• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

John I. Dent Cup 2017 - ACT Premier Rugby

Status
Not open for further replies.

yourmatesam

Desmond Connor (43)
Any reports on the trials?

Royals v Harlequins in Albury was a typical trial. Neither team as accurate as I expected but there were a number of changes during 6 x 20min periods. Both were reasonably fit, Royals have some good building blocks there in the front row and a handy 7. Royals young #10 played well early.

Harlequins seemed a little under strength in the front row (neither team strong in the locks) but had a strong back rower wearing #5 and a solid THP. Their second string halfback covered well in multiple positions.

Royals also had a strong islander breakaway Sami maybe?

Royals were deserved winners and good to see them taking in the sights down on the Murray. Also a big wrap for both clubs in their sixth year playing each other in Albury, well done to both clubs, we'll have you back next year!

Seat Warmer

Frank Row (1)
Wests won firsts 3 tries to one. Seconds was two tries each. Unsure of the conversions. Great defence by both sides. Poor handling by both sides.

bluebags

Larry Dwyer (12)
Wests won firsts 3 tries to one. Seconds was two tries each. Unsure of the conversions. Great defence by both sides. Poor handling by both sides.

thanks mate. However, with trials the score means little...more interested in the personal...who was in, who was out, new faces, how they played etc.

In saying that, its encouraging that wests outscored the vikings...lets hope its a close comp again this year.

No.8

Phil Hardcastle (33)
Trial:

Queanbeyan 14 - Vikings 45

Queanbeyan looked a totally different side than last year - player wise and how they played - I know they have a lot of injuries at the moment but the side that played today I can't see them being a title contender to be honest - but only a trial - and could field a totally different side next week.

Also due to injuries Daniel Penca is now playing hooker - Queanbeyan lineouts were a real mess unfortunately

Vikings not really any different than last year, well drilled side - the side they fielded will be their full-strength side - which I guess is a positive for Queanbeyan.

MonkeyBoy

Bill Watson (15)
Trial:

Queanbeyan looked a totally different side than last year - player wise and how they played - I know they have a lot of injuries at the moment but the side that played today I can't see them being a title contender to be honest - but only a trial - and could field a totally different side next week.

Also due to injuries Daniel Penca is now playing hooker - Queanbeyan lineouts were a real mess unfortunately

Vikings not really any different than last year, well drilled side - the side they fielded will be their full-strength side - which I guess is a positive for Queanbeyan.

Except maybe the FR, I'm pretty sure that may have been the 2nd grade FR hence the uncontested scrum sin second grade.

griffins

Jimmy Flynn (14)
No.8Vay Wilson (31)

New

Trial:

Vikings not really any different than last year, well drilled side - the side they fielded will be their full-strength side - which I guess is a positive for Queanbeyan.​

You have a run around for your whites in the lower grade trials No.8?

Charlie Brown

Chris McKivat (8)
For someone who seemed to watch a lot of JID last year you don't appear to be overly observant with fielded teams. Vikings were missing quiet a few players in the trial game against Q'byn. Big Sione was missing, JJH, Oakman-Hunt twins, Jake Knight, Bowden, Callum Smith, Ben Hyne to name just a few. So Vikings are certainly building depth by giving younger boys a run and awaiting some more senior players return.

No.8

Phil Hardcastle (33)
For someone who seemed to watch a lot of JID last year you don't appear to be overly observant with fielded teams. Vikings were missing quiet a few players in the trial game against Q'byn. Big Sione was missing, JJH, Oakman-Hunt twins, Jake Knight, Bowden, Callum Smith, Ben Hyne to name just a few. So Vikings are certainly building depth by giving younger boys a run and awaiting some more senior players return.

Guess your directing this at me?

I think that will be close to a full-strength game day side this year - yes of course there were acouple of players out but not much different to last year in regards to the 1st grade squad.

Sione - not sure if he is playing this year?
Oakman-Hunt twins - not sure where they are?
Jake Knight - not sure if he is playing this year?

Bowden - He was playing on the weekend for the Vikings 1st grade side
Callum - 1st/2nd grader - haven't seen him this year
Hyne - He will be in the Brumbies make-up all year I would say

I totally get what your saying but I think the side on the weekend was pretty close to what we are going to see week in and week out - give or take a couple of guys.

Next to Queanbeyan - which had a totally different front row, 2nd rower who had all of last year off, and a new no.7.

Also nearly a whole new back-line - one of the centres being a back-rower lol.

No.8

Phil Hardcastle (33)
Will be interesting to see if the Fainga'a twins are back this weekend - could be highly likely depending on the injury to Mann-Rea that both could be playing for Queanbeyan this weekend I'm guessing. . . .

Istanbul

Vay Wilson (31)
Interesting to see how the concussion blue card will go this year. Great to see ARU and ACTRU taking a strong position on a serious issue but geez it puts a lot of pressure on the ref. I predict there will be major controversies and conspiracy theories before the season is out. Big call asking a ref to play Doctor. Apart from a player being ruled out for the day who pays the cost for the player to see a Doc to be cleared for future play?

MonkeyBoy

Bill Watson (15)
Interesting to see how the concussion blue card will go this year. Great to see ARU and ACTRU taking a strong position on a serious issue but geez it puts a lot of pressure on the ref. I predict there will be major controversies and conspiracy theories before the season is out. Big call asking a ref to play Doctor. Apart from a player being ruled out for the day who pays the cost for the player to see a Doc to be cleared for future play?

The idea is for the Referee to discuss with the medical staff the hit that the player has taken and any signs and symptoms they have noticed. There was a big presentation on Sunday by Dr Warren MacDonald and will be another on the 17th of April open to all the coaches, referees and team medicos. The only change is the "blue Card" being a visual indicator the referees have always had the role of insisting on removing an injured player. Just means the injury is recorded and must be followed up.
http://www.aru.com.au/runningrugby/PolicyRegister/ConcussionProcedureManagement.aspx

bluebags

Larry Dwyer (12)
Possibly just as intriguing will be the outcome of the red card for any hit to the head. With John Dent again hopefully as close as it was last year, any suspect tackling styles may have a huge bearing on all teams and their position on the ladder

Istanbul

Vay Wilson (31)
Sounds like really positive stuff and I truly do hope all clubs get behind it in the right spirit. We have seen recently in the NRL that concussion decisions are not always made with the players best interests in mind. It really is a fine line. An overly conservative ref can really screw a team over if the star player is outed for being a tad slow to his feet in the first 5 mins. On the other side of the ledger I can imagine a scenario where a results focused club could put huge pressure on a ref to keep the blue card in the pocket. I think it is a really good move and I support it but I will be surprised if it isn't a hot topic of controversy before we are mid way through the season.

BTW - is the stampede out yet? Keen to see weekend line ups (as much as the Stampede can be trusted)

No.8

Phil Hardcastle (33)
Predictions for today:

Round 1:

Tuggeranong V Easts -

Saw Tuggeranong play last week and had a lot of familiar faces from last year so they have kept a lot of their squad together meaning they can improve year on year (or a higher chance of doing so). Have not heard ANYTHING from the Easts camp in the Pre-Season - last time this year they were very active in regards to announcing recruits etc - maybe its a tactic this year to keep everything on the low low. . . they have a cool new jersey at least.

Vikings by 20-30

Queanbeyan V Wests -

Hard game to call at the moment - have no idea what the Queanbeyan side will look like - will we see the likes of A.Fainga'a and Makin in the line up today? As mentioned in my post above the side that played last week were a much weaker side than last year - but once they get a few of their "names" back and players back in position they could still be a title contender. Again same as Easts - I have not heard much from Wests so hard to say what sort of strike power they will have this year - were abit hot and cold last year.

Queanbeyan by 3-5

No.8

Phil Hardcastle (33)
Sounds like really positive stuff and I truly do hope all clubs get behind it in the right spirit. We have seen recently in the NRL that concussion decisions are not always made with the players best interests in mind. It really is a fine line. An overly conservative ref can really screw a team over if the star player is outed for being a tad slow to his feet in the first 5 mins. On the other side of the ledger I can imagine a scenario where a results focused club could put huge pressure on a ref to keep the blue card in the pocket. I think it is a really good move and I support it but I will be surprised if it isn't a hot topic of controversy before we are mid way through the season.

BTW - is the stampede out yet? Keen to see weekend line ups (as much as the Stampede can be trusted)

No Stampede yet! :(

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Seems that some are suggesting the blue card means the end of the match for the player concerned. Is that the case? Not sure it's the way to go if so; many players pass the concussion test after leaving following a head knock and can return to the field. Should the ref be able to in effect over-rule the team Dr?

Of course, it just might indicate a concussion test is required and the process continues as at present. But seems a bit superfluous if that's the case.

Status
Not open for further replies.