• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

John I. Dent Cup 2017 - ACT Premier Rugby

Status
Not open for further replies.

Istanbul

Vay Wilson (31)
G'day,

I went out to QBN on the weekend and braved the cold. I have to start by saying it was a brilliant game of footy. I think I might have said this last year but that was the best game of rugby I've seen in a long time.

Queanbeyan fought the good fight and starved Tuggeranong for possession (especially in the 2nd half) and were very strong at the breakdown (nothing new there). But in the end Tuggeranong were able to strike late with the little possession they had.

Early it looked like it was going to be a long day for the whites with jake knight scoring two tries in the first 10 minutes. QBN were able to get back into the game through their set piece forcing a number of scrum penalties ultimately resulting in a penalty try and Angus Wagner being sin binned. Wagner was replaced by Taula at Half time which moved Mcgrath over to tight-head this seemed to fix the problem with vikings forcing a crucial tighthead in their defensive 22 midway through the 2nd half.

Queanbeyan lead 20-17 for most of the 2nd half with the Vikings scoring two late tries to run away with the game. Carl Elliot was sinbinned (i'm not sure what for) late which probably assisted with the vikings scoring two quick tries.

Tuggeranong were unbelievable in defense most teams would have leaked 50 with what Queanbeyan threw at them.

There were plenty of good performances but the guys that stood out to me were Swain, Robinson, Mcgrath and Tittor and for QBN Penca (no suprises there), Moseley, White and Sok.

Hopefully the mrs will give me the afternoon off baby duty to watch them play royals on saturday from what i've been hearing royals are still red hot.

Thanks for the report Macka - sounds like a cracking game and seems the Whites won't be making up numbers if they scrape in the finals. That is interesting about Agnus Wagner. I was very impressed with him in a couple of early games I saw but it sounds like he copped a fair towelling on Saturday.

bluebags

Larry Dwyer (12)
Thanks for the report Macka - sounds like a cracking game and seems the Whites won't be making up numbers if they scrape in the finals. That is interesting about Agnus Wagner. I was very impressed with him in a couple of early games I saw but it sounds like he copped a fair towelling on Saturday.

Yeah....thanks macka. Waiting on No8's report as well.
Personally I havent seen a game in ages. Made the mistake of going to a couple of test matchs. Man, you think the wobblies are woeful when watching them on TV, they aint much better live. Think from now on I will stick to watching JID...more entertaining, less frustrating and probably more atmosphere, plus the beer is cheaper

macka_au

Allen Oxlade (6)

They're a good side. They've just had a couple of results go the wrong way. If Saturday is anything to go by they could definetly upset Vikings or royals come finals time.

I was a little surprised to see him struggle he's played well in the games I've watched. He's still young, most of the best props around are older (taula comes to mind and Barbaro in years previous) might just take him another year or two to get the hang.

Brumby Jack

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
I only get out to games every now and then.

Saw Gungahlin v Uni-Norths. Eagles took their chances better than Uni-Norths, simple as that, after it was 12-7 at HT.

bluebags

Larry Dwyer (12)
Tough game to try and dissect at Erindale. Didnt believe that Tuggers would be as passive this time round which was the case, and they came out strong early. There were alot of mistakes particularly from the Vikings, but some good periods of play from both teams. Overall, I thought that Royals were still more confident, skilled and willing to spread the ball, even from their own line. The vikings on the other hand appeared to play a little too one off and couldnt get any real flow on. Credit to the defense of both sides which was pretty dogged particularly Royals.
Overall, Pedro was probably the standout. McInerny and Ngahi were also good and the backs as a group were a threat. For Vikings Swain, Tonga and Vejvoda were busy while Robinson was again Good. I actually cant remember the last time he had a poor game.

Green grass

Chris McKivat (8)
Royals outstanding yesterday. They are the team to beat going into the finals with Muirhead, Staniforth, Sione and Cusack still to come back in.

Istanbul

Vay Wilson (31)
Royals outstanding yesterday. They are the team to beat going into the finals with Muirhead, Staniforth, Sione and Cusack still to come back in.

A little bit of talent between those four! Hard not to be impressed with Wayne Southwell. He built a very strong club in Queanbeyan that still holds up today and he has created depth at Royals that hasn't existed since the 1980's. Royals have put some strong teams on the paddock over the last 20 or so years but it's always been paper thin in terms of depth. I noticed Royals seconds got up on the weekend as well. Colts aren't having a great year but I hear there is a decent bunch of Marist lads on the way next year.

Green grass

Chris McKivat (8)
Not wrong. Mighty blue baggers are going to be very, very difficult to knock off in 1st and 2nd grade. Any word on where J. Felemi has played his footy? Was he a member of either of the Royals colts grand final teams from the last 2 years?

Green grass

Chris McKivat (8)
Wests vs Gungahlin- This will be a high scoring, but tight encounter. Gungahlin by 6.
Queanbeyan vs Royals- Royals to overpower the Whites and win by 10+.
Uni vs Tuggeranong- Tuggeranong will bounce back and win by 20+.

bluebags

Larry Dwyer (12)
Wests vs Gungahlin- This will be a high scoring, but tight encounter. Gungahlin by 6.
Queanbeyan vs Royals- Royals to overpower the Whites and win by 10+.
Uni vs Tuggeranong- Tuggeranong will bounce back and win by 20+.

Just to make it interesting...
Wests by 10
Tuggeranong by 35+
Whites to upset Royals by 3

Green grass

Chris McKivat (8)
Didn't make it out to any games yesterday... Queanbeyan obviously played well to nearly do Royals? No.8 are they back?
Any reports from Jamo? Guessing that young flyhalf played well? Who do we think misses out on the 4?

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Tuned in for a couple of minutes near the end of the Wests/Gungahlin match. Wests were leading 36 - 26 or thereabouts and looked like they had the Eagles' measure over the park. What stood out to me about the Eagles was that a replacement prop, No 17, looked to be the tallest player on the team, even taller than the two locks, who both looked more like back line players than tall timber. Are there few Giraffes out there who can play the game?

bluebags

Larry Dwyer (12)
WESTS 50 bt GUNGAHLIN EAGLES 36
ROYALS 31 bt QUEANBEYAN WHITES 24
TUGGERANONG VIKINGS 35 bt UNI-NORTHS OWLS 5.

Second grade: Gungahlin Eagles 42 bt Wests 12,
Queanbeyan Whites 32 bt Royals 31,
Tuggeranong Vikings 37 bt Uni-Norths Owls 36.
Colts: Gungahlin Eagles 20 bt Wests 0,
Queanbeyan Whites 70 bt Royals 10,
Tuggeranong Vikings 48 bt Uni-Norths Owls 15.

Istanbul

Vay Wilson (31)
Didn't make it out to any games yesterday. Queanbeyan obviously played well to nearly do Royals? No.8 are they back?
Any reports from Jamo? Guessing that young flyhalf played well? Who do we think misses out on the 4?

I think Darra miss the cut. The whites will get there with both the bye and Easts in the run home.

What odds of Royals becoming undefeated premiers? Did Tuggies do that a couple of years back?

Green grass

Chris McKivat (8)
Geez... blue baggers would be short odds I'd reckon. Don't think we've seen an undefeated season for a while.
Wow that'd be rough for Dara in their anniversary year.
Had a look at reserve grade ladder before- quite a logjam there.
No.8 did you get out to Campese for 2s on the weekend or just 1s?

Status
Not open for further replies.