• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

John I. Dent Cup 2016 - ACT Premier Rugby

Status
Not open for further replies.

Istanbul

Vay Wilson (31)
Two hard games in nine rounds and three byes. I'd say that is a horror run going into the finals. No doubt QBN will be headed into finals well rested but I'd much prefer be heading in with a battle hardened team showing good form against quality opposition. That is an aweful run into the finals.

No.8

Phil Hardcastle (33)
Two hard games in nine rounds and three byes. I'd say that is a horror run going into the finals. No doubt QBN will be headed into finals well rested but I'd much prefer be heading in with a battle hardened team showing good form against quality opposition. That is an aweful run into the finals.

In some respect I do agree but the only other side they could possibly play who they may meet in the finals in the Eagles - and if Uni have a good run over the 2nd half of the season it would be uni - so its not like the sides they are playing wont be involved or possibly be involved in the finals.

The draws are spaced where I think it could be an advantage - i.e plenty of rest mid-season - another block of games > acouple of those games could be used to "rest" players or give them less game time > then they have acouple of big games V's Royals/Uni to end the regular season and then the rest again.

For me personally I think that's a good lead up but everyone is different - they have had a heap of hard games the 1st half of the season so fatigue would be creeping in with some players - the 4 game block between Rd 13-16 is key though they need to be able to build the momentum but also manage players recovery leading into the finals.

No.8

Phil Hardcastle (33)
Current Ladder -

1st Grade -

Vikings - 40
Whites - 36
Royals - 31
Eagles - 27
Uni - 20
Wests - 17
Easts - 12

Full Ladder -

http://www.rugbylink.com.au/common/...px?gradeid=18107_1&seasonid=97&entityid=53001

Predictions this weekend -

Eagles V Tuggers - @ Gungahlin Enclosed

Eagles have had abit of a mix and match last few weeks with acouple of wins, bye, loss - but I think they are a side that is building some momentum leading into the 2nd half of the season - Vikings will be strong as normal - abit of a tough one to pick - Vikings by 5

Uni V Easts - @ ANU

Easts will keep up in the 1st 30-40 minutes then Uni will start to get the tries happening - Uni by 30

Whites V Wests - @ Campese

Again much like the Uni/Easts game - think it will be a toughish battle the 1st 30-40 - then Whites will start to get into the swing of things - Whites by 15

Royals - BYE

Out of the woodwork

Allen Oxlade (6)
I think that Queanbeyan will storm home and clinch the minor premiership.
It's going to end up being a Whites vs Canberra Royals decider- in a throwback to 1981.

Uncle Joe

Herbert Moran (7)
Current Ladder -

1st Grade -

Vikings - 40
Whites - 36
Royals - 31
Eagles - 27
Uni - 20
Wests - 17
Easts - 12

Predictions this weekend -

Eagles V Tuggers - @ Gungahlin Enclosed

I think that Eagles and royals should be the other way round. also anyone wanting to go to the Eagles V Tuggies game (which will be a cracker) according to Facebook it is at Nicholls oval not Gungahlin. Last weeks Stampede said Gungahlin.

Out of the woodwork

Allen Oxlade (6)
Yea mate as you said its a headache but a good one to have!

Regarding the 2nd rowers - you have Toby Wilson and and Leaper - both have been playing really good rugby - and have both been very consistent - if I had to drop one and its nearly a pick out of a hat pick - Leaper I guess - but as I said they have both been playing some great rugby.

Then Sok could possibly slip into the back-row. Whites have some awesome centres so I personally wouldn't place him there.

Also don't forgot Jones who has been playing 6/7 while Penca has been injured and has captained the 1st grade side this year - who will be going down to 2nd's.

Whites overall I feel have the best 1st and 2nd grade forward packs and they are only getting stronger as players come back from injury.

As I said I reckon Sok will need to play himself back into the 1st grade side - I just can't see how they can drop - Leaper, Wilson, Penca, Wells or Noa at the moment.

Very keen to see what the line-up is this weekend.

With that kind of depth, the Whites will be tough to knock off in the top two grades come finals.

Uncle Joe

Herbert Moran (7)
Clever play by Dara moving the game out there.
Is Jamie Kotz playing this weekend?

The team will be confirmed tonight I guess but there is no reason he wont be as far as I know. I am hoping that Pat Tuidraki returns from injury this week to give them an additional string to their bow. they will need to score a few tries to beat the vikings.

Istanbul

Vay Wilson (31)
Haven't been too many cold wet weekends this season, be interesting to see who handles the crappy conditions best. Nicholls can be a cold stark place - wouldn't be surprised if Darra ambushed Tuggies out there. Can't see Easts or Wests pulling an upset.

What's the word out of the Lions camp? Always a strong proud club where is it going wrong this year?

No.8

Phil Hardcastle (33)
Haven't been too many cold wet weekends this season, be interesting to see who handles the crappy conditions best. Nicholls can be a cold stark place - wouldn't be surprised if Darra ambushed Tuggies out there. Can't see Easts or Wests pulling an upset.

What's the word out of the Lions camp? Always a strong proud club where is it going wrong this year?

Ah man I hope it doesn't rain tomorrow! Campese is a great place to watch rugby. . . .but not in the rain please.

I sort of have a feeling Eagles could get one over the Vikings this weekend also. . .

Yea would be good to see if anyone has an idea what is going on with Wests - Teams always have good and bad periods but Wests is generally one of the "powerhouse" sides and with 1 win on the board after a half a season something must just not be right. . . bad depth? Bad coaching? Lack of motivation?

I guess some of those questions will be answered when I watch them play the Whites tomorrow - so will keep you updated Istanbul.

Seat Warmer

Frank Row (1)
Ah man I hope it doesn't rain tomorrow! Campese is a great place to watch rugby. .but not in the rain please.

I sort of have a feeling Eagles could get one over the Vikings this weekend also.

Yea would be good to see if anyone has an idea what is going on with Wests - Teams always have good and bad periods but Wests is generally one of the "powerhouse" sides and with 1 win on the board after a half a season something must just not be right. bad depth? Bad coaching? Lack of motivation?

I guess some of those questions will be answered when I watch them play the Whites tomorrow - so will keep you updated Istanbul.

Seat Warmer

Frank Row (1)
I have heard Wests have lost 16 players from last years 1st and second grade squads. Junior teams are less than a quarter of what they were 5 years ago.
So it looks like bad depth, bad coaching and lack of motivation may be the problem.

Istanbul

Vay Wilson (31)
Is Craig Robberds still head coach? I used to love watching him play, geez he was a tough little bugger! A passionate lion through and through who has given so much for the club but it must be hard to keep the enthusiasm up and the program fresh over such a long time.

Out of the woodwork

Allen Oxlade (6)
Plenty of depth @ Dara- Rocky named in 3s.
Good weekend for Royals to have the bye after a hard game at Erindale enclosed last weekend. Whites will fancy winning all grades tomorrow @ Campese- they are building nicely.

Istanbul

Vay Wilson (31)
Darra are the big dark horse here. Whites and Tuggies will battle for the minor premiership and royals are expected to build into the finals but Darra are just ticking along nicely and could surprise in the finals. QBN will be lacking hard games, neither royals or Tuggies could be called a class above at this stage - if Darra get on a roll I see them doing good things!

No.8

Phil Hardcastle (33)
Any scores from today?

Around the grounds -

Premier Division

Gungahlin v Tuggeranong
1s Tuggeranong 20 Gungahlin 5
2s Gungahlin 22 Tuggeranong 8
Colts Tuggeranong 34 Gungahlin 5

Uni Norths v Easts
1s Uni Norths 46 Easts 10
2s Uni Norths 31 Easts 15
Colts Uni Norths 15 Easts 12

Queanbeyan v Wests
1s Queanbeyan 18 Wests 12
2s Queanbeyan 33 Wests 10
Colts Queanbeyan 43 Wests 12

First division

Gungahlin v Tuggeranong
1s Gungahlin 36 Tuggeranong 14
2s Tuggeranong 52 Gungahlin 0

Uni Norths v Easts
1s Uni Norths 36 Easts 5

Queanbeyan v Wests
1s Queanbeyan 31 Wests 10
2s Queanbeyan 32 Wests 29

Goulburn v ADFA
1s Goulburn 14 ADFA 0
2s ADFA 31 Goulburn 7

Royals v Hall
1s Royals 14 Hall 7
2s Royals 17 Hall 0

Cooma v Young
1s Young 24 Cooma 7
2s Young Cooma 7

Women's Division
Tuggeranong 90 Gungahlin 0
Uni Norths 76 ADFA 0

No.8

Phil Hardcastle (33)
Was very tempted to stay in today due to the weather and watch the Shute Shield on TV - but the rain stopped (sort of) and I went down to Campese. . . this game between Whites and Wests was one of the best games I've seen all season - a true tug of war battle between 2 awesome forward packs.

Whites got away with the biscuits today - I just have no idea how this Wests side haven't won more games though - they have an extremely good forward pack and some great backs - maybe they just stepped it up today - I don't know.

Regarding the back-row talk from earlier in the week - Sok came on 10 mins or so into the 2nd half - for Leaper (2nd rower) - Noa moved into the 2nd row and Sok went to 8 - he made a big difference when he game on - I said earlier in the week he would have to play himself back into the 1st grade side - well he has done this in 30 mins of footy.

At the moment I think moving forward the starting pack needs to be -

4. Wilson
5. Sok/Noa
6. Jones/Wells (Wells when avb)
7. Penca
8. Sok/Noa

OR

Do they play Sok in 2nd grade and bring him on as an impact player?

Status
Not open for further replies.