit. Although they were beaten 17-19 they can hold their heads up for a performance worthy of a win.With Levi Goodwin-Shaw leading the forwards they forced two tries both claimed by hooker Tom Carvolth.
Fullback Aiden Agnew, Toni Fifita and Braeden Smith were among the best.
Fourths put on a show scoring seven tries with five eighth Reuben House converting six to give Gungahlin a 47-19 drubbing. It helps when you have Tim Macnamara hammering away in the forwards and Luke Cochrane on song in the backs.
Wingers Ivan Fifita and Josh Tini covered more territory that Burk and Wills while new centre Fongia Maola is a great gain for the side.
Thirds decided not to tackle and gave the visitors easy points to fall 12-32. Highlight of the day was prop Dave Haskins try. The Centrelink pensioner cannot remember when he last scored but then he cannot remember what he had for breakfast. The moving of Michael Edwards to the forwards is paying off as he looks far more comfortable up there in the dark side.

No.8

Phil Hardcastle (33)
Predictions for the weekend - Round 5

Eagles V Easts - Easts to FINALLY get up - by 5

Royals V Uni - Royals to just get past the Uni boys by 6

Tuggers V Whites - Very hard to pick my heart is saying Whites my brain is saying Tuggers - Lets say Whites by 2 - win the game by a kick last 2 minutes.

Round 5 all teams are now finding their feet - think this will be the round (upto now) of the season with some great games.

As mentioned above Vikings V's Queanbeyan is the clear game of the round and should be cracker - yet to see the Vikings in action this year (only in a trial) and Whites coming off one of the more gutsy performance's in a long time will be full of confidence - BUT saying that I would say there will be afew changes possibly to the side - will the be a positive though or negative?

Royals V Uni should be a solid game - 2 very (I feel) even teams this year - this could possibly show which team is a true contender this year or which one is a possible pretender - if Uni can get a good win then this will build their confidence - but thinking Royals with to much experience in the last 20-30 minutes - will be just to good on the weekend.

Eagles V Easts - Eagles are a gutsy side - who are improved this year but will possibly fade during the season - I am going to go Easts to get up on a close one - Much like Uni if Easts believe they can do something this year then they should use this game as a turning point - they have a tough few weeks after this game playing Whites, Tuggers and then Royals - so they really need to turn the burners on and get the points in this Game V the Eagles.

lockerroom

Frank Row (1)
Predictions:

Eagles to roll Easts (plus 10) in a convincing win, though, as has been the case so far this season, expect Easts to put up a fight and make the Eagles earn the W. Both sides have proved this season they know how to score points, so anticipating some exciting rugby to be played.

Royals to knock over the Owls (plus 10) in a one-sided affair. One side is buoyed by confidence while the other will now be hurting from consecutive defeats - the last being a very physical game which I imagine many will still be feeling sore going into the weekend's match.

Whites to edge out the Vikings (less than 10) in what I agree is the match of the round. The Whites are slowly regaining confidence and consistency as their star players return - while it took a lowly placed side like the Owls for the Vikings to regain their dominant form (so probably not worth reading too much into that win). It may just come down to one point to separate this game, so looking forward to a blinder of a match.

Wests, Easts and Owls are in serious trouble if they lose this weekend, placing them all outside of the 4 - even though it's early days, I think it's fair to say it will be very difficult for them to find the right type of form and consistency to deserve being in the top 4 - that's up for debate of course, but of all the sides in the top 4, the only one risking a form slump are the Eagles and my gut suggests that's unlikely to happen.

bluebags

Larry Dwyer (12)
An extract from the Vikings web regarding the weekends game.

The Tuggeranong Vikings’ first grade team have put on a breakdown clinic to smash Uni-Norths at ANU North Oval.
The visitors conceded the first points after the Owl’s Sam Irwin nailed a penalty kick in the opening minutes of the game. The Vikings didn’t stay behind on the scoreboard for long, with Jake “the Snake” Knight finding space and connecting with Ernest Suavai who scored the first try on the left wing.
The story of the day often reads differently depending on which side of the fence you stand on, but even Uni-Norths players would admit to making too many unforced errors on a sunny afternoon. The Vikings made the hosts pay for their handling errors but weren’t immune to ill-discipline, giving away two yellow cards at different stages of the afternoon.
Vikings prop Sione Taula was sent off for 10-minutes for a high tackle within the first 20-minutes of the game. Irwin narrowly missed the penalty kick attempt, but made up for it moments later when Vikings conceded another penalty.
Tuggeranong scored three tries from the half-way line thanks to clever breakdown work by Iosua Tonga and Ben Hyne. Knight finished off the first when flyhalf Isaac Thompson split two forwards nearly 20-minutes into the game.
The try meant the Vikings regained the lead. The men in red would stay in front for the rest of the match, going into half time ahead 19-points to 6.
The Vikings welcomed back scrumhalf Joe Powell, released from Brumbies duties, for the first time in the season. Powell was replaced by Uni-Norths player Michael Dowsett on the bench for the Brumbies, making it a double blow for the Owls.
Tuggeranong scored almost immediately after half time and then again within a few minutes to stretch the lead to 33-6.
Knight had another opportunity to show his slippery pace deep into the second half when he linked up with Suavai again. Suavai made a break from the Viking’s try line and ran to half way before offloading to Knight who finished the job.
Vikings young guns Tyrell Lomax and Jordan Jackson-Hope missed the game, named in the Australian under 20s team to play in the UK in June. A reshuffle of the backline gave another Vikings prodigy his first start in the top grade – Sam Giltrap making his debut in the number 15 jersey.
Powell was the second Vikings player to be handed a yellow card for the afternoon, on this occasion for a professional foul. He would return to the field but not before the Owls found the chalk for the first time and only time through skipper Dave Bennett.
With the score 45-13, the Owls didn’t give-in to a fast Vikings outfit, particularly the young front row of Isileli Fa, Tom Read and Max Bode – all of whom are 20-years-old. Coach Tim Sampson made a number of changes late in the game and the fresh legs proved too much. The final score, 52-13.
Tuggeranong host the Queanbeyan Whites at Viking Park next Saturday afternoon. Its ladies day and the Vikings will be raising money for injured player Nikki Ayers, in hospital after dislocating her knee in a pre-season trial in March. Tickets are $30 before the game or $40 at the gate to assist in the fund raising efforts for Nikki.

Accidental Offside

Bob McCowan (2)
lockerroom you seem to tip the Owls to get smashed every week, I wonder if you had a bad experience with them at some point? Have shown they can compete this year despite last week's loss (They had a huge injury list).

Gungahlin should get over Easts again but it will be much closer on the scoreboard then last time. The referee of their last game was way out of his depth, making a number of poor decisions. Eagles pack should be too strong for an underrated Easts side. Eagles by 6

Royals and Owls should be an absolute cracker. I expect the two sides to have a great tussle, particularly in the forwards. I think Royals should get up at home but only just. Royals by 3

Tuggeranong and Queanbeyan is always a great clash and expect this week to be no different. The red men should have a bit too much class for the Whites, but Queanbeyan always rises up for this game. Vikings by 7

No.8

Phil Hardcastle (33)
Just saw that Chris Barbaro plays his 100th 1st Grade game this weekend for the Whites - this will be extra motivation for the Whites side as Barbaro has been a rock in the front-row for a number of years - basically since he stepped out of St Edmunds and their fantastic 1st XV led by Dan Penca decided to break the mold and not be drawn in by Vikings and go to the Whites - back in 2007 I think it was when the Whites won their 1st Grand Final in 24 years.

Chris has been playing some great rugby this year - one of the form props in the comp at the moment. If he keeps his form would be interested to see if he cracks the Canberra squad this year.

MonkeyBoy

Bill Watson (15)
Just saw that Chris Barbaro plays his 100th 1st Grade game this weekend for the Whites - this will be extra motivation for the Whites side as Barbaro has been a rock in the front-row for a number of years - basically since he stepped out of St Edmunds and their fantastic 1st XV led by Dan Penca decided to break the mold and not be drawn in by Vikings and go to the Whites - back in 2007 I think it was when the Whites won their 1st Grand Final in 24 years.

Chris has been playing some great rugby this year - one of the form props in the comp at the moment. If he keeps his form would be interested to see if he cracks the Canberra squad this year.

He has been great at the scrum, but I think his lack of fitness and constant "injury" breaks throughout the game would preclude him from selection. It will definitely be and interesting day at the office for Lomax this weekend he won't be able to muscle Barbaro around.

Istanbul

Vay Wilson (31)
Who has got the best scrum this year? QBN has a big backrow and experienced front row. Tuggies always strong but seem to have a few younger guys in the pack. How has Royals fared replacing Jay Cash up front - they always seem to have a solid pack but struggle with depth at times. How are the others shaping up - who is your pick of the packs? I'm leaning towards QBN but this week will be an interesting test.

Status
Not open for further replies.