• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

John I Dent Cup - Canberra Competition -

Status
Not open for further replies.

angrydog

Jimmy Flynn (14)
I wouldnt agree that there ever were scouting channels from the Waratah shield. The best players from schools like these and the clubs went and played locally in the club scene and if they were good enough they progressed from there. Some went to Sydney from school but the majority stayed in Canberra as it had a good enough reputation that it was not impossible to gain selection for higher honors from that competition. As has been discussed, this no longer happens due to the weak state of both the junior levels and local senior competition in its current form. Some notable characters to coach at St Edmunds and the Australian schools teams may account for the high levels of representation of boys from that school in the Aussie Schools sides, even a one eyed Eddies supporter would probably agree with that.

yourmatesam

Desmond Connor (43)
The really sad and ironic part of all of this is that it has now taken a new coach at the Brumbies to finally act and try and salvage the ACT comp from the state it it in when in truth they could be blamed for letting it get that way. Right from the outset the Brumbies treated the local comp like it a piece of rubbish and it was tarnished with the tage 'club land' which represented an inferior group of players to those who were part of either the highly esteemed Canberra Kookaburras or the even mightier Brumbies. When the Kookaburras were thrown out of Sydney, the Brumbies and any one else who could have seen the writing on the wall ignored the signs and continued to neglect the Canberra comp and instead channel young players to Sydney and Brisbane. Whether this neglect may also be attributed for the terrible decline in standards of the junior ranks of ACT rugby is debatable....None the less it does seem appropriate that the Brumbies be the ones who try and strengthen the Canberra comp again after letting it rot for so long.

Ever heard the NSW or QLD organisations refer to their club scene by anything other than "Club Land"? This is a universal term to describe anything outside the elite programs run by each and every franchise.

There are plenty of players who have come through the ACT juniors system that have gone on to other things for a wide variety of reasons. As in life, there are peaks and troughs as far as performace goes and the ACT juniors/schools are experiencing this at the moment, QLD are on their way out of one at present - that's just the way it goes, you can't be at the top of your game forever.

angrydog

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Ever heard the NSW or QLD organisations refer to their club scene by anything other than "Club Land"? This is a universal term to describe anything outside the elite programs run by each and every franchise.

There are plenty of players who have come through the ACT juniors system that have gone on to other things for a wide variety of reasons. As in life, there are peaks and troughs as far as performace goes and the ACT juniors/schools are experiencing this at the moment, QLD are on their way out of one at present - that's just the way it goes, you can't be at the top of your game forever.

I will take your word about club land being a universal term. As far as peaks and troughs and all that kind of thing I agree with you. My criticism is not leveled at the players in the ACT comp and their personal levels of success but simply at organisations such as the Brumbies who have treated the ACT comp as a toilet. As far as the schools/junior comp being in a trough I am can only say that from what I have seen in recent years it is very deep one and the quality of players just is not there. If a player of talent emerges, inevitably they seem to only come out of Eddies (possibly on a music scholarship or something similar) or Marist and compared to the kids from other states they usually seem quite raw still and along way off being ready for a professional environment. Before I get any flak about the other clubs/schools turning out Aussie schools players, I agree there have been some in recent years but again they are very raw and not in the league of kids from the rival states. As I mentioned earlier, the Faiingas would probably be the last I can recall that seemed to have the presence about them upon leaving school. Having a weakened club comp is not helping to develop these players.

lincoln

Bob Loudon (25)

Bottom line is numbers - Canberra has a small population - last year's U18 comp had 21 teams - ie less than Joeys and Shore combined. Anglo parents choose AFL, hockey or football for their boys rather than rugby against man children, denuding the likelihood of a late grower emerging. For twenty odd years the Capital punched above its weight helped by a few freaks. Sure these phenomena go in cycles but difficult when you have other states now emerging that will impact where talent ends up.

bigtoughguy

Stan Wickham (3)
anyway back to the thread topic.... now that clubs hav started training, how r they all looking player wise?? how r easts and royals looking

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
Players should play for the club team of their choice - one of the great things about club rugby.

Shute sheild is a quality 3rd tier, that said, there is always room for improvement. What about a real 3rd tier comp that club rugby has an interest in, and visa / versa. Not the crap that was tempted a couple of years back, get club rugby interested and involved on "game day" and share the venues around.

NSW (below), QLD (?) ACT (below) forming a third teir with club rugby being the curtain raiser.
NSW
1. The old North Harbour (grade & colts), V
2. The old South Harbour, (grade & colts), origin.
3. NSW Country, (grade & colts),
4. ACT Kookaburra's (can they field 2 rep teams? Grade & Colts).
QLD - not sure if they had an old structure lik the above, could they field 4 teams

Just a thought, BUT, and the end of the Super season - let the players play for the club of their choice.

Cheers,

bigtoughguy

Stan Wickham (3)
if we could stick to the thread topic and not include stupid posts please Davey... anyway back to the thread topic.... now that clubs hav started training, how r they all looking player wise?? how r easts and royals looking

Empire

Syd Malcolm (24)
Easts should be stronger across the board this year. Only way is up. Both Vanderglas' should play this year apparently.

Be interested to see what happens at Vikings. Lots of Kiwi's at the ACT XV turning up courtesy of Vikings money. Hate to be a second grader there - not a club that really promotes from within.

Empire

Syd Malcolm (24)
The Kiwi's aren't on that list - as they have never played locally. The Vikings have pulled some strings to allow them to attend the ACT XV trainings. Something that doesn't sit well with some who were selected through the proper channels.

angrydog

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Does anybody know if Tyler Stevens is returning to Canberra. I read somewhere he was leaving Parramatta but it did not say where too? I hope this is on the topic enough for those who were so greatly disturbed.....

yourmatesam

Desmond Connor (43)
The Kiwi's aren't on that list - as they have never played locally. The Vikings have pulled some strings to allow them to attend the ACT XV trainings. Something that doesn't sit well with some who were selected through the proper channels.

Vikings are a shit club with HEAPS of money. That's fucked. Money talks in the 'Berra, maybe they should be the Brumbies major sponsor? They could fund all of the Brumbies Community Rugby initiatives on their ear.

Brumbies Guy

John Solomon (38)
Does anybody know if Tyler Stevens is returning to Canberra. I read somewhere he was leaving Parramatta but it did not say where too? I hope this is on the topic enough for those who were so greatly disturbed.....

Back to Queanbeyan I'd guess.

Does anyone know if Vili Iongi is playing for them again this year?

Empire

Syd Malcolm (24)
Vikings are a shit club with HEAPS of money. That's fucked. Money talks in the 'Berra, maybe they should be the Brumbies major sponsor? They could fund all of the Brumbies Community Rugby initiatives on their ear.

Correct. As a ACT schools age rep/1st grade at St. Edmunds, the pestering from Vikings was incessant. However, there is no soul at that club - all merchants, no heart (Unlike Reza Almasi, Jack Vanderglas et al, for example. Other clubs have their stalwarts who could have traded it in for park footy cash).

That said, they contributed towards the costs for our 1st grade coach - but I suppose 'not for profit' pokie money has to go somewhere. They could be doing huge things for the ACTRU, but seem very short sighted...

Empire

Syd Malcolm (24)

Word around the ex-St Edmunds boys is he will play for QBN in 2012. Unless Vikings pull out the cheque book, he will be with the Whites.

Empire

Syd Malcolm (24)
Back to Queanbeyan I'd guess.

Does anyone know if Vili Iongi is playing for them again this year?

My money would be on Iongi playing overseas (France), as his world cup exposure and selection would mean he could land himself something worthwhile.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Correct. As a ACT schools age rep/1st grade at St. Edmunds, the pestering from Vikings was incessant. However, there is no soul at that club - all merchants, no heart (Unlike Reza Almasi, Jack Vanderglas et al, for example. Other clubs have their stalwarts who could have traded it in for park footy cash).

That said, they contributed towards the costs for our 1st grade coach - but I suppose 'not for profit' pokie money has to go somewhere. They could be doing huge things for the ACTRU, but seem very short sighted...

Vikings lose a lot of kids to St Edmunds... so I don't feel too sympathetic...

All the stuff about no soul etc is just utter rubbish.

Empire

Syd Malcolm (24)
No soul? Perhaps in the 90's.

It's embarrassing going to post match functions with Vikings, no one from Vikes ever turns up. And besides, having had many mates play there (Vikes and Viqueens) I've had a fair look.

To leave a club for a year or so, come back and literally know nobody in 1sts or seconds says something to me.

St Edmunds is a school, Vikings is not, so not sure how that is relevant. Vikings certainly get who they want from the schools either way. Money talks.

Status
Not open for further replies.