• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

John I. Dent Cup 2017 - ACT Premier Rugby

Status
Not open for further replies.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Seems that some are suggesting the blue card means the end of the match for the player concerned. Is that the case? Not sure it's the way to go if so; many players pass the concussion test after leaving following a head knock and can return to the field. Should the ref be able to in effect over-rule the team Dr?

Of course, it just might indicate a concussion test is required and the process continues as at present. But seems a bit superfluous if that's the case.
I think the rorting of the rule by the French suggests a more formal protocol is needed.

bluebags

Larry Dwyer (12)
Predictions for today:

Round 1:

Tuggeranong V Easts -

Saw Tuggeranong play last week and had a lot of familiar faces from last year so they have kept a lot of their squad together meaning they can improve year on year (or a higher chance of doing so). Have not heard ANYTHING from the Easts camp in the Pre-Season - last time this year they were very active in regards to announcing recruits etc - maybe its a tactic this year to keep everything on the low low. they have a cool new jersey at least.

Vikings by 20-30

Queanbeyan V Wests -

Hard game to call at the moment - have no idea what the Queanbeyan side will look like - will we see the likes of A.Fainga'a and Makin in the line up today? As mentioned in my post above the side that played last week were a much weaker side than last year - but once they get a few of their "names" back and players back in position they could still be a title contender. Again same as Easts - I have not heard much from Wests so hard to say what sort of strike power they will have this year - were abit hot and cold last year.

Queanbeyan by 3-5

Always abit of a lottery the 1st few rounds so heres my 10c worth;

Tuggers by 45

Whites by 8-10

No.8

Phil Hardcastle (33)
Queanbeyan V Wests:

1st Grade - 26 - 20 to the Whites
2nd Grade - 31 - 20 to the Whites
3rd Grade - 31 - 12 to the Whites
4th Grade - Forfeit by Wests - Whites get the WIN
Colts - Forfeit by Wests - Whites get the WIN

Lower grades Wests might struggle this year after being pretty strong the last few years - which is sad to see.

They had 6 players rock up for 4th grade.

1st grade was a really good game - 1st half was neck and neck and then early in the 2nd half Whites started to run away with it - with Wests then coming home strong in the last 15 mins. If the game went for another 5 Wests could of got away with it.

Queanbeyan were a much different side than last week - Andrew Smith/JR in the centres really strengthened the backline and No.14 kicked the Whites into a winning position - not missing a shot at goal all day - anyone know where he has come from?

Whites set piece is a little messy - their scrum is terrible - Wests nearly winning a penalty at every scrum - Not sure if Barbaro is not playing or is out at the moment - but they are really missing him - he was the best scrummager in the comp last year - if he is gone that's some big shoes to fill - Queanbeyan had the best scrum by far last year - but today looked terrible.

Wests are much improved - could do some good things this year!

Whitehead

Allen Oxlade (6)
What is the go with Wests forfeiting colts? Heard eats and even Royals are struggling for colts players this year too! Suppose tuggers still think it's a good idea to recruit a colts squad of 45 for 20 of them not to get a game each week, would be better if they were at other clubs to make it a stronger comp again!

No.8

Phil Hardcastle (33)
What is the go with Wests forfeiting colts? Heard eats and even Royals are struggling for colts players this year too! Suppose tuggers still think it's a good idea to recruit a colts squad of 45 for 20 of them not to get a game each week, would be better if they were at other clubs to make it a stronger comp again!

Its abit scary to be honest - and maybe signs of the state of the game on a bigger level in Australia.

I watched abit of 4th grade thinking it might be a good watch - they ended up playing a 10 aside game - with 4 Whites players playing for Wests - 25 min halves, uncontested scrums etc.

Didn't watch 3rd grade - left after 15 mins of 4th grade and then came back for 2nd's/1st's.

Heard Vikings 3rd grade beat Easts like 97-0 - with another report that it was reallt 111-10.

Also on a larger scale in the Monaro comp - Bungendore who were a very strong side last year played with 12 men yesterday V's the Jindabyne Bushpigs.

Harden, Milton and Broulee have dropped out of the Monaro/South Coast comp.

Will be very interesting to see how the lower grades/Colts go this year with the possibility of teams just totally dropping out - and it makes it hard to rebuild that for future years.

I have always been a believer in draft or zone system possibly for Colts - because having a side like Vikings around makes it harder/if not impossible for some clubs to get a colts side together.

Round 1 done and dusted - could be a long season for some clubs. . . . .

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
I have always been a believer in draft or zone system possibly for Colts - because having a side like Vikings around makes it harder/if not impossible for some clubs to get a colts side together.

Round 1 done and dusted - could be a long season for some clubs. . .

Why do kids/blokes want to play for Vikings if there is the opportunity of a start down the road?
Its not like Sydney where everywhere is 2 hours away from everywhere else when it comes to training and traffic.

bluebags

Larry Dwyer (12)
Why do kids/blokes want to play for Vikings if there is the opportunity of a start down the road?
Its not like Sydney where everywhere is 2 hours away from everywhere else when it comes to training and traffic.

Yes exactly mate... I dont believe Tuggers "recruit " a large colts squad as Whitehead suggests. Young blokes tend to stick with their mates and simply make a choice. So the question then is why dont they go to the other clubs knowing they are more likely to get game-time there.

bluebags

Larry Dwyer (12)
Did anyone actually get to the Easts-Vikings game yesterday and can supply a report? I heard that Easts were a greatly improved side on last year and while 43-5 is not tiny, a lot of teams have been dusted like that at some stage.

Like No 8 said earlier, have not heard anything about Easts recruitment, retention etc, so wondering if there were any new blokes with potential. Also, how did the young blokes go for Tuggers

Whitehead

Allen Oxlade (6)
Yes exactly mate. I dont believe Tuggers "recruit " a large colts squad as Whitehead suggests. Young blokes tend to stick with their mates and simply make a choice. So the question then is why dont they go to the other clubs knowing they are more likely to get game-time there.
They do recruit a large colts squad, your argument would have a little weight if they didn't have kids from all over Canberra and then 10 players from Brisbane. Kids go there because they get promised the world, half of them think they are going to be professionals and tuggers tell them they can be!

bluebags

Larry Dwyer (12)
They do recruit a large colts squad, your argument would have a little weight if they didn't have kids from all over Canberra and then 10 players from Brisbane. Kids go there because they get promised the world, half of them think they are going to be professionals and tuggers tell them they can be!

I guess you are more aware of the Vikings setup than me whitehead. I still believe the kids from all over canberra have a choice and if already belonging to a J1D club would get ample advise for or against going Red.
As for the Brissy boys...dont see it as bad that youngsters are encouraged to pursue their dream. I know Tuggers have a great setup but surely they dont pay them... i would hazard a guess then,that it is the closer association between the Brumbies and the JID comp that is appealing. Again, you have to then question why other clubs dont actively recruit young talent in the same manner. Either way, the outcome surely would be that they wont remain if they dont get any game-time.

The Blindsider

Frank Nicholson (4)
Hearing some whispers from some guys out of Canberra grammer that the young flyhallf at royals (harry tysons?) is moving across to wests in search for more game time? Anybody else heard anything? would certainly be a good pick up if it came about...

Christian

Frank Row (1)
Hearing some whispers from some guys out of Canberra grammer that the young flyhallf at royals (harry tysons?) is moving across to wests in search for more game time? Anybody else heard anything? would certainly be a good pick up if it came about.

Would be extremely surprised. Started every trial at 10 for Royals and has been pictured in photo's at their season launch from last week.

Interesting rumours though. Id imagine there is a real fight on for the 9-10-12 positions at Royals and Wests have recruited heavily in key positions.

Christian

Frank Row (1)
I guess you are more aware of the Vikings setup than me whitehead. I still believe the kids from all over canberra have a choice and if already belonging to a J1D club would get ample advise for or against going Red.
As for the Brissy boys.dont see it as bad that youngsters are encouraged to pursue their dream. I know Tuggers have a great setup but surely they dont pay them. i would hazard a guess then,that it is the closer association between the Brumbies and the JID comp that is appealing. Again, you have to then question why other clubs dont actively recruit young talent in the same manner. Either way, the outcome surely would be that they wont remain if they dont get any game-time.

Tuggeranong Vikings DO NOT pay players. They may assist with jobs (potentially paid well for minimal work), accommodation, kit, supplements and the promise of a professional program in which they are often promised the world. Most clubs would work on a similar manner id imagine, but obviously Vikings have a bigger staff base and budget to get the players interested in the first place. These things can be great for some players but opportunity is the big thing and often there has been a heavy turnover of players from Vikings due to the lack of opportunity. See a lot of good players go there and lose interest due to this potentially?

yourmatesam

Desmond Connor (43)
Hearing some whispers from some guys out of Canberra grammer that the young flyhallf at royals (harry tysons?) is moving across to wests in search for more game time? Anybody else heard anything? would certainly be a good pick up if it came about.

Family links to some key members at Royals will keep him there. I'd be very surprised if he jumped ship.

It's actually very surprising to hear that as a rumour.

No.8

Phil Hardcastle (33)

Vikings would have to be the biggest (or top 3) biggest "amateur" clubs in Australia - so I do understand why young guys would be attracted to the club - mix that with Vikings actively recruiting the best players from Canberra/around Australia (sometimes New Zealand) it makes it hard for other clubs to compete - they simply don't have the man-power nor money to match what the Vikings put on the table.

I would like to see a draft system/zone system + a limited number of outer-staters allowed in the colts system - because if a club can pick the cream of the crop from 1st XV in Canberra then a good handful/10 from Brisbane how is that fair on anyother side?

I don't blame Vikings as such because they are simply doing what they can to build a strong club - but there has to be limits around it in someway.

For example why is Harry Tysons playing for Royals (maybe purely due to family connection) but if not why wouldn't he be drawn to Easts its 500m from where he went to school? I know at the moment its not attractive to play for Easts but come on. . .Why doesn't Easts have a relationship with Grammar like Whites have with Eddies for example. . .

No.8

Phil Hardcastle (33)
Doesn't look like Queanbeyan were to impressed with what happened on Saturday either -

From the Whites website:

A mix-up with the substitutes towards the end of the game nearly cost the Whites a first round win against Wests. Queanbeyan hung on to a 26-20 victory after leading comfortably 26-6 before the team was in disarray with players on and off.
It was a poor day for rugby with Wests forfeiting in fourth grade and colts. With players jumping out of their skins to get on the field the opposition failed to respect the home club with very late decisions not to play.
Second grade won 31-20 and thirds 36-12 in a day to be forgotten. Many worry about the future of the Brumbies. Perhaps the powers to be should be worrying about the state of club rugby. It appears that Wests have gone for the jumbo jet approach to field a strong first grade and left the lower grades lapse.
First grade winger Angus Le Lievre kicked perfectly with two penalties, four conversions and adding one try for 21 points. Fullback Mitch Douch was the only other scorer after Andrew Smith made the break and Douch was good enough to finish it. Douch was a danger all day and fullback gives him the freedom to run. The combination of Smith and Keith Morgan was a dream.
Soakai Tai and Ryan Jones were invaluable in the forwards but both were off with 17 to go. Please explain.
Third grade scored six tries with Daniel Naef, Adam Wise and Tom Coffey among the best. Their old and bold coach Michael Dyer must have been pleased with what he has at his disposal. Wise, Balmaks, McRoberts, Tony Fifita and Ben Pattenden give you plenty.
Seconds are always the well prepared and presented side. Five eighth Danny Matthews just directed them around the field with Jamie Marmont providing the experience and energy. The hard working Dylan “Mullet” Jancesvki , fullback Riley Ahern and the most consistent Josh Townsend amongst the best.

No.8

Phil Hardcastle (33)
On another note - any idea where Anthony Fainga'a is (I know their father died) but Saia was back for the Brumbies on Saturday.

Guessing Saia and Anthony have been allocated to Queanbeyan?

Could we possibly see a backline of -

9. White
10. Chalker
11. Smith
12. Morgan/Fainga'a
13. Morgan/Fainga'a
14. Le Lievre
15. Douch

That would be pretty impressive - combine that with a backrow of Tai/Penca/Noa - pretty interesting side . . .

MonkeyBoy

Bill Watson (15)
Seems that some are suggesting the blue card means the end of the match for the player concerned. Is that the case? Not sure it's the way to go if so; many players pass the concussion test after leaving following a head knock and can return to the field. Should the ref be able to in effect over-rule the team Dr?

Of course, it just might indicate a concussion test is required and the process continues as at present. But seems a bit superfluous if that's the case.

as there is no HIA below the professional professional level in Australia that is exactly what it means. It will be made in conjunction with the medical staff

ACTRugbyInsider

Stan Wickham (3)
Easts Colts Squad looked the goods but noticed a few players were missing like Nick Saunders, Ethan Zissler, Jacob Abel (first grade this year maybe?) Kelepi Baba, Neil Haron, Oliver Clinch, Andrew Whittle (injured?) Plus a few imports ive noticed Lolotonga brothers and Simon Aiono

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.