• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

John O'Neil New Chairman for Echo.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bruce Ross

Ken Catchpole (46)
If JO'N goes, then who should replace him?

So far only David Gallop has been mentioned. Are there any other possibilities?

You're actually onto something here, HJ, except that you're not joining the dots correctly. Your question as to who should replace JO'N if [when] he goes is hardly worth answering. The position is on offer to Totality Tony McGahan should he consent to take it. There is a bit of a work-through going on at the present time with TT assessing whether he could combine Robby's and JO'N's roles and still enjoy a leisured Sydney lifestyle. Thus far all the indicators are positive.

You mention David Gallop but with the utmost respect you have got the direction of movement completely arse-about. My mail - and it's totally reliable - is that Gallop was garbage-bagged out of the NRL specifically so that our man O'Neill could be shoe-horned in. The mungoes were massively impressed by the work that JO'N did in setting up the A-League during his short sojourn with Australian soccer. Perhaps John's most significant achievement there was in persuading his billionaire Chairman Frank Lowy that he should award the sole franchise in Sydney to Lowy's son. There were some snide suggestions of nepotism at the time, the theme being how could you possibly fuck up a monopoly sporting franchise in a wealthy city of five million people - but of course the Waratahs have since shown just how easy it is.

The A-League has of course since gone from strength to strength, in common with all of JO'N's other initiatives.

John%20O'Neill%20cropped.jpg

When he assumes command of the NRL even I will take a keen interest, not of course in the actual games, but fascinated by the thought of the very patrician O'Neill being summoned from the royal bedchamber in the early hours on sundry nights of the week to hear of the latest escapades of the code's legion of midnight ramblers.

Rugrat

Darby Loudon (17)
I didn't protest Jon being a non executive director of other companies I questioned his on going role as CEO on becoming chairman of Echo. There is a significant difference in the roles otherwise there would not be a need for an increase in directors fees for chairman over a non executive director. The question I would like to ask the chairman of the Aru board is "did Jon as an employee of the ARU ask and receive approval from the Aru board to take on this expanded role at Echo" and was in giving this approval any thought given to the time that this role would take and the effect that it would have on Jon's ability to continue on as a fulltime CEO particularly when he alread sits on other boards currently in addition to Echo. Jon has clearly stated that he will not be staying on as CEO when his contract expires when he was questioned on reappointing Deans after the Lions tour. Not looking to shaft Jon early just to be petty, just don't see why the Aru should continue to pay someone a full time wage for a service they no longer provide full time.

HKTiger

Allen Oxlade (6)

The Brett Stewart incident was a pretty bad one in that Stewart was so drunk he can't even remember what happened, but the NRL stood him down and eventually he was found not guilty. I don't think the NRL handled that badly. They also came down hard on the Manly club for allowing their players to get so drunk at an official function.

Sorry for not having the link, but the refuting of the Brett Stewart incident, reported in The Age:
- Brett Stewart - not drunk
- No contact with the young lady whatsoever
- In fact evidence that Stewart was stalked and set up.
- Evidence that the police leaked lies
- Evidence that the press reported lies as fact to create/spin on a scandal

Not much credibility in the anti-Stewart stuff after all that.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
After reading the full story the SMH aired recently about the father essentially being a conman and how much of the original story aired in the press was full of lies and half truths, it is clear that Stewart was stitched up. His reputation has been shattered by a conman.

I still think the NRL was right in standing him down initially though. Given they were going off the same misinformation that the rest of the public was and the serious criminal charges laid against Stewart, I don't think they had much choice.

Budgie

Chris McKivat (8)
What is John O'Neill doing now? I have heard nothing him rugby wise for a long time.

While the CEO should not be in the papers all the time, you would expect that he would be there from time to time promoting Rugby and the ARU.

suckerforred

Chilla Wilson (44)
What is John O'Neill doing now? I have heard nothing him rugby wise for a long time.

While the CEO should not be in the papers all the time, you would expect that he would be there from time to time promoting Rugby and the ARU.

Wait until we win something. Then he will make an appearence...

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Timely bump for this thread.

Wouldn't be surprised to see JO'N's snout in the Olympics trough at the moment to jet home just in time for the Bled 1 corporate largesse.

About time to liberate the 1998 Grange from the ARU drinks cabinet.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Timely bump for this thread.

Wouldn't be surprised to see JO'N's snout in the Olympics trough at the moment to jet home just in time for the Bled 1 corporate largesse.

About time to liberate the 1998 Grange from the ARU drinks cabinet.

A fact finding mission ahead of the introduction of Rugby Sevens at Rio 2016 would be pretty important.

If the ARU hasn't sent at least half a dozen people on a junket to London I'll be surprised and disappointed.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
A fact finding mission ahead of the introduction of Rugby Sevens at Rio 2016 would be pretty important.

If the ARU hasn't sent at least half a dozen people on a junket to London I'll be surprised and disappointed.
I would be flabbergasted if the IRB had not scheduled a series of meetings at around that time.

Status
Not open for further replies.