• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Kiwi hate vibe is marring World Cup

Status
Not open for further replies.

MajorlyRagerly

Trevor Allan (34)
Fresh back after a week in NZ.

Whole thing is a media beatup, nothing more nothing less. Those of you that suffered abuse, I'm sorry for that. Shit happens, it's not good, but it's a sport we are passionate about, will remain passionate about, and passion + alcohol can lead to things going over the top. I must say though the biggest outburst I saw which threatened on violence was actually from my aussie mate who I went to aus vs eire with ... against Kiwis who were dressed up as Irish, supporting the Irish. The Kiwirish gave him a hug though and all was over.

Seeing a whole bunch of Aussies everywhere witht heir GAGR sponsered stubby holders about drinking when McCaw is offside doesn't help though. Neither does dolling up your campervan to with paraphenalia about how the AB's are chokers either. Both things I saw multiple times. Banter, yes sure.... but you are asking for it, if you ask me, to a certtain extent, what you reap is what you sow.

In summary, some kiwi's need to chill the fark out, and some aussies need to harden the fark up. The stereotypes of kiwis being chippy bastards, and aussies being shit givers who can't take it back was witnessed a few times... but were far far and away the minority.

MajorlyRagerly

Trevor Allan (34)
I'd be fascinated to hear the nature of the wit involved in "giving it back".
Anyway my spies tell me that the K1W1's are gloating that, having seen off France, they have won the world cup.

Exactly. Your already suggesting that it's the kiwi's fault due to lack of wit in giving it back. Here's a sample:

AUSSIE: "Come on lads, just choke already and put yourselves out of your misery"
KIWI: "15-6 to the Irish wasn' it"
AUSSIE: "You weren't even f***ing playing and look at you on the f**king bandwagon.. if your team was any f**king good ......."

First 2 sentences, clearly banter... third... I don't think so...

Your gloating sentence is a complete lie to, from somebody - perhaps yourself. Just came back from there and that opinion is not held by one single person.

On the back of Barbarians post below, just to re-iterate... this sort of thing was not the STANDARD. It was the vast vast minority.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
So after this whole discussion is ended on the point that these actions are carried out by a very small minority, and provocative generalisations are not helping the situation one iota, you come out and say that IS?

Your spies are telling you the kiwis think they have won the world cup?

Really?

teach

Trevor Allan (34)
Don't get stressed when you see Kiwis supporting the underdogs. We have embraced the whole concept of the tournament. Look at the england games. In the cheap seats are the same groups of scarfies who have supported Argentina, Georgia now Romania. It's fucken awesome and we are loving it. It's like the 7's tournaments.
I have been to 4 games now. its great. I have cheered for Georgia twice, the Argies and the Romanians. I dont hear the poms moaning about a lack of support.
I really shouldn't respond to this thread because it is bound to get a reply from someone who honestly believes that Deans is an NZRFU mole and ......ahh fuck it.

Richo

John Thornett (49)
It's awesome. Loved seeing all the shops and bars and cafes with those "We've picked a second team" signs. Top stuff, NZ.

MrTimms

Ken Catchpole (46)
I dont hear the poms moaning about a lack of support.

I honestly don't think it is "Australia" moaning either. There were a couple of shit things that happened, and the Kiwi press love to play up negatives. So instead of letting it go and focussing on the great tournament that is happening, it has become an issue.

I am having no issues, The Aussies I talk to are having a good time, the Kiwis I talk to are great. I walk around wearing plenty of aussie kit and short of one hotel calling immigration, I just get to talk rugby all day every day, it is great.

Let the negative press fill their inches, but don't take it personally.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
So after this whole discussion is ended on the point that these actions are carried out by a very small minority, and provocative generalisations are not helping the situation one iota, you come out and say that IS?

Your spies are telling you the kiwis think they have won the world cup?

Really?

A friend arrived back at work today from NZ and said that the consensus is that having seen off france they're right to win it...whats (a) so wrong with that or (b) so unlikely

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
:fishing
Don't get stressed when you see Kiwis supporting the underdogs. We have embraced the whole concept of the tournament. Look at the england games. In the cheap seats are the same groups of scarfies who have supported Argentina, Georgia now Romania. It's fucken awesome and we are loving it. It's like the 7's tournaments.
I have been to 4 games now. its great. I have cheered for Georgia twice, the Argies and the Romanians. I dont hear the poms moaning about a lack of support.
I really shouldn't respond to this thread because it is bound to get a reply from someone who honestly believes that Deans is an NZRFU mole and ......ahh fuck it.

So will they support us when we're the underdog?

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
A friend arrived back at work today from NZ and said that the consensus is that having seen off france they're right to win it...whats (a) so wrong with that or (b) so unlikely

Well you have just painted a whole nation of people as arrogant jerks because of what your mate said. And unlikely because the fact that a few NZ posters have specifically said that is not the case, not to mention the fact that I know quite a few kiwis and after two decades of RWC disappointments they are deliberately not getting too excited.

Groucho

Greg Davis (50)
Fresh back after a week in NZ.

Whole thing is a media beatup, nothing more nothing less. Those of you that suffered abuse, I'm sorry for that. Shit happens, it's not good, but it's a sport we are passionate about, will remain passionate about, and passion + alcohol can lead to things going over the top. I must say though the biggest outburst I saw which threatened on violence was actually from my aussie mate who I went to aus vs eire with ... against Kiwis who were dressed up as Irish, supporting the Irish. The Kiwirish gave him a hug though and all was over.

Seeing a whole bunch of Aussies everywhere witht heir GAGR sponsered stubby holders about drinking when McCaw is offside doesn't help though. Neither does dolling up your campervan to with paraphenalia about how the AB's are chokers either. Both things I saw multiple times. Banter, yes sure.... but you are asking for it, if you ask me, to a certtain extent, what you reap is what you sow.

In summary, some kiwi's need to chill the fark out, and some aussies need to harden the fark up. The stereotypes of kiwis being chippy bastards, and aussies being shit givers who can't take it back was witnessed a few times... but were far far and away the minority.

On the weekend two friends of mine - a couple in their 40s - had beer thrown on them while they were walking in their Wallabies kit on the street in Auckland. This is a relatively minor thing, which can happen anywhere in the world, but it has left them with a very negative impression. Telling people to harden the fark up might apply on the internet, but it certainly shouldn't apply to middle aged people quietly enjoying themselves at a rugby tournament. If tourists need to harden the fark up then there is certainly something amiss.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Well you have just painted a whole nation of people as arrogant jerks because of what your mate said. And unlikely because the fact that a few NZ posters have specifically said that is not the case, not to mention the fact that I know quite a few kiwis and after two decades of RWC disappointments they are deliberately not getting too excited.

Whatever

Tangawizi

Peter Fenwicke (45)
It really is just terrible over there...

I mean just look at these 2 Kiwi girls - dressed from head to toe in the US colours...

And you can tell from the look on my face how disappointed in their choice of outfit I was...

It's all good, enough with distractions from the rugby - time to focus on winning this thing !

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1317006639.959271.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1317006639.959271.jpg
    109 KB · Views: 281

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
On the weekend two friends of mine - a couple in their 40s - had beer thrown on them while they were walking in their Wallabies kit on the street in Auckland. This is a relatively minor thing, which can happen anywhere in the world, but it has left them with a very negative impression. Telling people to harden the fark up might apply on the internet, but it certainly shouldn't apply to middle aged people quietly enjoying themselves at a rugby tournament. If tourists need to harden the fark up then there is certainly something amiss.

They'd probably be more upset at being called middle-aged than having the beer thrown on them!

MajorlyRagerly

Trevor Allan (34)

I'm not arguing that at all - the comment of kiwi's needing to chill out applies specifically to that scenario, not the other one!

Status
Not open for further replies.