• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Proposed Nations Championship

Rebel man

Peter Johnson (47)
£60,833,333.33 for their share.

Would six nations fans travel to game as regularly as other test match series?

If you think how much money governments pay for tourism opportunities and to support tours like the Lions tours (I am not directly comparing Lions to 6N) and other inbound tours from lesser nations then a single payoff to ensure more visiting teams and their supporters every year then the price seems pretty cheap to me.
No the £365,000,000 is a one seventh share in the 6 nations

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
If Italy are part owner, they’re entitled to their share. Similar things have happened in other sports, NBA paid a team a share of revenue who didn’t play for 30 years.
Just looked this one up (an article from 10 years back). The owners were absolutely laughing! ...

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Just looked this one up (an article from 10 years back). The owners were absolutely laughing! ...

Yeah $30million a year for nothing. I think the NBA have paid them a settlement since then and its no longer the case.
Edit: $500million buyout in 2014

liquor box

Greg Davis (50)

I think Newtown had a similar deal, or maybe a board membership for a while after they left the league, I will try to look for a link.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
According to The Times (the one that doesn't feel the need to specify where it's domiciled) it's on the Agenda for World Rugby Council Wednesday morning:

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
According to The Times (the one that doesn't feel the need to specify where it's domiciled) it's on the Agenda for World Rugby Council Wednesday morning:

Was just reading that before WOB, and still trying to make up my mind if it will be good or bad, if they can get agreement from all. Could be tasty, and will surely makew a global season get worked out.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
It seems like a formalisation of the current set up into a Championship every two years. It's not that much of a stretch from the current situation. Being separate from the 6N and RC it will be interesting to see if the P/R function that's been proposed presents any issues.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
Apologies if I don't quite have it, but it just sounds like TRC expanded with Japan & Fiji, the winner of expanded TRC plays off against the winner of the Six Nations? Australia won't play a round robin against the home nations?

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
^ TRC & 6N played in their existing windows, cross-over matches in July & November. Sounds like no SF so it only adds a week to the November window rather than two which will help get the Clubs on board.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
the Guardian has a better explanation:
The competition would involve the Six Nations – England, France, Ireland, Italy, Scotland and Wales – in the north while Australia, Argentina, Fiji, New Zealand and South Africa would be joined in the south by Japan, even though it is in the northern hemisphere. European teams would play three matches on their summer tours against three different opponents and face the remaining three southern nations at home in November. The top two in each pool would meet each other in a fourth week in November and it is understood there is some support for a finals day involving all teams, rather than a single fixture between the top two sides.

So, we do play all the NH teams, then the top SH team will play the top NH team again

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
the Guardian has a better explanation:

So, we do play all the NH teams, then the top SH team will play the top NH team again

Bottom ranked team competes in a relegation playoff against the winner of the Challenger Series. Which is probably why they aren't integrating the 6Ns into the overall structure.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
There's actually a few options for finals and P/R. One involves the top 2 from the two pools (however they are determined) playing in the a finals series. There's apparently interest in a 'Finals Day/Weekend' which would feature 6 games with rankings on the line. And for P/R the favourite options seems to be two relegation games. One for the NH (so if Italy comes last they could play Georgia) and one for the SH (say Fiji vs Samoa). There's also possibly of crossover games in the 'odd' years against teams from the Challenger Series while the Lions are touring etc. Which interests me.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
I’ll be interested to see what the revenue sharing agreement is, thats what this is all about after all and the main reason it will fail to get up.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
^ no profit sharing no deal IMO.

In the original article it's mentioned it could see revenues increase by 40% with the prospect of that being higher. If so, then a compromise could be an appearance fee paid to nations that are the away team.

Unless the increase in revenue is significant enough to be able to divvy it up equally.

Last edited:

Rebel man

Peter Johnson (47)
In the original article it's mentioned it could see revenues increase by 40% with the prospect of that being higher. If so, then a compromise could be an appearance fee payed to nations that are the away team.

Unless the increase in revenue is significant enough to be able to divvy it up equally.
40% more for Aus though is still huge. Helps us get back up of the canvas