• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

July Internationals 2023 - matches not involving Australia

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
That try was good. SA starting to do what SA do. NZ need to adjust.
Only for a fleeting moment. The rest of the time they have been doing what Wallabies do - falling off tackles, missing kicks for touch, throwing balls 3 ft in front of or behind the receiver, etc

zer0

Jim Lenehan (48)
Good test match. Disappointing to fluff around and concede the late try. Really hope Roigard gets an extensive run as the second halfback, and that the attack can be sustained into the second half. Otherwise the first quarter was great and did well to withstand the pressure from the stacked Bokke bench.

Savea and Etzabeth both seemed relatively quiet given their statures and the occasion.

Last edited:

molman

Peter Johnson (47)
Only for a fleeting moment. The rest of the time they have been doing what Wallabies do - falling off tackles, missing kicks for touch, throwing balls 3 ft in front of or behind the receiver, etc
I was referring more to the overall tempo and style of game. SA pulled the game into a real stop start grind that suited them a lot more than that openning quarter by the AB's, but yes, not clinical by SA.

Dismal Pillock

Simon Poidevin (60)
1st 25 mins:

prophecy.png

Dismal Pillock

Simon Poidevin (60)
NZ XV vs Japan Xv Rd II

Another easy enough win for NZ but not many here will be troubling the 1st's. Perofuture and Akira went well enough but for me the only 2 over the 2 weeks who I would promote:

Billy Proctor: straight swap for Ennor. Come on Fozzie, you know it makes sense.
Barkays Fakatava: get shot of Ranga Christie, just get this guy in there damnit.

Shiggins

Steve Williams (59)
What drugs are they smoking in NZ? Colbe clearly scores the try and it's a knock on? Etsebeth looks to score, Ball comes back, one pass and they are in, that french ref who shouldn't hold any whistles ever stops play and the tmo calls a poxy neck roll 2 rucks ago that isn't even a a neck roll, soft as anything.
And what's with players holding peiple up, looking at the ref, as soon as they call maul they collapse it ? Hahah.

Last play the all black players are all offside and try and steel the ball. Penalty all day
Neutral watching this game. It should have been much closer than it was.

Clearly the boks team who played the wallabies were stronger. The subs proved that.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
NZ XV vs Japan Xv Rd II

Another easy enough win for NZ but not many here will be troubling the 1st's. Perofuture and Akira went well enough but for me the only 2 over the 2 weeks who I would promote:

Billy Proctor: straight swap for Ennor. Come on Fozzie, you know it makes sense.
Barkays Fakatava: get shot of Ranga Christie, just get this guy in there damnit.
Agree on Proctor was bloody good DP, thought Goodhue looked like he would be ok as bench player for ABs too. Enjoyed the game. looked a touch warm etc.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
I also hate that test rugby still allows the defending halfback to be such a negative pest at the scrum. Pls make the Super Rugby law universal.
I like it mate. I don't like 9s getting too easy a ride, mind you I was a forward and think the little pricks get too much protection!!!;)
By geez I enjoyed that test, proper AB/Bok test, thinking both teams be happy no game this week. It was brutal, the kind of match only these 2 teams seem to come up with an awful lot.

KiwiM

Nev Cottrell (35)
Well well - that was a vintage ABs performance.

It reminded me a bit of 2010 ABs vs Boks at Eden Park after a rough 2009.

The pack is really humming and much better play in the backs with a direct 12 and 13 complemented by good kicking mostly.

Quite astonishing how well Frizell played - playing like Tarzan and not Jane.

A better bench performance this week by the ABs which was needed as the Boks had turned the momentum early in the second half.

Clarke's days look numbered with Telea showing promise in 11, Leicester still to play and Narawa having experience in 11.

Beaudie playing well at 15 for ABs and Perofeta playing well at 10 for AB XV and Leon stubbornly had them playing the other way around. Beauden a much better fullback than 10.

Jordan is something else - oozes class. Possibly his best ever test which is saying something.

Equalizer

Phil Hardcastle (33)
Great game. Was there any outcry over the Haka and the throat slit at the end of it. After the mass hysteria of the Ardie Savea incident in the Rebels game. Any children traumatised in NZ over this?

Oz media and the commentators not commenting today? Backing up their stance.....mmm I think not.

Dismal Pillock

Simon Poidevin (60)
Feels like the attack has largely reverted to the punishing Foster kick-and-hope, with the expected results :(
Yeah I'm more skeptical than @KiwiM about the test..... AB's soon reverted to static backline hot potato just hoping Telea or Jordan would waltz through the defensive wall after the radio rental opening 25 mins

Horribly, it was a dreaded Barrett crossfield kick that actually came off that seemed to get them back in the groove again? Good luck relying on that highwire shit to come off when you're under the kosh and half-choking at RWC vs Ire or Fra.....
Great game. Was there any outcry over the Haka and the throat slit at the end of it.
Seemed to work, the opening salvo was 25 mins of hellfire hell & awe.

Maybe they should open the 2nd half with a haka too.

And maybe, if they're flagging, add a haka after each 20 minute spell of play.

Like a drinks break.

But a haka break.

That should go down well with the the foreigners.