• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

John I. Dent Cup 2017 - ACT Premier Rugby

Status
Not open for further replies.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Any thoughts on whether the reduction in Aussie super rugby teams will have much of a trickle down effect to the JID? With one less avenue to super rugby might we see more talent playing locally seeking a start with Brumbies?

I think so.
The advantage in canberra is that its a very flat pyramid

amirite

Chilla Wilson (44)
Not at all. The majority of Super players come from Brisbane, Sydney and Canberra comps anyway

Your point is not mutually exclusive with the point that you might see more players in Canberra from the axed-state.

I think you would likely see more played taking the Canberra pathway, but probably only 1 or 2, though those 1 or 2 would probably be very talented.

Victorians often took the path through Canberra pre-Rebels, and I imagine if the Rebs are axed that will happen again. WA-bred players, I am not sure about.

Hopefully when a team gets cut the NRC pathway continues to be well run so players don't need to move to Canberra, or anywhere else.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Not at all. The majority of Super players come from Brisbane, Sydney and Canberra comps anyway

my point was that everyone seems to know everyone and there don't seem to be as many layers of bullshit between the first grade clubs - the brumbies runners and the brumbies themselves: much harder to lose track of a player.
Thats my impression from a very brief exposure to the joint.

Whitehead

Allen Oxlade (6)
Interestingly the year that occurred was a particularly bad year for referee abuse, and a year that the judiciary decided that they needed to be firmer on it. The 22 year old referee he sprayed didn't have a fantastic game, on the back of the abuse he received, and it was particularly vulgar he quit refereeing.
Didier is a very nice man off the field but once he crosses the sideline and a switch is flicked . a very different man.
I know I am late on this but that grand final royals lost by about 40 points to a whites team that hadn't lost a game all year, don't think the referee had much to do with the result.

bluebags

Larry Dwyer (12)
I reckon that bye-weeks should be banned...they're not healthy for the psychological well-being of jaded old supporters.

My tips for the resumption of JID....be warned , I picked the Brumbs to get rolled by the Rebs on the w'end so I'm on a roll.

What do you make of Gungahlin?, a good win and a whoop-arsing. Will stick with them however, Gungahlin by 10-15 over a much improved Easts.

Uni showed a bit of spirit against Tuggers apparently after copping a flogging themselves the week before. Wests have had a close loss and a good win. Could be a nice, close one but will go with Wests by 7-10.

Vikings v Whites. At the start of the season this was always going to be the determining match of the year. Now, not so much with Royals the leading light. While the Whites have a good record at Erindale, they appear to have lost a bit of their mojo. The Vikings themselves have not dominated as possibly expected. A tough one but Vikings by 15.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Your point is not mutually exclusive with the point that you might see more players in Canberra from the axed-state.

I think you would likely see more played taking the Canberra pathway, but probably only 1 or 2, though those 1 or 2 would probably be very talented.

Victorians often took the path through Canberra pre-Rebels, and I imagine if the Rebs are axed that will happen again. WA-bred players, I am not sure about.

Hopefully when a team gets cut the NRC pathway continues to be well run so players don't need to move to Canberra, or anywhere else.

Obviously if these players sign with the Brumbies they will have to play JID...........

Otherwise I think most fringe players will go back to the Shute Shield.

Istanbul

Vay Wilson (31)
Obviously if these players sign with the Brumbies they will have to play JID.....

Otherwise I think most fringe players will go back to the Shute Shield.

I would hope that you would see a stronger JID. Five into four will mean a good number of fringe players will shuffle down a level. Without starting arguments about which Rebels/Force players may or may not push current fringe Brumbies back to club land it's fair to say there will be a few local product Brumbies dropping back. Beyond that, both the Force and Rebels have a few players who are either from ACT or have spent time in JID. I hope they all get a start at the remaining 4 franchises, but should they miss out, it would be great to see them back in club colours.

Istanbul

Vay Wilson (31)
I reckon that bye-weeks should be banned.they're not healthy for the psychological well-being of jaded old supporters.

My tips for the resumption of JID..be warned , I picked the Brumbs to get rolled by the Rebs on the w'end so I'm on a roll.

What do you make of Gungahlin?, a good win and a whoop-arsing. Will stick with them however, Gungahlin by 10-15 over a much improved Easts.

Uni showed a bit of spirit against Tuggers apparently after copping a flogging themselves the week before. Wests have had a close loss and a good win. Could be a nice, close one but will go with Wests by 7-10.

Vikings v Whites. At the start of the season this was always going to be the determining match of the year. Now, not so much with Royals the leading light. While the Whites have a good record at Erindale, they appear to have lost a bit of their mojo. The Vikings themselves have not dominated as possibly expected. A tough one but Vikings by 15.

I reckon you are on the money there Bluebags! I think Darra might come back hard and put a bit of a margin on Easts and wouldn't be shocked if Wests ran up a score against Unis either. Think you are on the mark with the margin that Tuggs will roll Qbn by. That is a big game! Qbn would be looking a bit shakey if Vikes give them a towelling.

Istanbul

Vay Wilson (31)
Hard not to be impressed by that Tuggies performance and reasonable to be questioning where the whites are headed this season. For me the game was run and won in the first 30 minutes when Tuggies piled on 19 or so points unanswered. The total dominance of the Vikings tight five was the big difference. Nadruku was very disappointing for the whites - seemed to be seriously lacking fitness and ineffectual. The young colt who replaced him before half time made a difference but having played a game he was always going to struggle to maintain it into the second half. Sok and OJ looked tired and Tuggies easily repelled Soks drives at the line and OJs centre field runs. Penca tried hard but there were 3 better backrowers on the park today.

Both teams will be keen to tidy up line outs as they were nothing short of awful in the first half. Tuggies looked very good. Both locks had huge games and the red men seemed to have found a very good prop to play on the other side of the scrum to Talau. Tonga was probably the pick of the forwards but Hyne was also solid and Oakman Hunt seems to be playing back to form. Henry was a bit of a passenger at times. Tuggies backs were great - Robinson defended well, Giltrap was good at the back and Langtree was sound on debut. Pick of the backs for me was Thompson.

Only round 4 and very early days but a big part of me feels I saw enough today to say I'd be very surprised if Tuggies weren't there on GF day and maybe even more surprised if Qbn were.

Istanbul

Vay Wilson (31)
Just read in the Canberra Times about the injury in the East v Darra game. A suspected broken femur is a shocker! Best wishes to the player and the club. I imagine it would have been very difficult for both teams to care much about rugby after witnessing that injury. Was anyone here at the game?

bluebags

Larry Dwyer (12)
Hard not to be impressed by that Tuggies performance and reasonable to be questioning where the whites are headed this season. For me the game was run and won in the first 30 minutes when Tuggies piled on 19 or so points unanswered. The total dominance of the Vikings tight five was the big difference. Nadruku was very disappointing for the whites - seemed to be seriously lacking fitness and ineffectual. The young colt who replaced him before half time made a difference but having played a game he was always going to struggle to maintain it into the second half. Sok and OJ looked tired and Tuggies easily repelled Soks drives at the line and OJs centre field runs. Penca tried hard but there were 3 better backrowers on the park today.

Both teams will be keen to tidy up line outs as they were nothing short of awful in the first half. Tuggies looked very good. Both locks had huge games and the red men seemed to have found a very good prop to play on the other side of the scrum to Talau. Tonga was probably the pick of the forwards but Hyne was also solid and Oakman Hunt seems to be playing back to form. Henry was a bit of a passenger at times. Tuggies backs were great - Robinson defended well, Giltrap was good at the back and Langtree was sound on debut. Pick of the backs for me was Thompson.

Only round 4 and very early days but a big part of me feels I saw enough today to say I'd be very surprised if Tuggies weren't there on GF day and maybe even more surprised if Qbn were.

Yeah Istanbul, really hard to know what to make of the whites today. They appeared to have plenty of possession and pretty much a similar team to last year. However, they looked simply clueless and appeared to lack any penetration or flair. Hard to single out a standout as the scoreline suggests. Taiwas wellsubdued but he still got a heap of offloads standing in the tackle.

Tuggers on the other hand even had their reserves making breaks and scoring seemingly at will.

Like you, I felt that Oakman-Hunt and Tonga had big games while Thompson controlled the game well. Robinson ...well, does he ever have a bad game?. Giltrap was sharp, particularly in the 1st half. Everyone contributed and their reserve 1/2 played well when he came on and scored a couple of tries I believe.

Istanbul

Vay Wilson (31)
Yeah Istanbul, really hard to know what to make of the whites today. They appeared to have plenty of possession and pretty much a similar team to last year. However, they looked simply clueless and appeared to lack any penetration or flair. Hard to single out a standout as the scoreline suggests. Taiwas wellsubdued but he still got a heap of offloads standing in the tackle.

Tuggers on the other hand even had their reserves making breaks and scoring seemingly at will.

Like you, I felt that Oakman-Hunt and Tonga had big games while Thompson controlled the game well. Robinson .well, does he ever have a bad game?. Giltrap was sharp, particularly in the 1st half. Everyone contributed and their reserve 1/2 played well when he came on and scored a couple of tries I believe.

I think you hit the nail on the head when you said Qbn are pretty much the same team as last year. Obviously stability is good but I get the sense Qbn are stale. I think you need a mix of fresh players coming through to rejuvenate the rest of the team. I think we saw that today with Tuggies - guys on debut and a lot of new faces. I think Qbn need to do some recruiting and freshen a few guys up with a stint in 2s or 3s.

forwards4ever

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Wests - Uni game was a beauty! Seesawing lead, with a heartbreaking try scored by Wests in the 49th minute of the 2nd half! Banks showed some absolute magic scoring an absolute ripper of a try in the 1st half.

Istanbul

Vay Wilson (31)
Wests - Uni game was a beauty! Seesawing lead, with a heartbreaking try scored by Wests in the 49th minute of the 2nd half! Banks showed some absolute magic scoring an absolute ripper of a try in the 1st half.

That's a disappointing result for Unis. How did the second half end up going 49 minutes? Did Wests control it for a thousand phases after the bell or did the time keeper fall asleep?

Status
Not open for further replies.