• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

John I. Dent Cup 2016 - ACT Premier Rugby

Status
Not open for further replies.

Whitehead

Allen Oxlade (6)
Just saw that Chris Barbaro plays his 100th 1st Grade game this weekend for the Whites - this will be extra motivation for the Whites side as Barbaro has been a rock in the front-row for a number of years - basically since he stepped out of St Edmunds and their fantastic 1st XV led by Dan Penca decided to break the mold and not be drawn in by Vikings and go to the Whites - back in 2007 I think it was when the Whites won their 1st Grand Final in 24 years.

Chris has been playing some great rugby this year - one of the form props in the comp at the moment. If he keeps his form would be interested to see if he cracks the Canberra squad this year.

So Chris didn't play in Penca's 1st XV in 2006, he graduated the year before in what was a fantastic 1st XV. Penca's not so much, they got beat by Marist in the final!

No.8

Phil Hardcastle (33)
So Chris didn't play in Penca's 1st XV in 2006, he graduated the year before in what was a fantastic 1st XV. Penca's not so much, they got beat by Marist in the final!

Haha I was close! - I was sure Chris/Penca had played a year of 1st XV together - I know Chris was a year above but in the same age group rugby wise.

It was the 1st time Marist beat Eddies in a grand final in the age group wasn't it?

No.8

Phil Hardcastle (33)
New Stampede is out -

http://d3kax65kav2deu.cloudfront.net/wp-content/uploads/2015/09/Stampede-Round-05.pdf?645be1

Big loss for Easts this weekend will be Abel - in to cover the injured Moore for the Brumbies.

Looks like Pato is out for the Eagles aswell - think he may of injured himself last weekend V Whites.

Tuggers/Whites sides look solid - Whites still missing the below players @Whitehead ; maybe able to shed some light on when these guys will be back - as we all know though what is listed in the Stampede isn't always the line up you see on the day...

Sok
Penca
Mathews
Valeni

Whitehead

Allen Oxlade (6)
New Stampede is out -

http://d3kax65kav2deu.cloudfront.net/wp-content/uploads/2015/09/Stampede-Round-05.pdf?645be1

Big loss for Easts this weekend will be Abel - in to cover the injured Moore for the Brumbies.

Looks like Pato is out for the Eagles aswell - think he may of injured himself last weekend V Whites.

Tuggers/Whites sides look solid - Whites still missing the below players @Whitehead ; maybe able to shed some light on when these guys will be back - as we all know though what is listed in the Stampede isn't always the line up you see on the day.

Sok
Penca
Mathews
Valeni

Sok still a month away
Penca probably another week or two
Matthews two weeks
Valeni won't be playing anytime soon unless he gets day release!

No.8

Phil Hardcastle (33)
Sok still a month away
Penca probably another week or two
Matthews two weeks
Valeni won't be playing anytime soon unless he gets day release!

Cheers mate!

Wasn't aware of the Valeni situation....

Valeni mainly played in the 2nd row last year didn't he? I think Wilson and Leaper are doing an awesome job - Wilson looks like he has put on a heap of size since last year - another player that could push for a Canberra spot possibly.

bluebags

Larry Dwyer (12)
Whites v Tuggers was quite scrappy with a lot of unforced errors , particularly dropped ball. Whites scrum was good. No real standouts although Tuggers Robinson was again heavily involved. Without being to critical, thought Suavai and Ravouvou blew a number of scoring opportunities by not passing to their outside men, often unmarked. Hard to decide however, if Tuggernong were outplayed or just played poorly. Either way, Whites were the better side and deserved the win.

bluebags

Larry Dwyer (12)
A few more details on the Whites/Vikings game...I don't know what the stats would say, but I would suggest that the Vikings had most of the possession, particularly in the 2nd half. Moreover, the whites lost a man to the bin late and the Vikings were unable to put them away. It makes the Whites win all the more gutsy, but Vikings blew a number of try-scoring opportunities. Firstly, Giltrap was unable to control a difficult catch from a Thompson cross-field penalty kick right on 1/2 time. Giltrap then scored from a long range breakout and kick and chase, only to again be denied when it was ruled Ravouvou earlier had his foot in touch. Hitchens later scored under the posts only to be called back.

RoffsChoice

Jim Lenehan (48)
Ended up at Royals-Uni. Pretty expansive first half, with three well worked tries, going into the sheds at 14-5. Second half was reminiscent of the 2014 Reds-Brumbies game where the Brumbies won with only 22% possession; Royals were yellow carded twice, the second just as the first player came back on, and were stuck in their own 22 for about half an hour, but through some heroic defence managed to keep the Owls out. When they did managed to break out, they got right to the Owls line the first time, and won a penalty just past halfway the second (duly converted).

I'm used to seeing the Royals 10 (Pedro Rolando) at 9, and after they subbed off their 9 he switched back there, but he was instrumental to their win, a real calm performance under intense pressure. The Royals fullback was fantastic as well, and both 8s were the main source of line breaks. The Royals scrum and lineout were far superior, and they probably won twice as many pilfers as Owls.

This is also the second week in a row where I'd say the 2nds were a straight up more entertaining game, which is really great to see. I hope it keeps going like this.

I hate to keep being harsh on Dowsett, he's a Brumby, but this is the third time in four weeks that he's been outplayed by his opposite, and it would be four from four if he played against the Vikings. There was a good kick by Royals that he dropped, only for the Owls bench to shout "A better catch than your passing!". His passing is atrocious, and while kicking is obviously his strong point, even that has dropped off. And Cubelli and Frisby have shown how valuable the running game is in Super Rugby, and Dowsett has none. He was outplayed by Ashmore against Wests, Hawke against Queanbeyan, and now Hamlin against Royals. I'm not shocked that Dowsett wasn't even on the plane to NZ, and wouldn't be shocked to see another JID scrumhalf given a chance next year in his place when Dowsett's contract expires this year. As usual, I hope I'm wrong, and want to see him turn it on in the coming weeks, use the bye week to recover some confidence and translate it into performances.

No.8

Phil Hardcastle (33)
Vikings V Whites was a good game - as @bluebags mentioned though it was a scrappy game in parts but I think alot of that was due to the pressure in the game.

Vikings backs not looking sharp at all - like past years - Robinson was solid at 12 - Thompson was good but kicked way to much - def not a smooth performance by any of the backs.

The Vikings forwards were dominated by a pump'd up Whites forward pack driven by Barbs (as you would of guessed) - Barbs himself played really well - Michael Wells was a machine, OJ Noa a rock aswell...all the forwards played extremely well.

My question to maybe @Whitehead is what happens when Penca comes back - does Wells retain the 7 jersey and Penca move to 6 - if thats the case what happens with Sok? or does Wells move to 6 and Penca takes the 7 - and possibly one of the 2nd Rowers (who have been fantastic) are moved to 2nd grade and Noa or Sok move into the 2nd row?

For me - it would be - Noa - 8, Penca/Wells - 6 or 7 (doesn't matter the number they wear on their back) - same 2nd row - Sok to 2nd grade - Sok coming up if Wells is called into the Brumbies - if there are no injuries/suspensions again to the Brumbies boys you would think Wells will be playing club footy all year.

That is going to be a headache - a good one but still a headache...

Another great gutsy win by Queanbeyan.

I do have questions over Vikings back-line this year though and also their overall depth...

P.S I am not backing Easts again...haha

No.8

Phil Hardcastle (33)
Ended up at Royals-Uni. Pretty expansive first half, with three well worked tries, going into the sheds at 14-5. Second half was reminiscent of the 2014 Reds-Brumbies game where the Brumbies won with only 22% possession; Royals were yellow carded twice, the second just as the first player came back on, and were stuck in their own 22 for about half an hour, but through some heroic defence managed to keep the Owls out. When they did managed to break out, they got right to the Owls line the first time, and won a penalty just past halfway the second (duly converted).

I'm used to seeing the Royals 10 (Pedro Rolando) at 9, and after they subbed off their 9 he switched back there, but he was instrumental to their win, a real calm performance under intense pressure. The Royals fullback was fantastic as well, and both 8s were the main source of line breaks. The Royals scrum and lineout were far superior, and they probably won twice as many pilfers as Owls.

This is also the second week in a row where I'd say the 2nds were a straight up more entertaining game, which is really great to see. I hope it keeps going like this.

I hate to keep being harsh on Dowsett, he's a Brumby, but this is the third time in four weeks that he's been outplayed by his opposite, and it would be four from four if he played against the Vikings. There was a good kick by Royals that he dropped, only for the Owls bench to shout "A better catch than your passing!". His passing is atrocious, and while kicking is obviously his strong point, even that has dropped off. And Cubelli and Frisby have shown how valuable the running game is in Super Rugby, and Dowsett has none. He was outplayed by Ashmore against Wests, Hawke against Queanbeyan, and now Hamlin against Royals. I'm not shocked that Dowsett wasn't even on the plane to NZ, and wouldn't be shocked to see another JID scrumhalf given a chance next year in his place when Dowsett's contract expires this year. As usual, I hope I'm wrong, and want to see him turn it on in the coming weeks, use the bye week to recover some confidence and translate it into performances.

I was at the Vikings/Whites game but I don't understand the Pedro at 10 thing - he is one of the form 9's of ACT Rugby - when I watched him play at 10 - it just didn't seem to work very well - then as you said when he switches to 9 he is a different player.

Have to 100% agree with you in regards to Dowsett - I don't like to speak ill of the guy but how he has a full-time contract is beyond me - I can't see them renewing his contract I just HOPE the Brumbies look to the ACT comp to source from and don't out-source again

Whitehead

Allen Oxlade (6)
Vikings V Whites was a good game - as @bluebags mentioned though it was a scrappy game in parts but I think alot of that was due to the pressure in the game.

Vikings backs not looking sharp at all - like past years - Robinson was solid at 12 - Thompson was good but kicked way to much - def not a smooth performance by any of the backs.

The Vikings forwards were dominated by a pump'd up Whites forward pack driven by Barbs (as you would of guessed) - Barbs himself played really well - Michael Wells was a machine, OJ Noa a rock aswell.all the forwards played extremely well.

My question to maybe @Whitehead is what happens when Penca comes back - does Wells retain the 7 jersey and Penca move to 6 - if thats the case what happens with Sok? or does Wells move to 6 and Penca takes the 7 - and possibly one of the 2nd Rowers (who have been fantastic) are moved to 2nd grade and Noa or Sok move into the 2nd row?

For me - it would be - Noa - 8, Penca/Wells - 6 or 7 (doesn't matter the number they wear on their back) - same 2nd row - Sok to 2nd grade - Sok coming up if Wells is called into the Brumbies - if there are no injuries/suspensions again to the Brumbies boys you would think Wells will be playing club footy all year.

That is going to be a headache - a good one but still a headache.

Another great gutsy win by Queanbeyan.

I do have questions over Vikings back-line this year though and also their overall depth.

P.S I am not backing Easts again.haha
I honestly don't know how they are going to fit everyone in.

Sok will have to prove his fitness to get back in the side, a strong performing back row jones has captained the side the last couple of weeks and has got points most games so he might move into the second row although Wilson is such a good player there does the hard yards that a second rower should leaper is a good addition too my guess for the best back 5 of the scrum

Wilson
Sok
Wells
Penca
OJ

Anyone that was at the game yesterday and still thinks oakman hunt is a better back rower than OJ mustn't know much about the game can't believe the brumbies think so

No.8

Phil Hardcastle (33)
I honestly don't know how they are going to fit everyone in.

Sok will have to prove his fitness to get back in the side, a strong performing back row jones has captained the side the last couple of weeks and has got points most games so he might move into the second row although Wilson is such a good player there does the hard yards that a second rower should leaper is a good addition too my guess for the best back 5 of the scrum

Wilson
Sok
Wells
Penca
OJ

Anyone that was at the game yesterday and still thinks oakman hunt is a better back rower than OJ mustn't know much about the game can't believe the brumbies think so

Yea its a tough one - as you mentioned Jones has been one of the best week in week out and captaining the side.

I guess if Sok and Jones move down to 2nd's that 2nd's forward pack is going to be a dominant force.

I guess you have to look at it where you have specialty places in some positions - yes Jones has been fantastic but Leaper and Wilson are out and out 2nd rowers - BUT as you mentioned having Sok in the pack brings in another dimension to the pack and alot of experience.

Good luck to Fahey lol - at the end of the day - he has plenty of options.

I think the Oakman-hunt twins are good club players - but I didn't even notice D.Oakman-hunt on the field yesterday which is saying something - pound for pound OJ has it all over them...

No.8

Phil Hardcastle (33)
Other scores from around-the-grounds -

ACT Club Rugby Competitions Results - Round 5

Premier division
Royals v Uni Norths
1s Royals 17 Uni Norths 5
2s Royals 15 Uni Norths 10
Colts Royals 85 Uni Norths 0

Tuggeranong v Qbn
1s Qbn 29 Vikings 24
2s Vikings 19 Qbn 17
Colts Vikings 24 Qbn 19

Gungahlin v Easts
1s Gungahlin 50 Easts 12
2s Gungahlin 92 Easts 0
Colts Gungahlin 55 Easts 0

First Division

Goulburn v Easts/RMC
1s Goulburn 57 Easts 3
2s RMC 31 Goulburn 0

Royals v Wests
1s Royals 39 Wests 19
2s Wests 49 Royals 7

Tuggeranong v Qbn
1s Qbn 33 Vikings 17
2s Vikings 33 Qbn 0

Hall v Cooma
1s Hall 50 Cooma 21
2s Hall 29 Cooma 17

Young v Uni Norths
1s Uni Norths 18 Young 17
2s Young 31 Uni Norths 24

griffins

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Anyone that was at the game yesterday and still thinks oakman hunt is a better back rower than OJ mustn't know much about the game can't believe the brumbies think so[/quote]

They were both pretty anonymous on Saturday. Only noticeable impact from either of them was OJ slinging Jake Knight onto his head (it didn't look especially malicious).

Whites very impressive without the injured players mentioned above. Wells was outstanding.

Uncle Joe

Herbert Moran (7)
I was at the the Eagles V Easts game and it may sound obvious but Easts were not in the game from the kickoff. They were without R. Abel and Enever but were not in the contest. The only one of their players with any go forward was the lanky fullback. He is about 7 foot tall and made a few good runs albeit only taking a few steps to cover half the paddock. The coach gave it to them after the game, teaching my young sons some new words from the other side of the field. The Eagles were much improved on the game against whites but were not under the same pressure.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)

I can't believe professional coaches in a national setup would think they know better over some one-eyed Queanbeyan supporter......... :p

Maulalltheway

Ted Thorn (20)
I can't believe professional coaches in a national setup would think they know better over some one-eyed Queanbeyan supporter... :p

looking at this guys posts i think he is the head of the Oakman-Hunt supporter club?

The Tuggeranong Vikings link to the UC Vikings is the only reason that those boys are in the frame. Id be very interested in seeing where they sat on the Macdougall medal count over the last 2 seasons. You'd hazard a guess it would be significantly below other backrowers/second rows in the comp. Dan Penca (QBN), Nick Jones (uni), Tai Veleni (QBN).

compare the boys to some of the previous winners.
Staniforth
Rocky
Sok
Cree

these guys (D and M OH) are nowhere near that standard.
Good Footballers no doubt, Solid top graders but not anywhere near the impact needed as an 8 in super rugby. OJ however, is a different story. remember he is also proven in NRC (rebel Rising 2014) without the piggyback of the financiers...

Status
Not open for further replies.